ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

How do I travel to India

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

1sppandey

How do I travel to India

Post by 1sppandey » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:38 pm

Hello,

I know there are some posts regarding this issue but I have not been able to gain a clear understanding thus posting this. Hopefully some experienced member who might have gone through it would help..!!

What is the best way to travel to India after getting british passport. OCI takes some time to get and in the mean time if I need to travel to india what should I do..?

1) Is it possible to apply for a indian tourist visa on the british passport and once I get it...then submit OCI application and then travel to india.

2) Someone suggested to me that once I get my british Passport then to surrender my Indian Passport and immediately apply for Indian tourist Visa on my British passport....later when I know I dont have any emergency travel plans to India, I can then apply for OCI.

Pls Advice..and thanks in advance

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:38 pm

Ideally, as soon as you receive your BP, then surrender your Indian passport and apply for OCI

Indian passport surrender will take 1-3 weeks
OCI will take 6-8 weeks

If you need to travel to India and can’t wait for OCI, then AFTER surrender of Indian passport apply for an Indian visa. You can submit an OCI application in parallel.

If you need to travel to India urgently and can’t even wait for passport surrender and visa approval, then travel with your Indian passport. If your travel dates are within 3 months from naturalisation then no problem, else you need to pay a penalty during surrender of your passport.

1sppandey

Post by 1sppandey » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:47 pm

ban.s wrote:Ideally, as soon as you receive your BP, then surrender your Indian passport and apply for OCI

OCI will take 6-8 weeks

If you need to travel to India and can’t wait for OCI, then AFTER surrender of Indian passport apply for an Indian visa. You can submit an OCI application in parallel.

If you need to travel to India urgently and can’t even wait for passport surrender and visa approval, then travel with your Indian passport. If your travel dates are within 3 months from naturalisation then no problem, else you need to pay a penalty during surrender of your passport.
Thanks boss
I didnt know that I could apply for Indian Tourist visa and also apply for OCI along with it...I was under the impression that I need to send my British passport along with OCI application as I have seen a friends BP which has a India Visa type of sticker along with OCI..which means I do need to send my BP to Indian HC at some point to enable them to put that sticker on my BP.??

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:54 pm

Tourist visa and OCI are completely separately applications. Moreover, you don't need to submit your BP whilist OCI gets processed.

You need to submit photocopies of passport during OCI application. HCI will verify the original and return back to your immediately (assuming in person application) - after 6-8 weeks - once your OCI is approved and ready for collection, then you need to submit your passport (for U visa stamping) in the morning and collect in the afternoon.

1sppandey

Post by 1sppandey » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:56 pm

ban.s wrote:Tourist visa and OCI are completely separately applications. Moreover, you don't need to submit your BP whilist OCI gets processed.

You need to submit photocopies of passport during OCI application. HCI will verify the original and return back to your immediately (assuming in person application) - after 6-8 weeks - once your OCI is approved and ready for collection, then you need to submit your passport (for U visa stamping) in the morning and collect in the afternoon.
Okie..!! thanks for that info..you sir are a star...keep up the good work..!!

Ctzn2013
Newly Registered

Post by Ctzn2013 » Wed May 01, 2013 10:00 am

ban.s wrote:Ideally, as soon as you receive your BP, then surrender your Indian passport and apply for OCI

OCI will take 6-8 weeks

Has anyone gone through the 'Indian Passport Surrender' process recently? I am planning to surrender mine in the next couple of weeks. Wanted to get a rough idea of timelines. Also OCI application timelines if someone can advise. Thanks!

Update: Just found the right posts on the forum, thanks.

Mauser1905
Member of Standing

Post by Mauser1905 » Fri May 03, 2013 7:40 am

OP:

Ideally the 6-8 weeks mentioned by other member maybe at particular location, if you located elsewhere in the UK other than London area then the timeline vary drastically, e.g. currently in Scotland its 6 months timeline for OCI, so visit visa in advance makes sense in such case.

Good luck.

rossidavid
Newly Registered

Post by rossidavid » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:26 am

India is arguably the most diverse country in the world. Everyone has their own reason to visit - find yours. The more well known attractions are – Taj Mahal, History, Cricket, Spirituality, spicy food, and Business. Here's how you can visit India, and pass off as a local. But one of the best place is Tiruchirapalli, it is the once fortress of Chola dynasty has retained its aura and exuberance that it used to enjoy earlier. The beautiful, massive temples dot this land, stand as icons and edifices of a prolific past. One sight of these temples is good enough to transport tourists into charismatic charm of its bygone era and experience the enchanting allure. This great travel Tiruchirappalli tourism is a fine blend of temples and monuments, industrial and manufacturing companies.