ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Unpaid tax can cause any effect to get ILR

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

moh1021
Newly Registered

Unpaid tax can cause any effect to get ILR

Post by moh1021 » Fri May 03, 2013 9:23 am

Hi
My friend is in Tier 1 general and about to complete his 5 years in near future. He had pending self-employment tax for 9-10 and 10-11 tax year. He did not bothered to submit his return so that HMRC asked him to pay tax including fine and interest. HMRC no more dealing this payment issue now they asked third party to collect the money from him.

Recently he submit the return for the above tax year and dont want to pay anything. He also submitted tax return for 11-12 and 12-13 and like to pay part of the sum.

To note that he has not made any payment plan with HMRC.

In these circumstances he is applying for ILR. Would it be any problem to get his ILR as long as he is meeting all general point scoring criteria. YOUR answer would be highly appreciated.
Regards,
Hossain

selva

Re: Unpaid tax can cause any effect to get ILR

Post by selva » Fri May 03, 2013 11:08 am

moh1021 wrote:Hi
My friend is in Tier 1 general and about to complete his 5 years in near future. He had pending self-employment tax for 9-10 and 10-11 tax year. He did not bothered to submit his return so that HMRC asked him to pay tax including fine and interest. HMRC no more dealing this payment issue now they asked third party to collect the money from him.

Recently he submit the return for the above tax year and dont want to pay anything. He also submitted tax return for 11-12 and 12-13 and like to pay part of the sum.

To note that he has not made any payment plan with HMRC.

In these circumstances he is applying for ILR. Would it be any problem to get his ILR as long as he is meeting all general point scoring criteria. YOUR answer would be highly appreciated.
Regards,
Hossain
It may affect his/her ILR, not sure whether its come under good character requirements. Did he claim points on the basis of earning 9-10 and 10-11 years, if so it will affect , why cant your friend resolve these issue with HMRC before applying for ILR

Wehi
Newly Registered

Re: Unpaid tax can cause any effect to get ILR

Post by Wehi » Tue May 07, 2013 10:27 pm

selva wrote: It may affect his/her ILR, not sure whether its come under good character requirements.
It will almost certainly come under good character. Not paying or filing your taxes is straight up illegal.

The UKBA are hooked up to the HMRC. When I did my ILR I offered the case worker my Self Assessment statements, she refused them and said there was no need as she can check whether my taxes have been paid on the computer.

sheraz7
Respected Guru

Post by sheraz7 » Tue May 07, 2013 10:35 pm

It will more likely affect ILR application and even bailiffs must have been allocated for that case if the HMRC reminders about payments had been ignored.
Please donot send PM. Write in open forum to facilitate others too.
REGARDS