ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA4 fast processing times or wishful thinking

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

amigovio
Newly Registered

Post by amigovio » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:57 pm

Hi All,

This forum is great. I have followed it for a long time.

This is our case and timeline: Non-EEA (me) & EEA (wife)

EEA 3 & 4 Applications sent: 26/10/2012
EEA 3 & 4 Applications received: 29/10/2012
EEA 3 & 4 Applications date: 25/10/2012
COA received: 19/11/2012
COA date: 12/11/2012
PR: TBC aka I'm still waiting

Well, it was six months on 25/04/2013 so I called the UKBA on that date. A woman first checked if it was over six months and then asked for my case ID. She then said to me that no decision had been made and that I should wait. I said to her it is already six months and my COA stated that they will deal with my case within six months plus all the EU law thingy. She told me to write to the UKBA Permanent Migration in Liverpool to find out more because she couldn't see any updates in my case. I did so and sent my letter as special delivery containing a pre-paid SD envelope for their reply, assuming there would be one.

From that date I have been calling everyday and asking for any updates, obviously I kinda change my question every time but I get the same reply: No decision has been made and I should wait

I think I will give them until the end of the week, then I will contact my MP, I already prepared my letter so just needs emailing.

Just sharing this with everyone.
Last edited by amigovio on Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shawshank
Newly Registered

Post by Shawshank » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:28 pm

Hi Guys,

Plum70, Spike_UK, dsab85 Thanks for your advice on the forum, again any advice is much appreciated. After an email to Rob Whitemans office his secretary came back to me and around 7 working days later I got a letter in the post. So contacting Rob Whitemans office at least moved something forwards. In my case it was the goalposts, but at least for others to know after six months it was a good catalyst to contact the Chief Office. Quoting the EU directive definitely made them respond.

Unfortunately it turns out they refused my application (with right to appeal) on the grounds that we did not give enough documentation regarding my unmarried partners treaty rights. In actual fact we gave them everything to prove this but the older tax codes on an account based exel sheet were not sufficient for the UKBA. We have since gone to HMRC to retrieve all the missing documentation for her employment history. Proving over five years of employment history.

Now in regards to the appeal I am thinking in my case it is a simple handover of missing tax documents to the court within the appeal, so am aiming to represent myself without a solicitor as I would obviously rather save £3000 than pay a solicitor if it is a straight forward appeal and I can do it myself.

I am still considering paying a solicitor therefore I wanted to ask a few questions before I make any decisions, since some of you may have appealed "Orally" and won in the past.

1) How long did it take once you made the appeal to get into the tribunal for a trial?

2) At the appeal did they ask you other questions unrelated to the reason for refusal?

3) Is it necessary to bring all other evidence of the case or just the evidence that UKBA states is the reason for refusal to the trial?

4) In your opinion is it possible to present yourself respectfully without a solicitor, (fyi I called a well known EEA4 solicitor and they said it was very possible in my straight forward case)?

5) In your opinion was the tribunal helpful and understanding, or are they out to make sure you don't get your ILR? Would be nice if they just looked at the facts and moved on.

6) How long after the appeal decision was made did you get your ILR/Residence Card?

Thanks so much for taking the time out to read this, and answer my questions, I really appreciate it.

Many thanks

10/09/2012 RC EEA Family Permit Expired (Unmarried Partner, of 7 years)
14/09/2012 EEA4 Application Sent (Unmarried Partner, of 7 years)
15/10/2012 COA Received (Confirming application start date 14/09/2012)
01/03/2013 5 Months + 2 wks into process called HO (Told to call on exactly 6 mo)
14/03/2013 Exactly 6 Months into process called HO (Told to wait for update, no further information requested, none available)
14/03/2013 Requested passport back
14/03/2013 Sent formal letter of to UKBA L20QN, requesting alternative advice
20/03/2013 Passport received (returned to me)
26/03/2013 Sent email to Member of Parliament soliciting assistance with the case.
27/03/2013 Received email from office of MP that they had chased my case and would revert as soon as possible.
04/04/2013 Contacted office of Rob Whiteman, Chief Executive of UKBA to assist with the application.
05/04/2013 Sent formal complaint letters to the agency
08/04/2013 Recieved email from Rob Whitemans Office, chasing Case Workers
23/04/2013 Recieved Refusal with right to appeal

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:00 pm

Shawshank wrote: Unfortunately it turns out they refused my application (with right to appeal) on the grounds that we did not give enough documentation regarding my unmarried partners treaty rights.
Did the refusal letter give examples of the sort of documents the UKBA would like to see in favour of your spouse's (self)employment? Did you originally provide any of the ffg?: P60s/P45s, payslips, employers'/accountant's letters, (business) bank statements or HMRC self assessment statements?
Shawshank wrote:Now in regards to the appeal I am thinking in my case it is a simple handover of missing tax documents to the court within the appeal, so am aiming to represent myself without a solicitor.
I see no problem with this provided you can confidently represent yourself fully backed with knowledge of the relevant sections of the EU Directive and sufficient documentary evidence to refute the UKBA's refusal.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:17 pm

@ Shawshank, please note this sticky.

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=105916

Jbee 1976
Newly Registered

EEA3 and EEA4 - PR received in just over 6 Weeks

Post by Jbee 1976 » Wed May 01, 2013 3:37 pm

Hi , I just wanted to share my experience.

Myself ( Irish) and my unmarried partner ( South African ) applied for our PR and have received everything back in the super fast time of 6 weeks and 4 days. Timeline below

EEA3 & EE4 Applications sent : 13.03.2013
EEA3 & EEA4 Applications received : 14.03.2013
COA Received : 03.04.2013
COA Letter Date :01.04.2013
1st Email to LiverpoolEuro.PassportReturns@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk for request of passport return for business travel 02.04.2013
2nd Email to RODRequests@UKBA.gsi.gov.uk for request of passport return for business travel 29.04.2013
Conformation e mail that passports have been returned by recorded delivery 30.04.2013
Collected Passports at the Post office with all original documents and PR 01.05.2013

I was really surprised at the fast turnaround as i was expecting to wait at least 3 months after ready other comments on this forum.

[/b]

Hubba

Re: EEA3 and EEA4 - PR received in just over 6 Weeks

Post by Hubba » Wed May 01, 2013 5:30 pm

Jbee 1976 wrote:Hi , I just wanted to share my experience.

Myself ( Irish) and my unmarried partner ( South African ) applied for our PR and have received everything back in the super fast time of 6 weeks and 4 days. Timeline below

EEA3 & EE4 Applications sent : 13.03.2013
EEA3 & EEA4 Applications received : 14.03.2013
COA Received : 03.04.2013
COA Letter Date :01.04.2013
1st Email to LiverpoolEuro.PassportReturns@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk for request of passport return for business travel 02.04.2013
2nd Email to RODRequests@UKBA.gsi.gov.uk for request of passport return for business travel 29.04.2013
Conformation e mail that passports have been returned by recorded delivery 30.04.2013
Collected Passports at the Post office with all original documents and PR 01.05.2013

I was really surprised at the fast turnaround as i was expecting to wait at least 3 months after ready other comments on this forum.

[/b]
I don't know if I'm happy to read this or mad for you to get my hopes up
:) .

Congratulations, mate.

Tyro

Am I eligible for EEA4: wife got PR already

Post by Tyro » Wed May 01, 2013 9:45 pm

Hi All,
Please help me with your expert advise on following situation.

My wife EU National and have received her PR recently. We have been married since 2007 October. But I was on HSMP work permit visa and didn't get EEA2 residence card until November 2009. I have EEA FAMILY MEMBER RESIDENCE CARD till November 2014. I am just wondering if I can apply for EEA4 now, as I have been married for more than five years to EU national and she has received her PR already.

And if I can apply, what documents will be sufficient to prove relationship and proof of living together for 5 years.

Many Thanks to you all

Jambo
Respected Guru

Re: Am I eligible for EEA4: wife got PR already

Post by Jambo » Wed May 01, 2013 10:16 pm

Tyro wrote:Hi All,
Please help me with your expert advise on following situation.

My wife EU National and have received her PR recently. We have been married since 2007 October. But I was on HSMP work permit visa and didn't get EEA2 residence card until November 2009. I have EEA FAMILY MEMBER RESIDENCE CARD till November 2014. I am just wondering if I can apply for EEA4 now, as I have been married for more than five years to EU national and she has received her PR already.

And if I can apply, what documents will be sufficient to prove relationship and proof of living together for 5 years.

Many Thanks to you all
Assuming your were married and living in the UK for 5 years, then you can apply for PR Confirmation using form EEA4 even if you were on a different visa for part of the time. Check the application form for required documents but a marriage certificate is enough to prove relationship and there are several ways to prove residency (P60s, tenancy agreements, utility bills etc). You don't need to prove you have been living together just that you were living in the UK.

Tyro

Am I eligible for EEA4: wife already got PR already

Post by Tyro » Wed May 01, 2013 11:22 pm

thanks for quick reply, I assume that I only have to provide my five years residence in Uk. I have five years P60 and council tax bills. Will that be enough. And I don't have to provide any work related or utility bill for my wife as she has already got he PR. I will send her original passport, Pr and our marriage certificate.

Shall I also include our joint account bank statements, plus some of my statements.

Many Thanks

Tyro

Re: Am I eligible for EEA4: wife already got PR already

Post by Tyro » Wed May 01, 2013 11:25 pm

Jambo wrote:.
Assuming your were married and living in the UK for 5 years, then you can apply for PR Confirmation using form EEA4 even if you were on a different visa for part of the time. Check the application form for required documents but a marriage certificate is enough to prove relationship and there are several ways to prove residency (P60s, tenancy agreements, utility bills etc). You don't need to prove you have been living together just that you were living in the UK.
Many Thanks

Thanks for quick reply, I assume that I only have to provide my five years residence in Uk. I have five years P60 and council tax bills. Will that be enough. And I don't have to provide any work related or utility bill for my wife as she has already got he PR. I will send her original passport, Pr and our marriage certificate.

Shall I also include our joint account bank statements, plus some of my statements.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Wed May 01, 2013 11:49 pm

Tyro wrote:
Jambo wrote:.
Many Thanks

Thanks for quick reply, I assume that I only have to provide my five years residence in Uk. I have five years P60 and council tax bills. Will that be enough. And I don't have to provide any work related or utility bill for my wife as she has already got he PR. I will send her original passport, Pr and our marriage certificate.

I'm not a big fan of bank statements. I don't see any added value submitting them if you already submit P60s and council tax bills as proof of residence.

Tyro

Post by Tyro » Thu May 02, 2013 10:31 am

Jambo wrote:
Tyro wrote:
Jambo wrote: Shall I also include our joint account bank statements, plus some of my statements.
I'm not a big fan of bank statements. I don't see any added value submitting them if you already submit P60s and council tax bills as proof of residence.
Thanks, just to have opinion, I am sending following document with my EEA4 Application

Original Passport of me+ my wife (EU) + Her PR document + Marriage Certificate
5 years of council tax ( both mine and my wife's name is there)
5 Years of P60 of me
2 passport size photos+ Duly filled form

Is including a covering letter good idea, explaining why I am applying before I have completed five years on EEA2 Stamp???

Also shall I include some of my latest bank statement/ or as Jambo said no need to statements..

Please advise... Jambo please comment on above list.

Thanks

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Thu May 02, 2013 12:12 pm

Tyro wrote:
Jambo wrote:
Tyro wrote:
Jambo wrote: Shall I also include our joint account bank statements, plus some of my statements.
Thanks, just to have opinion, I am sending following document with my EEA4 Application

Original Passport of me+ my wife (EU) + Her PR document + Marriage Certificate
5 years of council tax ( both mine and my wife's name is there)
5 Years of P60 of me
2 passport size photos+ Duly filled form

Is including a covering letter good idea, explaining why I am applying before I have completed five years on EEA2 Stamp???

Also shall I include some of my latest bank statement/ or as Jambo said no need to statements..

Please advise... Jambo please comment on above list.

Thanks
Documents list looks fine. If you wish you can add a cover letter just saying you are applying for confirmation of your PR status as you have completed 5 years of residence in accordance with the EEA Regulations. You don't need to explain why you apply before the RC expires. You can also add that you provide your wife's PR card as proof of her status and that as proof of residence you provide P60s ad council tax bills.

amigovio
Newly Registered

PR

Post by amigovio » Fri May 03, 2013 8:14 am

Hi All,

Just to say a big thanks to @Shawshank, it's nice to see people willing to help others in our quest for PR.

Well, just updating... I didn't wait until the end of the week for them to reply my letter. They didn't so far and it's highly likely that they won't (99.9% sure). So I emailed my MP and on the same day someone from my MP's office got back to me just to say the following:

"... Home Office today advise me your case has been passed to the caseworking unit in Liverpool who will go on to deal with your case but that they are unable to give an indication of when it will be passed to a caseworker and ultimately resolved. I appreciate that the Home Office provide the 6 month guideline for resolving applications but I am afraid it is not uncommon for them to take longer than this. Should there be circumstances requiring the urgent return of your documents we would be happy to try and facilitate this..."

First thought: what kind of joke is this?! gotta wait two extra months!
I didn't see that one coming so I'm planning to email them again. Can anyone tell me if it is actually a binding rule that an outcome is reached within 6 months or just a "guideline", before I email them back.

Thanks!

Jambo
Respected Guru

Re: PR

Post by Jambo » Fri May 03, 2013 8:29 am

amigovio wrote:Hi All,

Just to say a big thanks to @Shawshank, it's nice to see people willing to help others in our quest for PR.

Well, just updating... I didn't wait until the end of the week for them to reply my letter. They didn't so far and it's highly likely that they won't (99.9% sure). So I emailed my MP and on the same day someone from my MP's office got back to me just to say the following:

"... Home Office today advise me your case has been passed to the caseworking unit in Liverpool who will go on to deal with your case but that they are unable to give an indication of when it will be passed to a caseworker and ultimately resolved. I appreciate that the Home Office provide the 6 month guideline for resolving applications but I am afraid it is not uncommon for them to take longer than this. Should there be circumstances requiring the urgent return of your documents we would be happy to try and facilitate this..."

First thought: what kind of joke is this?! gotta wait two extra months!
I didn't see that one coming so I'm planning to email them again. Can anyone tell me if it is actually a binding rule that an outcome is reached within 6 months or just a "guideline", before I email them back.

Thanks!
Unlike applications under the immigration rules and naturalisation applications (which the MP is more likely to be familiar with), the legislation in the EEA regulations is very clear. The HO must issue the PR Confirmation within 6 months. See Regulation 18(2).

mcclane

COA

Post by mcclane » Fri May 03, 2013 10:53 am

applied for EEA3and EEA4 on 15 March and still have not received COA Phoned them and they said I have to write them for asking COA which I did and still waiting. Dont know what to do!

MissS
Newly Registered

Post by MissS » Fri May 03, 2013 11:13 am

Hi all,
PR received today 03 May 2013, dated 16 April 2013. Application made 14 December 2012 (unmarried partner). Good luck to those who are still waiting, and thanks to these boards for all the advice :)

Sb11
Newly Registered

Post by Sb11 » Fri May 03, 2013 11:35 am

Hi all,

I am wondering if I really need to apply for PR to be confirmed in my passport?

Apparently, direct family members do not need to apply for confirmation but not having it confirmed in passports makes changing jobs and travelling out, and then back in, more difficult.

My situation is that my Residence Document was delayed by eight months during processing. And, I sent my application to HO about 4 months later than I should have due to job search. So, the actual five years accounted for in the passport began 12 months later (HO processing delay + job search delay).

That gives me an advantage of having the residence status confirmed in my passport for another year, at the end of which I wish to directly apply for naturalisation. Doing this will cut down the application processing delays which most members have been facing.

So, I am seeking advice of anyone who had done this similarly before. I only wish that British naturalisation department will be able to understand my situation which I will of course back up with plenty of documental proof.

I have read through some documents and the text right on the top of page two of EEA4 form is quoted below, which means that I do not need to do this.

"There is no legal requirement for non-EEA or non-Swiss national direct family members of EEA or Swiss nationals who are exercising Treaty rights in the UK to obtain a permanent residence card to confirm their right of residence in the UK. Any such non-EEA or non-Swiss national applying for a permanent residence card does so on an entirely voluntary basis"

Thank you in advance.

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Fri May 03, 2013 12:44 pm

Sb11 wrote: My situation is that my Residence Document was delayed by eight months during processing. And, I sent my application to HO about 4 months later than I should have due to job search. So, the actual five years accounted for in the passport began 12 months later (HO processing delay + job search delay).

That gives me an advantage of having the residence status confirmed in my passport for another year, at the end of which I wish to directly apply for naturalisation. Doing this will cut down the application processing delays which most members have been facing.

So, I am seeking advice of anyone who had done this similarly before. I only wish that British naturalisation department will be able to understand my situation which I will of course back up with plenty of documental proof.
You are correct. PR confirmation is not mandatory for naturalisation if sufficient evidence exists to prove that it has been attained and maintained. My naturalisation application was successful without a PR document and I submitted my P60s and payslips spanning 5 years to prove my settled status.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Fri May 03, 2013 1:09 pm

Sb11 wrote:Hi all,

I am wondering if I really need to apply for PR to be confirmed in my passport?

Apparently, direct family members do not need to apply for confirmation but not having it confirmed in passports makes changing jobs and travelling out, and then back in, more difficult.

My situation is that my Residence Document was delayed by eight months during processing. And, I sent my application to HO about 4 months later than I should have due to job search. So, the actual five years accounted for in the passport began 12 months later (HO processing delay + job search delay).

I have read through some documents and the text right on the top of page two of EEA4 form is quoted below, which means that I do not need to do this.

"There is no legal requirement for non-EEA or non-Swiss national direct family members of EEA or Swiss nationals who are exercising Treaty rights in the UK to obtain a permanent residence card to confirm their right of residence in the UK. Any such non-EEA or non-Swiss national applying for a permanent residence card does so on an entirely voluntary basis"

Thank you in advance.
I suggest you check the British Citizenship section of the forum.

Also worth reading Q1 & Q5 in Citizenship FAQs - Common Questions - Read before posting.

If your case is straightforward (i.e. EEA national was employed for 5 years without breaks), then you can skip EEA4 without much risk.

Sb11
Newly Registered

Post by Sb11 » Fri May 03, 2013 1:33 pm

Hi Jambo,

Thanks for guiding me to the right direction.

In conclusion, since my case is quite straight-forward, I will be able to wait for six years in a go and then apply for naturalisation.

This will save me a lot of time and frustration of not having my passport and unnecessary delays like processing times.

I hope others readers also benefit from this information and will utilise it to make an appropriate decision for themselves as well.

Thanks again :)

Sb11
Newly Registered

Post by Sb11 » Fri May 03, 2013 1:36 pm

Plum70 wrote:
Sb11 wrote: My situation is that my Residence Document was delayed by eight months during processing. And, I sent my application to HO about 4 months later than I should have due to job search. So, the actual five years accounted for in the passport began 12 months later (HO processing delay + job search delay).

You are correct. PR confirmation is not mandatory for naturalisation if sufficient evidence exists to prove that it has been attained and maintained. My naturalisation application was successful without a PR document and I submitted my P60s and payslips spanning 5 years to prove my settled status.

Thank you Plum70, also much appreciated.

I was similarly planning to use my P60s and other official documents. That's a relief to hear they do consider such cases. Congratulations to you!

admir
Newly Registered

Post by admir » Sat May 04, 2013 3:33 am

Plum70 wrote:
admir wrote:my wife is slovakian but now she is british.
got married 6 1/2 years ago so i should've applied 1 year and half ago

she became british citizen 8 months ago
It looks like Slovakia allows its citizens acquire dual citizenship so I do not think that you have lost your right to PR under EU law. In which case you can apply to naturalise now having automatically acquired PR and being the spouse of a dual British/Slovakian citizen OR wait till you have PR confirmation.

See what the UKBA's decision is and take it from there.
slovakia dose not allows dual citizens but they havent send any thing back so i am worry it they going to refused. wich i have to go back home and start from the start under uk law thast what a solicitor told me i dont know if is tru or not

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Sat May 04, 2013 5:27 pm

admir wrote: slovakia dose not allows dual citizens but they havent send any thing back so i am worry it they going to refused. wich i have to go back home and start from the start under uk law thast what a solicitor told me i dont know if is tru or not
Wait to receive the UKBA's decision and then proceed from there.

iancoetzee
Newly Registered

GOT IT!!!

Post by iancoetzee » Tue May 07, 2013 5:21 pm

Hi all

Been following peoples responses here and I have finally got my Residence permit after just 2 1/2 months!! :)

20th Feb - Special dleivery of EEA4 form received by Border Agency
6th March - Received COA ( certificate of application )
3rd May - Received all docs back in Special Delivery envelope i provided and of course my passport with residence sticker!

YEY! Gotta be one of the quickest turnarounds on this board , but I made sure to provide a tonne of info.

Let me know if you need any guidance as would be happy to help others get theres done quickly too.

Regards