ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Swiss border control

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

camorra11
Newly Registered

Swiss border control

Post by camorra11 » Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:22 am

Does anyone know when driving in and out of Switzerland which border control points check and stamp passports?
I was told that the border control point along route A40, through St. Jullien-en-Genevois, does not check or stamp. However, the border control point through Ferney-Voltaire does check and stamp. Has anyone driven through these points and know for sure?
I will be driving out of Switzerland and need an exit stamp in my passport.
Thank you for any help you can give.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:32 pm

I believe but am not sure that the Autobahn border points are always staffed, at least by the people who sell Vignettes. I am not sure if the Border Police are also always there, but I would assume they are.

Christophe
Diamond Member

Re: Swiss border control

Post by Christophe » Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:27 pm

camorra11 wrote:Does anyone know when driving in and out of Switzerland which border control points check and stamp passports?
I was told that the border control point along route A40, through St. Jullien-en-Genevois, does not check or stamp. However, the border control point through Ferney-Voltaire does check and stamp. Has anyone driven through these points and know for sure?
I will be driving out of Switzerland and need an exit stamp in my passport.
Thank you for any help you can give.
I've never seeen anyone being stamped into or out of Switzerland. I guessit happens, though you might need to ask.

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:44 pm

Yeah, my experience of Swiss immigration control has always been that they don't really seem to care very much who enters or leaves their country. In Geneva I have crossed into France and back again by walking across the border where a border guard was snoozing in his little cabin. Cars drove through without being stopped and pedestrians weren't stopped either.
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.