ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Adult Naturalisation Qualify Period after ILR

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Sirdi
Newly Registered

Adult Naturalisation Qualify Period after ILR

Post by Sirdi » Sat May 11, 2013 2:46 pm

Hi all,

Naturalisation !!! Could you please advise on my scenario where I have recently got ILR on 8th May 2013 under long residency. It's a very straight forward answer is, after 12 months of ILR qualify to apply Naturalisation. Sometimes it could be earlier/late than expected . So, please advise me when would be the best time for apply "Naturalisation". please find my details as follow:

1) I came to UK on 3rd May 2002 while my spouse was on student visa.
2) I was on spouse/dependent visa until Sept 2010 and my spouse student.
3) From Sept 2010, my spouse was granted DL (Discretionary Leave) under Article 8 so we are.
4) My spouse ILR approved it before the previous leave (Discretionary Leave) expire.
5) 2 of our child, who were born in the UK already became BRITISH CITIZEN.
6) I sent for my FLR 'O' application for extension 28 days before on 9/01/2012 Discretionary Leave expire on 30/01/2012 which was approved 10 months later on 3/10/2012. I was qualify for ILR under 10 years Long Residency on 3/05/2012.
7) My spouse became a British Citizen on 26/07/2013.
8) I applied ILR under the long residency on 08/10/2012 which was approved on 08/05/2013 took complete 7 months to approve.

So, in this situation, do I still need to wait 12 months or 15 months from the date I had applied for ILR which is around January 2014 for Naturalise to become British Citizen. Or any other date Which would be applied for my case.

I really appreciate your view or comments on this issue?

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Sat May 11, 2013 3:23 pm

As your are married to a BC, you don't need to wait. You can apply tomorrow. Make sure you meet all the requirements.

See Q1 in Citizenship FAQs - Common Questions - Read before posting.

Sirdi
Newly Registered

Post by Sirdi » Sat May 11, 2013 3:50 pm

Jambo wrote:As your are married to a BC, you don't need to wait. You can apply tomorrow. Make sure you meet all the requirements.

Thank you Jumbo for your answer and reference. But time when I got married my spouse was not British Citizen. Yes, he was aBritish Citizen when I got my ILR and living with him more than 11 years together in the UK.

So, can I still apply for Naturalisation and no need to wait for it?

Thank you.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Sat May 11, 2013 3:54 pm

Sirdi wrote:
Jambo wrote:As your are married to a BC, you don't need to wait. You can apply tomorrow. Make sure you meet all the requirements.

Thank you Jumbo for your answer and reference. But time when I got married my spouse was not British Citizen. Yes, he was aBritish Citizen when I got my ILR and living with him more than 11 years together in the UK.

Thank you.
If your spouse is a British Citizen now then apply for naturalisation you don't have to wait 12 months and you only need to be resident in the UK for 3 years. You must have physically been in the UK 3 years prior to the HO receiving your application.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Sat May 11, 2013 4:42 pm

Sirdi wrote:

Thank you.
What matters is if your spouse is British on the day of the application for BC. If doesn't matter how long you have been married.

Sirdi
Newly Registered

Post by Sirdi » Sat May 11, 2013 6:01 pm

Jambo wrote:
Sirdi wrote:

Thank you.
What matters is if your spouse is British on the day of the application for BC. If doesn't matter how long you have been married.
Hi Jambo,

I completely understand. However, before I apply I have to make sure everything ok. Otherwise, I would loose money.
If I was clear about circumstance, why would I come to the forum to ask question.
Many thanks for your suggestion. really appreciate.