ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Canadian Living in Ireland looking to apply for UK Visa...

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

cabradle
Newly Registered

Canadian Living in Ireland looking to apply for UK Visa...

Post by cabradle » Mon May 06, 2013 10:52 pm

Hi,

I'm trying to find the answer to my situation.
I am finishing my undergraduate degree and have been studying in Ireland since Sept 2012. I moved early september to Ireland, and haven't been back to Canada since. I wish to apply for my ancestry visa for the UK and have all the documents for applying. It says online I must apply from my home country, but going back to Canada is not feasible...Will I be able to apply from Ireland? What is the process in which I apply?

Thanks,

Cam

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Mon May 06, 2013 11:06 pm

Do you have a student visa? The policy is that if you are visiting the country from where you are making the application, you can't apply from there. However, as you are legally resident in Ireland (have a residence visa that is not a visit visa), you may apply from there.

ECB5 Where to apply - the policy
Applications for visit visas and EEA Family Permits can be made at any post designated by the Secretary of State to accept applications for entry clearance. The applicant will need to be in the third country or territory in accordance with that country or territory's immigration laws.

Applications for all other types of entry clearance, including PBS* and settlement (*see tier 5 exception below) should be made in the applicant's country of residence. 'Country of residence' is not necessarily their country of origin and refers to wherever the applicant has permission to reside, for example, for work or study purposes. Many countries will issue overseas nationals with residency cards in these cases. An applicant who has permission to stay in a country as a visitor for 6 months, for example, is not a resident

cabradle
Newly Registered

Thanks..

Post by cabradle » Tue May 07, 2013 4:13 pm

Hi, I do have a study visa that runs until October 2013. However I have been informed that once I receive my grades (confirming I passed) I can then get a graduate visa that allows for me to stay in Ireland for another year. Do you think it would make a difference if I apply with my standard student visa now or wait until my graduate visa? Do you by chance know where I would be applying from? Dublin I presume? It seems pretty difficult to get any embassy on the telephone....best ways of contacting them??

Thanks so much!

Cam

dalebutt

Post by dalebutt » Tue May 07, 2013 5:36 pm

You will be considered an Irish resident based on your student visa. it will suffice.

cabradle
Newly Registered

Now What...

Post by cabradle » Tue May 07, 2013 8:10 pm

Should I be making an appointment with the UK embassy in Dublin? Its kind of confusing and I can't seem to find any information. Does anyone know how long it usually takes for a Ancestry Visa to go through!? Again...sorry for all the questions. :)

Cameron

anniecc

Post by anniecc » Wed May 08, 2013 4:32 pm

You can apply online or by post. All the information is here:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas ... pply-visa/

cabradle
Newly Registered

Post by cabradle » Wed May 08, 2013 10:12 pm

Thanks!