ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Never met fiance face to face

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

sam11
Newly Registered

Never met fiance face to face

Post by sam11 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:40 am

Hello all

This is my first post so bare with me.

I would like to know if my fiance who is Australian can come to uk on a fiance visa, if we have never meet, i have every other condition covered.

We have spoken to each other over the phone (phone cards) and over the internet for god knows how long, but we've never met.

Is there no way of getting round this.

....oh and does age have any effect on the procedure, im 21 and shes 18

All help will be appreciated.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: Never met fiance face to face

Post by Wanderer » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:26 am

sam11 wrote:Hello all

This is my first post so bare with me.

I would like to know if my fiance who is Australian can come to uk on a fiance visa, if we have never meet, i have every other condition covered.

We have spoken to each other over the phone (phone cards) and over the internet for god knows how long, but we've never met.

Is there no way of getting round this.

....oh and does age have any effect on the procedure, im 21 and shes 18

All help will be appreciated.
Nope, no way.

Also u need to bear in mind a few things:

1. You have a penpal, not a fiance.

2. International relationships are expensive, very expensive, even more o when it's halfway around the world. I reckon mine has cost 15000 quid so far in trips, visas etc and we're still not married.

3. Our Gov is considering an age bar on spousal visas, ur penpal might have to wait till she's 21.

Having said that, and to get off my high horse, I'd suggest he/she comes here as a tourist, I don't thing he/she needs a visa, but of course doesn't mention if asked that she's visiting a possible suitor or the authorities will assume he's/she's trying to settle here....

Meet, spend some human time with her/him, they he/she can go home and u can think on...

Until then don't even think about marriage, I know ur young and ur relation is 'special' but belive me when I say in my circle of friends (anglo-russian marriages) sooo many of them fail at the first hurdle, ie when they actually see each other. No chemistry and you can't have chemistry over the phone or on MSN Messenger.

Auntie Steve

meggles

Post by meggles » Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:24 pm

i second the recomendation that the two of your should meet. either in the UK or Australia or a neutral country.

if she travels to the UK, i would never hide anything from the IO. if asked, i would answer honestly. i would have information pertaining to my intention to return to Australia. return ticket, proof of funds, letter from employer or school that i'm needed back on xxx date, letter from you stating that you will be putting her up in your house for x number of weeks. etc.

sakura
Diamond Member

Post by sakura » Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:45 pm

I would also stress the importance of staying safe. You might not be a deranged psycho, and she might be cool also, but flying literally to the other side of the world to meet someone you have never met but that you consider to be your fiance(e), just sounds crazy. Choose open public places to meet if you are deciding to visit one another, stay in a hotel (just the one who travelled!), etc etc etc.

Also, why not meet her parents, sort this out properly? You can go to Australia on a WHM for 2 years, get to know each other better, and you can also get valuable work experience...probably in a bar...

Docterror
United Kingdom

Post by Docterror » Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:18 pm

Wanderer wrote:Auntie Steve
:lol:
sakura wrote:You might not be a deranged psycho, and she might be cool also, but flying literally to the other side of the world to meet someone you have never met but that you consider to be your fiance(e), just sounds crazy.
I dont think that its crazy to get married to someone after having spend a lot of talking just because they have not met. I have a lot of friends especially from the Indian subcontinent who have been happily married for decades and some who still get married after just meeting over the internet or talking by phone and taking time off to head back to Pakistan or Indian for the ceremony. There are also cases in which the couples divorce after getting married after years of co-habitation.

It all boils down to the person and their attitudes. We can all recommend meeting and chemistry and other things. But none of it really is the test for whether a person is ready for a marital life or not.

But strictly from an immigration point of view, a trial period is what I suppose the fiance visa and spouse visa is all about and getting to have met especially if the couple is so young is not so bad a requirement.

My apologies to the OP for hijacking the thread.
Jabi

blackcat
Newly Registered

Post by blackcat » Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:04 am

Hi Sam

I just want to wish you the best with this. I don't really recommend you being engaged to this girl without meeting her, but I guess that's not too different from what I've done.

Tom is my fiance, hes 21 and moved over to NZ on a Working Holiday visa to be with me last July. We have since gotten engaged and plan to marry before we move on to the UK in June of next year. We started out a bit like you, friends online for 6 years and decided to do something about it. I look back on how it happened, and realise how crazy I was and how unsafe it could have been.

All I say is, be safe and as I said, I wish you all the best.

Tara