ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Outstanding tax on self employment and ILR

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Aqeel

Outstanding tax on self employment and ILR

Post by Aqeel » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:34 pm

I'm applying for ILR in June on PEO, I was initially given HSMP and then extension as Tier 1 General at the time of extension I was employed plus a self employed and claimed points on the basis of both sources.

I had to pay HMRC tax on my self employement which was nearly £1900, which I wasnt able to pay because of change of circumstances, and HMRC agreed to a payment plan with me, which I'm paying them regularly on a monthly basis and I still have £1300 outstanding.

My question is since now I'm applying on a full time employment basis ONLY my full time employment is giving me full 20 points which I needed, do you think that outstanding tax can be a problem for me on PEO? can they turn down my application because I've got outstanding tax on my self employment for the year 2010-2011?

Thanks in Advance

selva

Re: Outstanding tax on self employment and ILR

Post by selva » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:50 pm

Aqeel wrote:I'm applying for ILR in June on PEO, I was initially given HSMP and then extension as Tier 1 General at the time of extension I was employed plus a self employed and claimed points on the basis of both sources.

I had to pay HMRC tax on my self employement which was nearly £1900, which I wasnt able to pay because of change of circumstances, and HMRC agreed to a payment plan with me, which I'm paying them regularly on a monthly basis and I still have £1300 outstanding.

My question is since now I'm applying on a full time employment basis ONLY my full time employment is giving me full 20 points which I needed, do you think that outstanding tax can be a problem for me on PEO? can they turn down my application because I've got outstanding tax on my self employment for the year 2010-2011?

Thanks in Advance

It would be good if you can clear the HMRC amount. I believe that it is fine as long as you have agreed and paying on a payment plan.
if you are not going to settle the amount before your PEO then I would suggest you to take the evidence for payment plan and your regular payments records (bank statements or a summary from HMRC)

onabanjo

Re: Outstanding tax on self employment and ILR

Post by onabanjo » Wed May 01, 2013 11:58 am

selva wrote:
Aqeel wrote:I'm applying for ILR in June on PEO, I was initially given HSMP and then extension as Tier 1 General at the time of extension I was employed plus a self employed and claimed points on the basis of both sources.

Thanks in Advance

It would be good if you can clear the HMRC amount. I believe that it is fine as long as you have agreed and paying on a payment plan.
if you are not going to settle the amount before your PEO then I would suggest you to take the evidence for payment plan and your regular payments records (bank statements or a summary from HMRC)

That is a perfect response to your case. However, I will suggest and strongly too that if you can afford to pay off before your ILR date because outstanding tax from extension period is gradually becoming a big issue for those applying for ILR now.
Disclaimer: I am no immigration lawyer nor am I OISC qualified. Don't treat my advice as a substitute for legal opinion.

Aqeel

outstanding tax

Post by Aqeel » Thu May 02, 2013 7:53 pm

Thanks for the response, But the problem is I'm not in a position to pay that off at once? how big of a problem this can be? have you ever come accross anyone in a same boat and being refused on the similar basis.

Thanks,
Aqeel

onabanjo

Re: outstanding tax

Post by onabanjo » Fri May 03, 2013 9:29 am

Aqeel wrote:Thanks for the response, But the problem is I'm not in a position to pay that off at once? how big of a problem this can be? have you ever come accross anyone in a same boat and being refused on the similar basis.

Thanks,
Aqeel

Needless to sound negative about your application but the fact remains that am not speculating.

However, if you are not in the position to pay off the outstanding, the only feasible option available is you sumbit your application with all the evidences from HMRC agreeing to the instalmental payments.You MAY be lucky to scale through primarily because no self-employment now with your ILR application.
Disclaimer: I am no immigration lawyer nor am I OISC qualified. Don't treat my advice as a substitute for legal opinion.