ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Question about NRE/NRO/Demat accounts when applying for OCI

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

insomniac

Question about NRE/NRO/Demat accounts when applying for OCI

Post by insomniac » Mon May 13, 2013 10:01 am

Hello,

I will submit an OCI application as soon my documents are ready (am waiting for the passport surrender certificate). I understand that each OCI application is processed back in India, I presume this involves a background check/credit check, etc?

So my question is - what do I need to do about my NRE/NRO/Demat accounts while the OCI is being processed? Do I need to inform the bank that I am now a non-Indian national to avoid problems during the OCI check? Or should I not bother?

Would appreciate any input from fellow applicants.

Thank you.

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Mon May 13, 2013 2:08 pm

You need to do nothing.

Once you receive your OCI, you may wish to submit a revised KYC (Know Your Customer) form to your bank to update your records. Ask them to change your status from an Non Resident Indian to People of Indian Origin (don't confuse this with the PIO card).

insomniac

Post by insomniac » Mon May 13, 2013 9:21 pm

Great, thanks for the tip. I had to resubmit a bunch of KYC docs right before I got my British passport, so was just wondering what to do. Will wait for the OCI now.