ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Childs Citizenship & Wifes dependent application

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

japs411
Newly Registered

Childs Citizenship & Wifes dependent application

Post by japs411 » Wed May 01, 2013 6:57 am

hi
I completed the naturalisation ceremony on 7th March 2013
Received the British Passport yesterday after the interview etc..
prior to this I had ILR

my son was born on 18th March 2013

Question
1. do I apply for his passport as British citizen ? using my British passport and his Birth Certificate ?
2. if no then alternative please ?

for my wife
My wife entered the country in April 2011 as my dependent (Tier 2 Dependent )
when I received the ILR in Jan 2012 we applied again for her identity card !!
received in July 2012

Question
1. is she eligible to apply for ILR in her own right ? (two year dependent rule )
2. if no then when she is eligible ? July 2014 ?
3. if no to point 1 then do we need to do anything after my citizenship status change ? i.e. send another FLR (M) ?

Your help is much appreciated in this confusing matter

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Wed May 01, 2013 7:15 am

japs411, you baby was British from the moment of birth, so just apply for a British passport in the usual way. The application form, available at many Post Offices, explains what supporting documentation is required.

But you have a problem! Getting an acceptable passport for a baby that young can be quite an ordeal! Do read the guidance, and consider using a professional photographer to get the required photo.

Your wife? Your wife is time-eligible to apply for her ILR now, and having got that could well be able to move on immediately to apply for Naturalisation.
John

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Wed May 01, 2013 7:42 am

@japs411 - as John said, the process is simple. (Assuming the child is in the UK), get an application form from the post office. All that is needed is his Birth certificate. You don't need to send your passport. Just fill in the passport number in the relevant section on the form.

@john - the wife just entered the country 2 years ago (2011).

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Wed May 01, 2013 8:15 am

Jambo, whoops! A simple arithmetical error on my part!

So for the wife, ILR time-qualified now, and assuming ILR granted, apply for Naturalisation after the 3-year mark is reached, say in April 2014.
John

japs411
Newly Registered

Post by japs411 » Wed May 01, 2013 9:21 am

John wrote:Jambo, whoops! A simple arithmetical error on my part!

So for the wife, ILR time-qualified now, and assuming ILR granted, apply for Naturalisation after the 3-year mark is reached, say in April 2014.
thank you guys, that was lightning quick
I have one further query for my wife ...

in SET (0) form what category she is to apply under ?
and will older life in the UK test would suffice?

once again thank you

am1234

Post by am1234 » Wed May 01, 2013 9:27 am

Hi Guys
I need your help please.
Myself and my wife are due for the ILR in 3 months time but our baby will be born 2 months prior to ILR.
Can I register my baby as british citizen? Can skip applying for babys indian passport and skip ILR process?
What documentation i will need for my babys application in that case?
Many Thanks in advance.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Wed May 01, 2013 11:31 am

japs411 wrote:
John wrote:Jambo, whoops! A simple arithmetical error on my part!

thank you guys, that was lightning quick
I have one further query for my wife ...

in SET (0) form what category she is to apply under ?
and will older life in the UK test would suffice?

once again thank you
I would think this should be using SET(M) but I don't know much about ILR. Better to ask in the ILR section of the forum.
Last edited by Jambo on Wed May 01, 2013 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Wed May 01, 2013 11:31 am

am1234 wrote:Hi Guys
I need your help please.
Myself and my wife are due for the ILR in 3 months time but our baby will be born 2 months prior to ILR.
Can I register my baby as british citizen? Can skip applying for babys indian passport and skip ILR process?
What documentation i will need for my babys application in that case?
Many Thanks in advance.
Have you read the FAQ before posting?

See answers in Citizenship FAQs - Common Questions - Read before posting - children.

japs411
Newly Registered

wife's eligibility to travel

Post by japs411 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:48 pm

heloo guys ... bit stuck again and it seems no one is able to advise on other section and was wondering if you have any guidance for me

most of the things are mentioned above however for ease I have summarise things below

- My wife entered UK as my dependent in april2011 ( I had Tier 2 Visa )
- in January 2012 I got ILR, and we applied for revised visa
- July 2012 my wife's new dependent visa arrived
- March 2013 I become British Citizen (my son is born soon after and got British citizenship )
- we are waiting for my wife to apply for her ILR or change her visa status ( since my status has changed ) - before we do that we are waiting for name correction in current passport .... this is delayed due to local embassy on strike !!
- her current visa is valid until July 2014

Question
can she travel outside UK and come back to UK without any issue ? with current visa

as always your help is truly appreciated

thanks

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:26 am

can she travel outside UK and come back to UK without any issue ? with current visa
Well yes, she has a current visa, so can use it. The application for ILR can be made now, but can be delayed until just before the date of expiry of the current visa.

But of course it makes sense to apply as soon as possible, thus ensuring she has ILR next April, so that she can apply for Naturalisation soon after the third anniversary of her arrival date in the UK.
John

japs411
Newly Registered

Post by japs411 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:19 am

hi John

thank you for the clarification, truly appreciate your help

kind regards
John wrote:
Well yes, she has a current visa, so can use it. The application for ILR can be made now, but can be delayed until just before the date of expiry of the current visa.

But of course it makes sense to apply as soon as possible, thus ensuring she has ILR next April, so that she can apply for Naturalisation soon after the third anniversary of her arrival date in the UK.