ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UK Spouse Visa Question

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Skydive
Newly Registered

UK Spouse Visa Question

Post by Skydive » Thu May 09, 2013 5:54 pm

I'm a British Citizen, born in the UK.

I am engaged to marry later in the year in Pakistan.

After the wedding I want to apply for my wife's spouse visa to the UK.

As I'm in receipt of DLA I understand that I'm exempt from the financial requirement but that I must show that I can adequately maintain my wife in the UK.

I am living at home with parents so accommodation not a problem.

I am working at the moment but I am on a contract and it could end within a few months, or it could also not end. I have been working the past 6 months and have those payslips now.

I have savings of about 20k in the UK in my own name and can provide statements, saving book copies etc.

The question is if Im not working at the time of her application my income will only be £295 DLA a month. I wont be able to get job seekers as I have over 16k in savings so thats not an option. I currently earn about £1300 a month after tax from salaried earnings.

I just want to know where I stand with the visa application as this is the only barrier I can see at the moment. Can they accept my cash savings, along with receipt of DLA as being enough to adequately maintain my wife in the UK given the fact that accommodation, bills & even food is all taken care of at home?

Just need to know the current rulings on this please.

Many Thanks.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: UK Spouse Visa Question

Post by Amber » Thu May 09, 2013 6:01 pm

Skydive wrote:I'm a British Citizen, born in the UK.

I am engaged to marry later in the year in Pakistan.

After the wedding I want to apply for my wife's spouse visa to the UK.

As I'm in receipt of DLA I understand that I'm exempt from the financial requirement but that I must show that I can adequately maintain my wife in the UK.

I am living at home with parents so accommodation not a problem.

I am working at the moment but I am on a contract and it could end within a few months, or it could also not end. I have been working the past 6 months and have those payslips now.

I have savings of about 20k in the UK in my own name and can provide statements, saving book copies etc.

The question is if Im not working at the time of her application my income will only be £295 DLA a month. I wont be able to get job seekers as I have over 16k in savings so thats not an option. I currently earn about £1300 a month after tax from salaried earnings.

I just want to know where I stand with the visa application as this is the only barrier I can see at the moment. Can they accept my cash savings, along with receipt of DLA as being enough to adequately maintain my wife in the UK given the fact that accommodation, bills & even food is all taken care of at home?

Just need to know the current rulings on this please.

Many Thanks.
You should be fine with those savings. £20,000/2.5 = 8000/52 = £153.84 which is fine. If your partner is going to be your carer then add the DLA too which again is well over 'maintenance'.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

Skydive
Newly Registered

Post by Skydive » Thu May 09, 2013 6:18 pm

Thanks for such a fast reply.

Would they count the whole £20,000 then and not just the 4k above 16k?
I suppose they may count the whole amount as Im exempt from financial requirement?

Also if Im not working at the time of her application but can show that I have the 20k (will be able to show Ive had it for more htan 6 months also) will this be all I need to satisfy the financial element of the application?

Accommodation taken care of, and all other paperwork wont be a problem.

Thanks again for your time. You've put my mind to rest.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Thu May 09, 2013 6:22 pm

Skydive wrote:Thanks for such a fast reply.

Would they count the whole £20,000 then and not just the 4k above 16k?
I suppose they may count the whole amount as Im exempt from financial requirement?

Yes

Also if Im not working at the time of her application but can show that I have the 20k (will be able to show Ive had it for more htan 6 months also) will this be all I need to satisfy the financial element of the application?

Yes

Accommodation taken care of, and all other paperwork wont be a problem.

Thanks again for your time. You've put my mind to rest.
You should be fine, don't worry. The only thing I would say is, as I assume you are aged 16-64, your DLA will eventually be cancelled and you will need to apply for PIP. If PIP turns out to be not applicable to you (i.e. you currently only get DLA lower rate care) and you lose entitlement to DLA/PIP you would not be exempt from the financial requirement. In light of this, I would apply sooner rather than later.
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

Skydive
Newly Registered

Post by Skydive » Thu May 09, 2013 6:34 pm

Ok, that's great.

Thanks for letting me know about the DLA/PIP situation, I'll be sure to get cracking as quickly as possible.

Many Thanks.

Skydive
Newly Registered

Post by Skydive » Fri May 10, 2013 11:50 pm

I have cash savings abroad and receive monthly interest payments on those saving certificates which are a good amount of income. Is it possible to provide statements as proof of income in a UK Spouse application using foreign savings/interest? (In addition to showing my UK income of course).

If so what are the requirements, is there a list of approved financial institutions per country or do they just have to be accompanied by a letter from the bank manager of the particular branch in which I hold the savings certificates?

The country in question is Pakistan, the bank is Allied Bank.

Thanks.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Sat May 11, 2013 8:59 am

Skydive wrote:I have cash savings abroad and receive monthly interest payments on those saving certificates which are a good amount of income. Is it possible to provide statements as proof of income in a UK Spouse application using foreign savings/interest? (In addition to showing my UK income of course).

If so what are the requirements, is there a list of approved financial institutions per country or do they just have to be accompanied by a letter from the bank manager of the particular branch in which I hold the savings certificates?

The country in question is Pakistan, the bank is Allied Bank.

Thanks.
Your are applying under the old maintenance requirement which is much less strict. Providing you can prove (a letter from the bank) that you can liquidate those funds at any time that shoud be ok. The new requirements are much stricter and are clearly set out, in general terms they require the money to be held in a UK financial institution for 6 months and for investments to have been liquidated. Under the old rules 3rd party support was also acceptable providing a letter from the person providing money was received.