ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA Family Permit for UK (Surinder Singh) Route via NORWAY

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Graham Weifang
Mood:
China

Post by Graham Weifang » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:17 pm

norwegianish wrote:Of course we will set one up, don't worry : ) Sorry, by "may" I meant "we will set it up once they let us", since they usually require the EEA national to register with the authorities first (f.ex. apply for and receive a "D-Number" (a temporary national security number) and the Registration Certificate, etc.)
You don't need any "D" number to open a bank account.
Just a proof of address, and your passport, thats all.

All very easy in Norway.

Gra.

wiggsy

Post by wiggsy » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:32 pm

Graham Weifang wrote:
norwegianish wrote:Of course we will set one up, don't worry : ) Sorry, by "may" I meant "we will set it up once they let us", since they usually require the EEA national to register with the authorities first (f.ex. apply for and receive a "D-Number" (a temporary national security number) and the Registration Certificate, etc.)
You don't need any "D" number to open a bank account.
Just a proof of address, and your passport, thats all.

All very easy in Norway.

Gra.
In Ireland all you need is a TV license as proof of address (you can get tv license for any address for just 170 euro) and your passport. - so i would assume the same is true for any country...

norwegianish
Newly Registered

Post by norwegianish » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:39 am

wiggsy: Definitely, bank statements will be one of our priorities.
As for the TV license, we probably won't be able to put the household's license in our names, but we can easily get our Norwegian mobile phone/broadband bills linked to our Norway address (we want to do this anyway, for accounting reasons).

Graham: You could be right in general, I'm not sure - all I know is that the bank that we wish to use seems to ask for the D-number, but I will ask...

Thank you both! x

norwegianish
Newly Registered

Post by norwegianish » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:05 am

Hi again everyone, apologies for reviving the thread - we have just stumbled across a few uncertainties:

My spouse needs and wants to keep up his 2-3 main clients in the UK (on a freelance-basis) while we are in Norway. While we will do our best to try to secure at least one Norway-based client, we can't guarantee how much he could earn in the 3 months from any Norway-based clients.

Basically, most of his earnings will be from his existing UK-clients (we can't even guarantee that they would be willing to make the payments to his Norwegian account). If we're lucky, he may pick up a Norway-based client or two, but most likely the amounts will be quite small.

What are your thoughts on this? Would the ECO be willing to view the UK-based income transferred to his Norwegian account + some smaller Norway-based earnings (paid directly to his Norwegian account) as sufficient?

Also, if we set up a join bank account, would they be willing to count our joint earnings? (We work on similar projects and would share a billing address anyway).

(PS: We will otherwise have lots of paperwork to show that he is well-established as a sole-trader in Norway - bank accounts, official business register, confirmed address, registration confirmation, tax ID number, etc.)

ukforever
Member of Standing

Post by ukforever » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:47 am

norwegianish wrote:Hi again everyone, apologies for reviving the thread - we have just stumbled across a few uncertainties:

My spouse needs and wants to keep up his 2-3 main clients in the UK (on a freelance-basis) while we are in Norway. While we will do our best to try to secure at least one Norway-based client, we can't guarantee how much he could earn in the 3 months from any Norway-based clients.

Basically, most of his earnings will be from his existing UK-clients (we can't even guarantee that they would be willing to make the payments to his Norwegian account). If we're lucky, he may pick up a Norway-based client or two, but most likely the amounts will be quite small.

What are your thoughts on this? Would the ECO be willing to view the UK-based income transferred to his Norwegian account + some smaller Norway-based earnings (paid directly to his Norwegian account) as sufficient?

Also, if we set up a join bank account, would they be willing to count our joint earnings? (We work on similar projects and would share a billing address anyway).

(PS: We will otherwise have lots of paperwork to show that he is well-established as a sole-trader in Norway - bank accounts, official business register, confirmed address, registration confirmation, tax ID number, etc.)

there is no minimum threshold u need to earn to go the eu route,and the clients he has in england have nothing to do with what u are looking to do,what matters is that the business is genuine in norway and just to let u know as long as he is registered and pays tax and even if the business is with no profits at all or loosing money or anything else don't matter, what matters is what u mentioned here:
PS: We will otherwise have lots of paperwork to show that he is well-established as a sole-trader in Norway - bank accounts, official business register, confirmed address, registration confirmation, tax ID number, etc.
UK------++++-------****

wiggsy

Post by wiggsy » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:50 am

i read a case from the ECJ about a guy providing services to the EU and his filipino wife caring for his kids (not her kids, her step kids) back in the UK..

I think it was Carpenter - tried searching for a link... the ruling said basically the right to reside in the uk should be granted, because otherwise it would deter the EEA (uk) national from excersising treaty rights. and would cause hinderance for the EEA...

ill keep looking for a link to the case, but the bearing of that case would influence a cross border "frontier" worker such as your spouse :)

here we go...
http://www.eucaselaw.info/mary-carpenter-2002/

caselaw:
http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/Lex ... 60:EN:HTML
THE COURT,

in answer to the question referred to it by the Immigration Appeal Tribunal by order of 16 December 1999, hereby rules:

Article 49 EC, read in the light of the fundamental right to respect for family life, is to be interpreted as precluding, in circumstances such as those in the main proceedings, a refusal, by the Member State of origin of a provider of services established in that Member State who provides services to recipients established in other Member States, of the right to reside in its territory to that provider's spouse, who is a national of a third country.

and the AG's text:
http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/Lex ... 60:EN:HTML
107. Accordingly, I propose that the Court should give the following answer to the question referred to it:

Where a national of a Member State resident in that Member State provides services to persons in other Member States and is married to a spouse who is not a national of a Member State, the spouse who is a national of a non-member country may not rely on Article 49 EC but may rely on Council Directive 73/148/EEC on the abolition of restrictions on movement and residence within the Community for nationals of Member States with regard to establishment and the provision of services, to obtain the right to reside with his or her spouse in the latter's Member State of origin. It must be taken into account here that Directive 73/148 is to be interpreted in the light of freedom to provide services and of fundamental rights, in particular the right to respect for family life.

The answer to the question referred is no different if the spouse who is not a national of a Member State indirectly assists the spouse who is such a national to provide services in other Member States by caring for that spouse's children.

norwegianish
Newly Registered

Post by norwegianish » Wed May 01, 2013 11:21 am

Thanks ukforever & wiggsy : )

OK, so technically they couldn't deny it to us even if we couldn't show any Norway-based income/invoices? Given the nature of his work (start-up businesses, which often don't pay off until lots of groundwork is completed first, if at all!), this seems fair for self-employed/freelancers.

In any case, I hope it wouldn't "harm" our application if we supply bank transcripts of our savings accounts (both UK ISA account and a Norwegian savings account), to show that we will not be a burden on the state.

As mentioned, because self-employed people can only pay tax at the end of the tax year (at the very earliest), we won't have any receipts for PAID tax, but we will have the paperwork showing that he is REGISTERED to pay tax (tax ID, etc.) with Norway - which shows that Norway could charge him tax in the future once required.

Also (possibly a useful tip from WorldBridge): WorldBridge seemed to think that our plan is fine, and added that it would be "perfect" and look good if we both had a joint bank account. He even said that my earnings would be looked at as well, especially if we're both registered to the same bank account/organisation number. This is the first I've heard of the non-EEA family member's earnings being considered at all, but WorldBridge seemed pretty certain of it.

nobodysperfect

Post by nobodysperfect » Wed May 01, 2013 11:39 am

norwegianish wrote:Thanks ukforever & wiggsy : )

OK, so technically they couldn't deny it to us even if we couldn't show any Norway-based income/invoices? Given the nature of his work (start-up businesses, which often don't pay off until lots of groundwork is completed first, if at all!), this seems fair for self-employed/freelancers.
If you dont show any Norway based income it will not be an effective economical activity. It has to be a economic activity rather than just setting up a business to qualify for Singh. The profitability should not matter as long as the activity is genuine.

Thats just my opinion.

wiggsy

Post by wiggsy » Wed May 01, 2013 8:45 pm

nobodysperfect wrote:
norwegianish wrote:Thanks ukforever & wiggsy : )

If you dont show any Norway based income it will not be an effective economical activity. It has to be a economic activity rather than just setting up a business to qualify for Singh. The profitability should not matter as long as the activity is genuine

Thats just my opinion.
no so much in the eyes of the EU...

Read the carpenter case in full (Advocate Generals Text)... and then read the Zambrano Advocate Generals text... (he mentions a lot of cross border "frontier" working in that)
Carpenter above, zambrano AG text: http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/Lex ... 34:EN:HTML

EVERY piece of EU case law can be applied to ANY circumstances if there are "simularities"... it all paints a hell of a big picture...

I just actually remembered the fact that I AM An administrator for a group on the EU schoolnet website... (http://www.eun.org/) ... that would be applying services to the EU... wouldnt it? :) )

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Wed May 01, 2013 11:50 pm

Can I add a vaguely related question...

Once the EU citizen returns to their home member state, I am curious about how subsequent interruptions of their residence are interpreted with respect to the family member.

Is the returning EU citizen considered to have PR (i.e. absences of up to 2 years are fine) or do they need to be aware of absences of more than 6 months?

wiggsy

Post by wiggsy » Thu May 02, 2013 12:08 am

Directive/2004/38/EC wrote:Can I add a vaguely related question...

Once the EU citizen returns to their home member state, I am curious about how subsequent interruptions of their residence are interpreted with respect to the family member.

Is the returning EU citizen considered to have PR (i.e. absences of up to 2 years are fine) or do they need to be aware of absences of more than 6 months?
Time for a FOI request? :P

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Thu May 02, 2013 12:10 am

I would say normal rules apply (6 months, one 12 month for important reasons). The return resident can't be considered holding PR as he has not completed 5 years under the regulations.

wiggsy

Post by wiggsy » Thu May 02, 2013 12:14 am

Jambo wrote:

I would say normal rules apply (6 months, one 12 month for important reasons). The return resident can't be considered holding PR as he has not completed 5 years under the regulations.
but he is already settled - he doesnt have to excersise treaty rights... thus its "implied" PR...

---> https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... gh_route_r

hopefully the wording is clear...

wiggsy

Post by wiggsy » Thu May 02, 2013 12:41 am

BTW: Case C-109/01
http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/Lex ... 09:EN:HTML
Where a national of a Member State married to a national of a non-Member State with whom she is living in another Member State returns to the Member State of which she is a national in order to work there as an employed person and, at the time of her return, her spouse does not enjoy the rights provided for in Article 10 of Regulation No 1612/68 because he has not resided lawfully on the territory of a Member State, the competent authorities of the first-mentioned Member State, in assessing the application by the spouse to enter and remain in that Member State, must none the less have regard to the right to respect for family life under Article 8 of the European Convention for the Protection of Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms, signed at Rome on 4 November 1950, provided that the marriage is genuine.
Basically means that even if the non-EEA doesn't live in the EEA with the BC, then UKBA still have to assess human rights? right?

also:
The provisions of this Directive shall apply to any national of a Member State who resides in or travels to another Member State of the Community, either in order to pursue an activity as an employed or self-employed person, or as a recipient of services.

These provisions shall apply also to the spouse and to members of the family who come within the provisions of the regulations and directives adopted in this field in pursuance of the Treaty.

wiggsy

Post by wiggsy » Thu May 02, 2013 2:50 am

this is the danish singh route info too... same principles apply...?
http://www.nyidanmark.dk/en-us/coming_t ... er_eu-law/

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Thu May 02, 2013 7:49 am

wiggsy wrote: but he is already settled - he doesnt have to excersise treaty rights... thus its "implied" PR...
To obtain PR status one needs to meet the requirements in Regulation 15 which requires (unless the EEA national dies) 5 years of residence. The fact that the returning resident is considered a qualified person without exercising treaty rights doesn't mean he is considered holding PR. if A leads to B, having B doesn't mean you had A.

wiggsy

Post by wiggsy » Thu May 02, 2013 11:19 am

Jambo wrote:
wiggsy wrote: but he is already settled - he doesnt have to excersise treaty rights... thus its "implied" PR...
To obtain PR status one needs to meet the requirements in Regulation 15 which requires (unless the EEA national dies) 5 years of residence. The fact that the returning resident is considered a qualified person without exercising treaty rights doesn't mean he is considered holding PR. if A leads to B, having B doesn't mean you had A.
Which is why the status of the eea bc needs clarifying. (i said implied...)

nobodysperfect

Post by nobodysperfect » Thu May 02, 2013 11:36 am

wiggsy wrote:

Read the carpenter case in full (Advocate Generals Text)... and then read the Zambrano Advocate Generals text... (he mentions a lot of cross border "frontier" working in that)
Carpenter above, zambrano AG text: http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/Lex ... 34:EN:HTML

EVERY piece of EU case law can be applied to ANY circumstances if there are "simularities"... it all paints a hell of a big picture...

I just actually remembered the fact that I AM An administrator for a group on the EU schoolnet website... (http://www.eun.org/) ... that would be applying services to the EU... wouldnt it? :) )

I have read the Carpenter & the Singh judgement and I do not see any mentions about their activity being a non economical activity unless I have missed the specific mentions. Zambrano is a a diff scenario all together as a minor child can not practice their treaty rights in any other member state until they are above a certain age. You will have no success relying on Zambrano+Singh for sure. You might be successful with Carpenter+ Singh however you will need to show some economical activity to qualify. I am not an expert but stating something based on my experience.

You might get your EEA FP based on Surinder Singh without any economical activity however if it is refused it will be a long battle for you. Make your choices wisely.

wiggsy

Post by wiggsy » Thu May 02, 2013 11:41 am

nobodysperfect wrote:
wiggsy wrote:

I have read the Carpenter & the Singh judgement and I do not see any mentions about their activity being a non economical activity unless I have missed the specific mentions. Zambrano is a a diff scenario all together as a minor child can not practice their treaty rights in any other member state until they are above a certain age. You will have no success relying on Zambrano+Singh for sure. You might be successful with Carpenter+ Singh however you will need to show some economical activity to qualify. I am not an expert but stating something based on my experience.

You might get your EEA FP based on Surinder Singh without any economical activity however if it is refused it will be a long battle for you. Make your choices wisely.
What im saying is the ag's opinion... He mentions "potential" movement... He also brings up human rights a lot... And in relation to point 4 of c109/01...

Ity draws a big picture.

You can under the ag's opinions to add context :)

nobodysperfect

Post by nobodysperfect » Thu May 02, 2013 12:08 pm

wiggsy wrote:
nobodysperfect wrote:
wiggsy wrote:

What im saying is the ag's opinion... He mentions "potential" movement... He also brings up human rights a lot... And in relation to point 4 of c109/01...

Ity draws a big picture.

You can under the ag's opinions to add context :)
I still dont see your point. How would rejection of OP`s EEA FP would affect his human rights or be a concern for any potential movement to seek economical activity in the EU? The fundamentals of EEA directive is based around freedom of seeking economical activity within any member state which OP is already doing or able to do without an EEA FP for his family. Zambrano decision is for a minor child who can not practice their treaty rights but OP clearly can. If there is no economical activity the chances of getting the EEA FP is very thin unless this can be overturned by an ECJ.

The activity for a business/self employed person does not necessarily have to be profitable however it has to be economical.

wiggsy

Post by wiggsy » Thu May 02, 2013 1:21 pm

nobodysperfect wrote:
The activity for a business/self employed person does not necessarily have to be profitable however it has to be economical.
economical for who?

the Person or a person from the EEA?

IE: what if im a volunteer who goes to tech in a school in the EEA.
I am then aiding potential free movement within the EEA. aiding their profits ETC and helping others to setup their own lifes...

zambrano AG's texts:
Movement and the classic (economic) rights to freedom of movement

69. It is trite law that, in order to be able to claim classic economic rights associated with the four freedoms, some kind of movement between Member States is normally required. Even in that context, however, it is noteworthy that the Court has accepted the importance of not hindering or impeding the exercise of such rights and has looked askance at national measures that might have a dissuasive effect on the potential exercise of the right to freedom of movement.

71. ....but also the abolition of any restriction, even if it applies without distinction to national providers of services and to those of other Member States, when it is liable to prohibit or otherwise impede the activities of a provider of services established in another Member State where he lawfully provides similar services’. (48).....

73. The Court has, indeed, already accepted some dilution of the notion that the exercise of rights requires actual physical movement across a frontier. Thus, in Alpine Investments,....
Like I said, it all draws onto the picture of "free movement"...

nobodysperfect

Post by nobodysperfect » Thu May 02, 2013 3:26 pm

wiggsy wrote:
nobodysperfect wrote:

IE: what if im a volunteer who goes to tech in a school in the EEA.
I am then aiding potential free movement within the EEA. aiding their profits ETC and helping others to setup their own lifes...

Simple answer is you wont qualify for Singh route as UK interprets the person has to be employed or self employed to qualify. The self employed person is expected to earn some money through the activity. It doesnt matter if the activity is profitable or not. In other words if you spend 5K on advertising your product/service but only made 4K from the business that will be considered as economical activity compared to just merely registering a business and not making a single penny. But this is just my understanding and I am not a lawyer or an expert on this. I am just trying to say that the OP should have some income coming from Norway to qualify for Singh and there is no human right case on refusal of the FP.

Agreed with 73

wiggsy

Post by wiggsy » Thu May 02, 2013 3:49 pm

But what I'm saying is a court will take art 8 into consideration on appeal...

Regardless of legislation etc.

I understand that on singh I need to b employed in uks interpretation.... But note above text... Services included... So extended holidays?

Im just saying "possibilities", but the fact is... The uk interpretation is flawed on most laws.

nobodysperfect

Post by nobodysperfect » Thu May 02, 2013 4:02 pm

wiggsy wrote:But what I'm saying is a court will take art 8 into consideration on appeal...

Regardless of legislation etc.

I understand that on singh I need to b employed in uks interpretation.... But note above text... Services included... So extended holidays?

Im just saying "possibilities", but the fact is... The uk interpretation is flawed on most laws.
Extended holiday to Spain and come back with an EEA FP or code1 stamp. I would love that. ;)

wiggsy

Post by wiggsy » Thu May 02, 2013 5:15 pm

But dont u agree that is excersising treaty rights...

And all of the law is open to interpretation...

Appeal courts clear things like this up.