ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Passport delivery - personal experience

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

insomniac

Passport delivery - personal experience

Post by insomniac » Thu May 09, 2013 10:26 am

Hi all,

I had a my passport interview on the 2nd, and still haven't received my passport. So I called up the IPS today and gave them my barcode number. They informed me that the passport was printed on the 2nd and I should have received it on the 3rd or latest on the 7th (Monday was a holiday). So they gave me the DX tracking number.

I called up DX and they told me that they've had problems with their delivery system and rather than make an attempt at delivery, they sent me a letter stating that they have the passport and I need to call up to schedule delivery. Needless to say, I never received the letter. So I've had to rearrange for me to pick it up from them at their Chancery Lane offices instead.

It's really annoying and inconvenient. Just my personal experience.

PS - they told me that this affects all deliveries in Central London.

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Thu May 09, 2013 12:48 pm

Thanks for the feedback.

I am also local (though not in the centre) and have so far not appreciated the experience of the whole application proces.

Firstly at the PO check and send my nat. certificate "had to be folded" to fit in the PO "special" transparent envelope along with my passports, then left on a shelf in plain sight. What a great security measure! Secondly, there was no tracking number to confirm delivery to IPS (despite paying extra for this service) and so far no confirmation from IPS that my application has been received.

I know it's the start of holiday season and the IPS might be inundated, but in retrospect I would've applied by SD post with my nat. certificate in a non-bendable sleeve and at least be able to track my application.

Now all I can do is wonder and wait till the 3 week cut off.

insomniac

Post by insomniac » Thu May 09, 2013 10:49 pm

Hi there,

You should get a text from the IPS within a few days of submitting the application. If I remember correctly, I went to the PO on a Thursday and got a text from the IPS hat they'd received my application next Tuesday.

If you haven't heard back in 5 days, I suggest calling the IPS. Make sure you keep the barcode number that the PO gave you handy - IPS use it as a reference to look up your app. It's the number that ends in an X.

Good luck!

PS - Don't worry about the naturalisation cert, once you get the little red booklet that's all you should really need going forward!

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Fri May 10, 2013 12:12 am

insomniac wrote:Hi there,

You should get a text from the IPS within a few days of submitting the application. If I remember correctly, I went to the PO on a Thursday and got a text from the IPS hat they'd received my application next Tuesday.

If you haven't heard back in 5 days, I suggest calling the IPS. Make sure you keep the barcode number that the PO gave you handy - IPS use it as a reference to look up your app. It's the number that ends in an X.

Good luck!

PS - Don't worry about the naturalisation cert, once you get the little red booklet that's all you should really need going forward!
Thanks insomniac.

I will give them a ring tomorrow if I haven't received an SMS confirmation by afternoon.

*irrelevant moan deleted*

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Fri May 10, 2013 8:42 am

I decided to ring the IPS this morning and i'm furious:

I spoke with a polite lady who confirmed that my application has been received (great) but only yesterday - one week after I lodged it with the Post Office.

I cannot see the point of this check and send service if applications are left to languish before being sent. It would have been a next day special delivery if i'd done it myself and will be going down to my local branch to vehemently complain. What a useless service!

My advise to anyone looking to use the PO check and send is: weigh up the so called benefits and cost against a do-it-yourself SD. It works out the same cost-wise and better service-wise!

What a joke. :evil:

lynxukauq
Member of Standing

Post by lynxukauq » Fri May 10, 2013 8:59 am

Plum70 wrote:I decided to ring the IPS this morning and i'm furious:

I spoke with a polite lady who confirmed that my application has been received (great) but only yesterday - one week after I lodged it with the Post Office.

I cannot see the point of this check and send service if applications are left to languish before being sent. It would have been a next day special delivery if i'd done it myself and will be going down to my local branch to vehemently complain. What a useless service!

My advise to anyone looking to use the PO check and send is: weigh up the so called benefits and cost against a do-it-yourself SD. It works out the same cost-wise and better service-wise!

Hi Plum70

I can understand how you feel but at least your not far away from getting passport. In your experience can you advise if the Check & Send service pointed out anything in form which was not filled correctly because if everything seemed okay then it's better to send it yourself via special delivery.

After all if one follow the guidelines correctly when filling the form we would not need the Check & Send Service would we?

jms_uk
- thin ice -

Post by jms_uk » Fri May 10, 2013 11:22 am

Also, it depends from PO to PO - mine sent it RMSD one the same day [and gave me tracking number].

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Fri May 10, 2013 12:41 pm

lynxukauq wrote: Hi Plum70

I can understand how you feel but at least your not far away from getting passport. In your experience can you advise if the Check & Send service pointed out anything in form which was not filled correctly because if everything seemed okay then it's better to send it yourself via special delivery.

After all if one follow the guidelines correctly when filling the form we would not need the Check & Send Service would we?
Part of my fury is because I was confident that my application was filled perfectly but thought that this check and send service offered more security in delivering my application than sending myself by SD. How wrong I was! No, there were no errors with my form when checked by the PO staff (took hi 1 minute to whizz through and stamp.

I will post separately on the outcome of my visit and complaint to the PO. It's been a farce so far.

Again, my advice to anyone is: If you are competent with the English language, can follow simple written instructions, have legible writing, can spell correctly and know what an acceptable passport photo should look like - Send your application yourself!

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Fri May 10, 2013 12:44 pm

jms_uk wrote:Also, it depends from PO to PO - mine sent it RMSD one the same day [and gave me tracking number].
Well, mine confirmed that it would be sent same day but refused giving me a tracking number saying it was against policy(?). Can anyone see the point of offering customers a guaranteed service that they cannot verify has been provided?

I'm (still) so livid right now...

the_ilr_boy
Newly Registered

Post by the_ilr_boy » Sat May 11, 2013 6:57 am

lynxukauq wrote:
Plum70 wrote:I decided to ring the IPS this morning and i'm furious:

Hi Plum70

PO Check & Send incorrectly told me that I needed to provide my grandparents names, dates of births. I pointed them to the section which clearly said I didn't. Unfortunately I didn't get a discount but I did get a tracking number.