ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 2 (General), what happens to unmarried partner if died?

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

summ
Newly Registered

Tier 2 (General), what happens to unmarried partner if died?

Post by summ » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:18 pm

Hi, could you please tell me if someone is in the UK on a Tier 2 (General) Visa and that person passes away (dies), what happens to the unmarried partner who came over to the UK with them?

Are they eligible for indefinite leave to remain if they have no other support system anywhere in the world except the UK? Not even their primary country of citizenship? And it would cause them much more hardship to be deported?

And what if they aren't able to apply for a Visa themselves because of not being eligible for any?

Would they be able to apply for indefinite leave to remain if their partner passes away? Thank you.

godistrue

Re: Tier 2 (General), what happens to unmarried partner if d

Post by godistrue » Wed May 01, 2013 8:10 am

summ wrote:Hi, could you please tell me if someone is in the UK on a Tier 2 (General) Visa and that person passes away (dies), what happens to the unmarried partner who came over to the UK with them?

Are they eligible for indefinite leave to remain if they have no other support system anywhere in the world except the UK? Not even their primary country of citizenship? And it would cause them much more hardship to be deported?

And what if they aren't able to apply for a Visa themselves because of not being eligible for any?

Would they be able to apply for indefinite leave to remain if their partner passes away? Thank you.
In my opinion, if your partner is Permanent Resident then you can have a chance to apply for ILR. But if he is in Tier 2, there may not b a chance to apply for ILR. Its better you consult a solicitor, as they can give u proper advice.

makky86
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Tier 2 (General), what happens to unmarried partner if d

Post by makky86 » Wed May 01, 2013 8:55 am

summ wrote:Hi, could you please tell me if someone is in the UK on a Tier 2 (General) Visa and that person passes away (dies), what happens to the unmarried partner who came over to the UK with them?

I really don't get what you mean by "unamrried partner". Please explain a bit further. What visa status that unmarried partner would have ?

"they"? How many partners ? What kind of supprt?

"they"?

Please re write your queury properly.
II Youths a stuff neve endures II

justdopposite

Post by justdopposite » Wed May 01, 2013 12:17 pm

they:

Also used to refer to a person of unspecified sex
eg. ask someone if they could help

makky86
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by makky86 » Wed May 01, 2013 12:40 pm

justdopposite wrote:they:

Also used to refer to a person of unspecified gender
eg. ask someone if they could help
fine but his/her overall query is not understandable.

summ
Newly Registered

Post by summ » Wed May 01, 2013 1:32 pm

OK I'm sorry, I'll write this again.

I'm here in the UK on a Tier 2 (general) visa. I'm female. My male defacto/common law/unmarried partner came over here as my dependent.

If I passed away, would he be granted indefinite leave to remain? If he has no other family or friends or support network anywhere else other than the UK?

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed May 01, 2013 1:38 pm

There are no provisions for a Tier 2 dependant to be granted ILR if the Tier 2 holder dies.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

makky86
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by makky86 » Wed May 01, 2013 1:40 pm

summ wrote:OK I'm sorry, I'll write this again.

I'm here in the UK on a Tier 2 (general) visa. I'm female. My male defacto/common law/unmarried partner came over here as my dependent.

If I passed away, would he be granted indefinite leave to remain? If he has no other family or friends or support network anywhere else other than the UK?
Why would he be granted ILR as he is just on Tier 2 Dependant not a dependant of a settled or British national person.

But I don't get one thing that how did he come on Tier-2 dep Visa even without getting married with you?

Regardless, he will have to leave UK if you pass away. But again , why are you so concerned about your death?

Is everything alright?

summ
Newly Registered

Post by summ » Wed May 01, 2013 1:49 pm

Oh no, I'm absolutely fine!! :) he's got a lot of anxiety and worries alot.

He came over here as my dependent without being married because the UK law accepts defacto and gay marriage etc :)

So there's no way at all for him to stay if something happened to me? :( he is eligible for a UK ancestry visa.... but he can't fly home to get it (fear).

Is he able to work at home on a UK ancestry visa though?

makky86
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by makky86 » Wed May 01, 2013 2:52 pm

summ wrote:Oh no, I'm absolutely fine!! :) he's got a lot of anxiety and worries alot.

He came over here as my dependent without being married because the UK law accepts defacto and gay marriage etc :)

So there's no way at all for him to stay if something happened to me? :( he is eligible for a UK ancestry visa.... but he can't fly home to get it (fear).

Is he able to work at home on a UK ancestry visa though?
Yes no way at all for him to stay if something happens to you .

But in case something happens to you then he can go back to home country and apply UK Ancestory Visa.

If he is scared to go home because of some reasons then he can apply for Asylum.