ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship ceremony and Oath

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

CrD
Newly Registered

Citizenship ceremony and Oath

Post by CrD » Wed May 01, 2013 7:47 pm

now I know this seems trivial for many, but I personally am someone that cares about oaths and stuff like that, I take them serious.

I'm an EU citizen, have been in the UK for 7 years (as a student), and am soon gonna start working here as well.
seeing as I'm in my early 20's, I kinda feel British and want the passport, so I'm thinking of starting the process.

here's my problem:

I (name) swear by Almighty God that on becoming a British citizen, I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second, her Heirs and Successors, according to law.

now, I wouldn't have a problem swearing an oath to protect parliament/the PM, no problem with the pledge. Even if I do not like the current incumbent, he/she will be a democratically elected head of state.
But im a staunch anti monarchist, and will NOT swear to protect something I'd rather see abolished.
Second problem is that I'm also a strict Atheist and won't do that part of the oath Either.

question is, is there any way around this? The way I understand it the "god" part is no problem as I can choose to do the affirmation Instead, leaves the majesty bit.
I can see myself settling down in Britain and already feel like I belong here, so Id like to go for the citizenship. But seeing as its otherwise pretty inconsequential, I wont do so if I have to swear that oath!

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Citizenship ceremony and Oath

Post by Amber » Wed May 01, 2013 7:52 pm

CrD wrote:now I know this seems trivial for many, but I personally am someone that cares about oaths and stuff like that, I take them serious.

I'm an EU citizen, have been in the UK for 7 years (as a student), and am soon gonna start working here as well.
seeing as I'm in my early 20's, I kinda feel British and want the passport, so I'm thinking of starting the process.

here's my problem:

I (name) swear by Almighty God that on becoming a British citizen, I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second, her Heirs and Successors, according to law.

now, I wouldn't have a problem swearing an oath to protect parliament, no problem with the pledge. Even if I do not like the current incumbent, he/she will be a democratically elected head of state.
But im a staunch anti monarchist, and will NOT swear to protect something I'd rather see abolished.
Second problem is that I'm also a strict Atheist and won't do that part of the oath Either.

question is, is there any way around this? The way I understand it the "god" part is no problem as I can choose to do the affirmation Instead, leaves the majesty bit.
I can see myself settling down in Britain and already feel like I belong here, so Id like to go for the citizenship. But seeing as its otherwise pretty inconsequential, I wont do so if I have to swear that oath!
You must swear an Oath of allegiance or Affirmation of allegiance (as well as the Pledge) and I am afraid they both mention the Monarch. The UK is a constitutional monarchy, whether you like it or not. Even if you do not agree with it, it is a formality and to be honest you should set your political bias to one side for that day.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Wed May 01, 2013 8:50 pm

CrD wrote:...I wont do so if I have to swear that oath!
I really appreciate your conviction.

CrD
Newly Registered

Post by CrD » Wed May 01, 2013 9:44 pm

ban.s wrote:
CrD wrote:...I wont do so if I have to swear that oath!
I really appreciate your conviction.
thanks i guess ^^ but like I said, I already hold a perfectly good western European passport, so its pretty inconsequential.
Ill think about it, there may be other reasons to go for it despite the oath, I may just have to do as D4109125 suggested.
Just before I went down that route I wanted certainty that there isn't a way around, so thanks for that!