ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Child under 16 - Applying for citizenship

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

anandh79

Child under 16 - Applying for citizenship

Post by anandh79 » Wed May 01, 2013 12:03 pm

Hello,
Myself and my wife just got the PR. My daughter was born in UK when we were in Tier 1 visa.

Please clarify the following.

1. Can i now apply for citizenship for my daughter?

2. If so which form should be using?

3. Is it only through postal or can i go through PEO?

4. Is there a difference between getting registration and applying for passport?

5. Can the child travel after applying only registration or should wait for passport?

Regards
Anandh

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Wed May 01, 2013 12:33 pm

Have you read the FAQ before posting?

1) & 2) See Q1 and link for form in Citizenship FAQs - Common Questions - Read before posting - children.
3) only postal. There isn't PEO although you can use NCS which will photocopy your documents so you can travel.
4) Registration is the process of becoming British. Once British, you can if you wish to apply for a passport.
5) he can travel if he has another passport and if he doesn't require a visa to travel to the UK (otherwise he won't be able to board a flight).

anandh79

Post by anandh79 » Wed May 01, 2013 3:27 pm

Jambo wrote:Have you read the FAQ before posting?

1) & 2) See Q1 and link for form in Citizenship FAQs - Common Questions - Read before posting - children.
3) only postal. There isn't PEO although you can use NCS which will photocopy your documents so you can travel.
4) Registration is the process of becoming British. Once British, you can if you wish to apply for a passport.
5) he can travel if he has another passport and if he doesn't require a visa to travel to the UK (otherwise he won't be able to board a flight).
Hello Jambo,

Thanks for the answers. Read the FAQ and mostly clear except on question 5.

My kid is currently on tier1 status as only myself and my wife converted to ILR.

We are travelling to India this jun 6 and the kid and wife are back on August.

Please clarify the following.

1. Can my kid travel and enter uk with Tier 1 status as it is valid till 2014 march.
2. IF i apply for registration now using NCS within 10 days, will it not affect the registration process as my kid will not be available in UK.

3. Even if point 2 is fine where the kid can travel, does she need to come back immediately for the ceremony or it is ok for postponing.

4. How much time does it take for applying passport.

Regards
Anandh

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Wed May 01, 2013 3:59 pm

anandh79 wrote:1. Can my kid travel and enter uk with Tier 1 status as it is valid till 2014 march.
A valid visa would get him on board a flight. Once you get to the UK, you might need to explain that the child has been applied/granted BC and he should be allowed to enter.

2. IF i apply for registration now using NCS within 10 days, will it not affect the registration process as my kid will not be available in UK.
No. There is no requirement to be in the UK for the application.
3. Even if point 2 is fine where the kid can travel, does she need to come back immediately for the ceremony or it is ok for postponing.
There is no ceremony for children. Once the application is granted (1-2 months), the child becomes British.
If applying from the UK, it can be done in 1 week (fast track. You will need to pay extra for that) or 2-3 weeks (standard fee). There is also an issue with the Indian authorities as by becoming British, he will need to surrender his Indian passport.

anandh79

Post by anandh79 » Thu May 02, 2013 9:47 am

Jambo wrote:
anandh79 wrote:1. Can my kid travel and enter uk with Tier 1 status as it is valid till 2014 march.
A valid visa would get him on board a flight. Once you get to the UK, you might need to explain that the child has been applied/granted BC and he should be allowed to enter.

No. There is no requirement to be in the UK for the application.
There is no ceremony for children. Once the application is granted (1-2 months), the child becomes British.
If applying from the UK, it can be done in 1 week (fast track. You will need to pay extra for that) or 2-3 weeks (standard fee). There is also an issue with the Indian authorities as by becoming British, he will need to surrender his Indian passport.
Thanks Jambo