ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Adding surname to passport after ILR

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Schek
Newly Registered

Adding surname to passport after ILR

Post by Schek » Mon May 13, 2013 12:54 pm

Hi ,

It's been a fantastic forum to me from long time now.

I have a question about my name. I'm a indian citizen living in UK for last 5 years. I have only first name in the passport and already applied for my ILR in March 2013. Also, my wife had applied for FLR with my ILR application. Now, we are expecting baby in the month of September 2013.After getting the ILR approved , I would like to add surname to my name in passport. Also want to use the same surname for our baby and my wife in their passport.

My questions are:
1. Can I do the name changes in UK or Do I need to go to India?
2. Since our baby will be born after my ILR, baby will be British by birth and will have british passport. What is the criteria for surname of the baby?

reabs

Re: Adding surname to passport after ILR

Post by reabs » Fri May 17, 2013 3:00 am

Your document is issued by the authorities in India. Any changes would have to be effected by them and they determine what process - formal/simple deed poll is acceptable to grant the change.

It appears that they would be willing to accept a UK deed poll document provided that it has been apostilled (easy to do and doesn't cost much). Best to clarify with the India High Commission though.

The baby can have whichever name you and your wife choose. There is nothing to say that it has to follow a specific format e.g. you can give your baby a surname different to yours - it is your right as the baby's parents.

Schek
Newly Registered

Post by Schek » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:25 am

Thanks reabs :)