ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation approval letter

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

jcisco

Naturalisation approval letter

Post by jcisco » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:59 am

Just wanted to know, what happens if the naturalisation approval letter doesn't reach the recipient (lost in transit)? I know homeoffice won't reply on the progress of the application until six months from the date of application.

Does any one have any experience where they contacted homeoffice after six months and found out that the application was actually approved long time ago but never received the approval letter?

Somudro
Member of Standing

Post by Somudro » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:02 am

Why are you worried?

jcisco

Post by jcisco » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:07 pm

Thanks for you reply. I am just concerned a bit and want to know if anyone had this type of experience.

lynxukauq
Member of Standing

Post by lynxukauq » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:26 pm

very good question, I would also like to know the answer to this..

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:35 pm

There was someone reporting a similar story a few months back.

He never got the letter and when called after 6 months, he discovered he missed the 3 months ceremony deadline... He explained what happened and the HO just issued a new letter with a new 3 months deadline.

One way to check your status is to call your council (once a month?). They could tell you if they already got your certificate (some councils are just waiting for you to call them to book the ceremony).

barnaby

Re: Naturalisation approval letter

Post by barnaby » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:37 pm

jcisco wrote:Just wanted to know, what happens if the naturalisation approval letter doesn't reach the recipient (lost in transit)? I know homeoffice won't reply on the progress of the application until six months from the date of application.

Does any one have any experience where they contacted homeoffice after six months and found out that the application was actually approved long time ago but never received the approval letter?
Contact your council to ask whether they will automatically send an invitation to the ceremony when they receive the naturalization certificate. If they do, there is no need to worry, because it's unlikely that the council letter will be lost as well as the HO letters.

numfon

Post by numfon » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:20 pm

barnaby wrote:
jcisco wrote:Just wanted to know, what happens if the naturalisation approval letter doesn't reach the recipient (lost in transit)? I know homeoffice won't reply on the progress of the application until six months from the date of application.

Contact your council to ask whether they will automatically send an invitation to the ceremony when they receive the naturalization certificate. If they do, there is no need to worry, because it's unlikely that the council letter will be lost as well as the HO letters.

But you need approved letter otherwise you cant go to ceremony Am I right ?

barnaby

Post by barnaby » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:50 pm

numfon wrote:But you need approved letter otherwise you cant go to ceremony Am I right ?
Good point. If the HO letter is lost, there is still the problem of getting a replacement. But the OP was worried about the impossibility of finding out whether a HO letter has even been sent.

jcisco

Post by jcisco » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:29 pm

barnaby wrote:

I have checked with Council and they don't send any invitation letter for the ceremony when they receive naturalization certificate. Also they won't be able to check if they have received anyone's naturalization certificate without the reference number given on the approval letter .

So the only choice is to wait.....

jagait

Post by jagait » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:34 pm

jcisco wrote:
barnaby wrote:

I have checked with Council and they don't send any invitation letter for the ceremony when they receive naturalization certificate. Also they won't be able to check if they have received anyone's naturalization certificate without the reference number given on the approval letter .

So the only choice is to wait.....
Did you apply via NCS or postal.

If postal you will get your documents back along with the approval letter.

barnaby

Post by barnaby » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:43 pm

jcisco wrote:I have checked with Council and they don't send any invitation letter for the ceremony when they receive naturalization certificate. Also they won't be able to check if they have received anyone's naturalization certificate without the reference number given on the approval letter.
In that case, if the HO letter gets lost, you won't find out until 6 months (plus a few weeks to contact them?) have elapsed.

If the HO had a simple online tracking system to show whether an application has been received, approved, etc., it would avoid a lot of problems...

totallylegit

Post by totallylegit » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:05 pm

This exact thing happened to me!

I applied on Jan 25. In early March I was getting anxious as I didnt hear anything and I called Hackney to see if they had any news. They told me they had my certificate and were waiting for me to confirm my ceremony booked for 5th April. They were able to confirm it over the phone and I thought that was that.

The week of my ceremony rolls around and STILL nothing from the Home Office. So I called Hackney again to make sure I was OK and what did i need to bring. They told me I still good and just needed to show up with my passport and letter from the Home Office confirming my citizenship (the one that never arrived). I told them I didnt get it, and they said that I absolutely needed it or they could not let me participate in the ceremony.

So I began the frantic effort to get in touch with UKBA and the HO. I could not get in touch with anyone! All phone calls lead to 'please send an email'. All emails were met with no response. Fax- nothing! Talking to other departments gave me no luck either.

I spent time with Hackney Council on the phone (all very polite and as helpful as they could be) but they couldnt really do anything as the letter had to come from the UKBA and they had no way of speaking to them either. I finally went down to Hackney Council and spoke with a very helpful girl, she said I wouldnt be able to come to my scheduled ceremony, but they would see if they could get anywhere.

I got a phone call at 5.30pm the night before my ceremony from the same girl at Hackney- she was able to call the Home Office and speak to someone in the wrong department- but convince them to walk across the office to speak to someone in the right department. That person was able to confirm all my details and was able to fax a copy of the letter to Hackney and send another letter directly to Hackney to satisfy them.

So, I was able to go to my ceremony as planned. A truly frustrating experience and I dont wish it on anyone. I am really pleased with the girl that helped me out, she went well above and beyond her job and could have easily just said 'you need to speak to UKBA.'.

So good luck if this has happened to you!

jcisco

Post by jcisco » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:50 pm

totallylegit wrote:This exact thing happened to me!

. They told me they had my certificate and were waiting for me to confirm my ceremony booked for 5th April. They were able to confirm it over the phone and I thought that was that.
Thanks for sharing your experience. What information did you provide to Hackney council to check if they have received your certificate? I have spoken with my council and they said they can't search anything without HO approval letter reference number!!

totallylegit

Post by totallylegit » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:04 pm

I gave them my name and they were able to look up to see if they had me allocated to a ceremony.
jcisco wrote:
totallylegit wrote:This exact thing happened to me!

. They told me they had my certificate and were waiting for me to confirm my ceremony booked for 5th April. They were able to confirm it over the phone and I thought that was that.
Thanks for sharing your experience. What information did you provide to Hackney council to check if they have received your certificate? I have spoken with my council and they said they can't search anything without HO approval letter reference number!!

jcisco

Post by jcisco » Wed May 01, 2013 6:17 pm

After few emails I got this reply from homeoffice.

"Thank you for your response.

A decision was made on your application in March and a decision letter despatched to your address on 19th.

I have submitted a request to have a duplicate letter dispatched, which should be sent within the next week. The letters are sent be second class post, so please allow 10 days for delivery."

So I am assuming my application was approved as my case was straight forward but the approval letter got lost in transit. Hopefully I will get in next two weeks.

desertlord

Post by desertlord » Wed May 01, 2013 8:29 pm

Him good luck mate with your letter, what email address did you use to email about your application? and how many times/ how long did it take them to reply to your email?
what information did you put in your email? ie your name and passport number or did you put something else?

HSMP9999

Good luck with your letter, I have 2 questions

Post by HSMP9999 » Wed May 01, 2013 9:24 pm

jcisco wrote:After few emails I got this reply from homeoffice.

"Thank you for your response.

A decision was made on your application in March and a decision letter despatched to your address on 19th.

I have submitted a request to have a duplicate letter dispatched, which should be sent within the next week. The letters are sent be second class post, so please allow 10 days for delivery."

So I am assuming my application was approved as my case was straight forward but the approval letter got lost in transit. Hopefully I will get in next two weeks.
Good luck with your letter, I have 2 questions

1. What is email address you have used
2. How many emails you have send, I have sent 2 emails but no reply so far.

Honestly it is quite disturbing to see quite few ppl facing this situation. not sure what can be done to make this better.

HSMP9999

update

Post by HSMP9999 » Thu May 02, 2013 12:39 pm

Finally I got update from UKBA" after email and written letters to UKBA.

"We do not sent acknowledgement letters for applications that are submitted via the Nationality Checking Service (NCS).

If we require any further information from you, we will write to you directly."

This means my application is still under process. Waiting for good news.

jcisco

Post by jcisco » Thu May 02, 2013 12:44 pm

Hi,

I initially emailed on the address given on HO website but just got automated reply. Then I called HO and found that I can send email on NationalityProgress@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk

In my first email, I just provided my application ref number so they replied back saying that I need to provide Full Name, DoB, Nationality & address. They also mention that the application needs to be with them for 6 months or more. I replied with all the information and also explained that I just need to confirm if the application is still in process and they haven't sent any letter to me. After that I got the reply mentioned in my above post.

They normally respond to the emails within two working days.

jcisco

Re: update

Post by jcisco » Thu May 02, 2013 12:48 pm

HSMP9999 wrote: "We do not sent acknowledgement letters for applications that are submitted via the Nationality Checking Service (NCS).
That's strange. I received acknowledgement letter with the application reference number even though I applied through NCS.

HSMP9999

Post by HSMP9999 » Fri May 03, 2013 10:55 am

jcisco wrote:
HSMP9999 wrote: "We do not sent acknowledgement letters for applications that are submitted via the Nationality Checking Service (NCS).
That's strange. I received acknowledgement letter with the application reference number even though I applied through NCS.
New email reply " PS: You should be receiving a decision letter shortly " hoping to have good news this time :)

atukflrn

Post by atukflrn » Fri May 03, 2013 11:27 am

HSMP9999 wrote:
jcisco wrote:
New email reply " PS: You should be receiving a decision letter shortly " hoping to have good news this time :)
@HSMP9999: Good luck.

What did you mention in your email?

HSMP9999

Post by HSMP9999 » Fri May 03, 2013 12:49 pm

atukflrn wrote:
HSMP9999 wrote:
jcisco wrote:
@HSMP9999: Good luck.

What did you mention in your email?
@atukflrn
I asked them for ref number bc i never received any ack letter from UKBA, I got above mentioned reply.

atukflrn

Post by atukflrn » Fri May 03, 2013 12:55 pm

Thanks @HSMP9999

desertlord

Post by desertlord » Fri May 03, 2013 2:39 pm

Thanks mate for the email address.