ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Spouse visa & travelling to EU countries for holidays. V

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Earthling
Newly Registered

Spouse visa & travelling to EU countries for holidays. V

Post by Earthling » Sat May 04, 2013 10:47 am

My husband has an Indian passport. He is currently on a two-year spouse visa, hopefully getting ILR in January 2014.

We are going on holiday to Greece in the summer and I'm trying to work out if he needs a visa or not.

The Greek embassy website is very confusing. It says:
Family members of EU/EEA/CH nationals who are holders of the relevant British residence documentation (click to see) do not require a visa in order to enter Greece, under the condition that they are accompanied by the EU citizen or they are going to join him/her.
When I "click to see" the residence permit looks different from his: Image

My husband's says Type of permit: SPOUSE/PARTNER LEAVE TO REMAIN and Remarks: WORK PERMITTED. It doesn't say "family member of an EU national" anywhere.

At other points on the embassy website it says family members don't need an appointment for a visa, or they don't need to pay for a visa, implying that they DO need a visa.

Can anybody help? Who can I call, besides the Greek embassy who don't answer the phone, to get a definite answer? Getting to the embassy is not very easy for us and I don't want to do it just to ask a question.[/img]

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sat May 04, 2013 2:11 pm

Your husband will need a Schengen visa even once he's been granted ILR. This should be issued free of charge. Airlines won't permit travel without one.
The permit referred to is issued under EU regulations. Your husband has a UK visa.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Sat May 04, 2013 7:27 pm

Also, if you download the schengen visa form, you will see that only certain sections require to be completed.