ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship through parent

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

androol
Newly Registered

Citizenship through parent

Post by androol » Wed May 08, 2013 2:23 pm

Deleted by author
Last edited by androol on Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jeupsy

Post by jeupsy » Wed May 08, 2013 3:49 pm

In summary, as long as that person is indeed your father and was born in Ireland. You have been an Irish citizen since your birth, and your children can also become Irish.

The summary table on this page will help you undertand the details: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/mo ... tml#l1f4da

I am not absolutely sure, but as long as you can provie both birth certificates and all the details match, I doubt they will try to contact your father or require you to contact him.

barnaby

Re: Citizenship through parent

Post by barnaby » Wed May 08, 2013 3:58 pm

androol wrote:would I need to get a copy of his ID or death certificate to register my children, or would my information alone be sufficient as I was technically an Irish citizen from birth, not a through a foreign births registration.
Yes, I'm pretty sure that you would need a copy of his ID or death certificate to register your children. I needed to provide that for both my parent and grandparent when I registered myself recently.

androol
Newly Registered

Post by androol » Thu May 09, 2013 5:54 am

Deleted by Author
Last edited by androol on Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

barnaby

Post by barnaby » Thu May 09, 2013 9:14 am

androol wrote:A question for you: was your parent officially recognized as an Irish citizen by virtue of a Irish passport or some other official document? In other words did your parent (assuming not born in Ireland) ever stake an official claim to their Irish citizenship or is this something you are doing on your own? The reason I ask it seems if your parent does not officially claim their Irish citizenship then a person in effect has to claim it through their Irish born grandparent. In a case where the non-Irish born parent does officially claim their Irish citizenship, which is effective since birth, then their children get their citizenship via their parent, not their Irish born grand parent.
No, my parent is in his 70s but hadn't realized that he was an Irish citizen until I told him recently!

You might have found a loophole in the system. If you apply for your Irish passport first, you only need to supply your parent's birth certificate (according to what it says on the passport application form), but not his ID or death certificate. Then you might only need to supply your own documents later when you do the FBR thing for your children. (But better check this with the embassy FBR people.)

Brigid from Ireland
Member of Standing

Post by Brigid from Ireland » Thu May 09, 2013 12:43 pm

Hi Androol,

You should have no problems at all.

Get your Irish passport first.

Then register your children in the foreign births register, using your Irish passport. The children's Irish citizenship is dependent on your citizenship, so once you get that they are grand, so long as you register them in the foreign birth register. Then get their passport. You don't need his Id/death cert to register the children, you need your own Irish passport.
BL