ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Advice on filling form AN for naturalisation

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Diggiboyz
Newly Registered

Post by Diggiboyz » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:31 pm

John wrote:
Looking at the UKBA website it says you have to be married to a BC for 3 years
It does? Where? Please provide the link.
I think it is my interpretation, if you apply for naturalisation based on married to a BC then it has to be 3 years or legally for 5 years.
Hence the query.
Like I said I have been here legally for over 10 years now waiting for my ilr to be granted.
So should I apply straight away once I get my ilr, based on my situation

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:03 pm

You are confusing yourself, and effectively merging two different rules, and ending up with rubbish.

Length of qualifying period is five years, unless married to (or in Civil Partnership with) a British Citizen, when it is three years.. But nowhere does it say that all the three years needs to be in marriage (or CP) with BC.

Length that ILR needs be held? Ordinarily at least one year, except in marriage (or CP) to BC, then it just needs to be held, not for any particular length of time.
So should I apply straight away once I get my ilr, based on my situation
Straight away, if you were physically in the UK exactly three years before UKBA will receive the Naturalisation application.
Last edited by John on Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
John

Diggiboyz
Newly Registered

Post by Diggiboyz » Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:38 am

Thanks John. I think I over complicated it. Thanks for your response.

papakulkarni
Newly Registered

Form AN questions

Post by papakulkarni » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:30 pm

Hello everyone,

I am about to submit the application form AN for naturalization for me and my wife and son on Form MN1

I have a few Questions while I was filling the the Form AN ( me and the wife on separate forms)

on Form AN:

1.1: I do not have any specific UK border ref no but on the letter received at the time of ILR, a case nos was given to me--

Can I use this case nos as a UK border Ref Nos?

1.7: for this question on the wifes application- she has changed her name after marriage, shall she mention the old name

here and mention on page 13 that her name is different due to the name change after marriage to me. There is an endorsement

on her passport from the Consulate in Edinburgh with regard to this effect.

1.22: I have successfully completed/passed the life in UK test hence for this question which box do I tick??
also what nos do I put in for the test Nos. test instance ID or test centre ID or Supplier ID?

for Form MN1:

for my son how do I cross out the non applicable sections-- 1 line or a big X across the whole page..

Thanking You.

Pramod.

:?

pink_floyd
Newly Registered

EVIDENCE OF LAWFUL RESIDENCE

Post by pink_floyd » Sun May 05, 2013 8:44 pm

I was issued work permit for 5 years in 2007 - a visa sticker was stamped on my passport at the time.

In 2009, I changed my status to Tier 1 (general) and was granted leave to remain in the UK for 3 years - again a visa sticker was stamped on my passport.

In 2011, I got Tier 1 (general) extension for 2 years and was issued a bio-matric card this time - no visa was stamped on my passport this time.

In 2012, I got ILR and was issued another Bio-matric card. And my previous bio-matric card was withheld by home office.

question - How am I going to provide evidence of lawful residence in the UK for tier 1 extension period (explained above) if I have neither got a bio-matric card nor visa was stamped on my passport.

Note that I have got all my previous passports.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Jambo
Respected Guru

Re: EVIDENCE OF LAWFUL RESIDENCE

Post by Jambo » Sun May 05, 2013 8:50 pm

pink_floyd wrote:I was issued work permit for 5 years in 2007 - a visa sticker was stamped on my passport at the time.

In 2009, I changed my status to Tier 1 (general) and was granted leave to remain in the UK for 3 years - again a visa sticker was stamped on my passport.

In 2011, I got Tier 1 (general) extension for 2 years and was issued a bio-matric card this time - no visa was stamped on my passport this time.

In 2012, I got ILR and was issued another Bio-matric card. And my previous bio-matric card was withheld by home office.

question - How am I going to provide evidence of lawful residence in the UK for tier 1 extension period (explained above) if I have neither got a bio-matric card nor visa was stamped on my passport.

Note that I have got all my previous passports.

Any help would be much appreciated!
As the application form states, a passport is enough. Surely the HO would know your stay was legal as they are the ones who gave you the visa in the first place!

adam2013
Newly Registered

"other" names in formAN

Post by adam2013 » Fri May 10, 2013 1:57 pm

Hi,

When completing formAN what do exactly they mean by other names?

For example if a person is known (in more or less all documents e.g. payslips, bank statements etc.) by the name "Kate" but the passport has the name "Katherine" do they need to fill the other names section?
Of course the application will be made according to the passport's name.

Thanks for your help in advance

nnj10

Re: "other" names in formAN

Post by nnj10 » Fri May 10, 2013 2:31 pm

adam2013 wrote:Hi,

When completing formAN what do exactly they mean by other names?

For example if a person is known (in more or less all documents e.g. payslips, bank statements etc.) by the name "Kate" but the passport has the name "Katherine" do they need to fill the other names section?
Of course the application will be made according to the passport's name.

Thanks for your help in advance
I dont think so.
Same example, at work you may be known as Nick but for all official purposes if your name is Nicholas then I would think you are known only by one name that is also on official records i.e. Nicholas.

May be other experts might have better ideas, so please wait for more feedback.
Information and/or advice provided by me is of general nature and is not intended to substitute for informed professional legal or other professional advice.

thewallstreetmonkey
Newly Registered

Post by thewallstreetmonkey » Mon May 13, 2013 10:43 am

I wonder if anyone can help with my questions below in this AN form topic:

I have obtained my PR already and I am applying for naturalisation after 1 year:
- I do not need to send any other documentation that I sent before to obtain my PR card, do I?
- I do not need to re-write my total days of absences and all details around them for the past five years before obtaining the PR (considering that I have obtained my PR card by writing them in the first place), do I? I am just putting down details and number of absences for the past 1 year (during the time I have had PR card not exceeding 90 days)

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Mon May 13, 2013 11:27 am

thewallstreetmonkey wrote:I wonder if anyone can help with my questions below in this AN form topic:

I have obtained my PR already and I am applying for naturalisation after 1 year:
- I do not need to send any other documentation that I sent before to obtain my PR card, do I?
Just your passport, PR card and Life in the UK test.
- I do not need to re-write my total days of absences and all details around them for the past five years before obtaining the PR (considering that I have obtained my PR card by writing them in the first place), do I? I am just putting down details and number of absences for the past 1 year (during the time I have had PR card not exceeding 90 days)
You need to write down the absences in the 5 years before the BC application regardless when you achieved your PR.
The requirements of absence for PR and naturalisation are different. Having PR doesn't mean you meet the naturalisation requirements.

thewallstreetmonkey
Newly Registered

Post by thewallstreetmonkey » Mon May 13, 2013 11:56 am

Jambo wrote:
thewallstreetmonkey wrote:I wonder if anyone can help with my questions below in this AN form topic:

You need to write down the absences in the 5 years before the BC application regardless when you achieved your PR.
The requirements of absence for PR and naturalisation are different. Having PR doesn't mean you meet the naturalisation requirements.
Thanks a lot.

nnj10

Post by nnj10 » Mon May 13, 2013 12:16 pm

thewallstreetmonkey wrote:
Jambo wrote:

Thanks a lot.
I think if LiUK certificate was provided at the time of ILR then you can just do a tickmark to indicate so and there is no need to send your LiUK pass certificate again.
Information and/or advice provided by me is of general nature and is not intended to substitute for informed professional legal or other professional advice.

thewallstreetmonkey
Newly Registered

Post by thewallstreetmonkey » Mon May 13, 2013 12:20 pm

nnj10 wrote:
thewallstreetmonkey wrote:
Jambo wrote:

Thanks a lot.
I think if LiUK certificate was provided at the time of ILR then you can just do a tickmark to indicate so and there is no need to send your LiUK pass certificate again.
I obtained LIUK after I got my PR card (my application was EEA3) so Home Office has not seen this yet. So I will provide that.

SgtBellPepper

Post by SgtBellPepper » Mon May 13, 2013 4:56 pm

Quick question regarding Section 3 Good Character Requirement :

Does the applicant have to be employed at the time of making the application? Currently my spouse is a stay at home mother.

I am the sole bread winner for our family whilst she is studying with the OU.

Is this a problem or does it not make any difference and we should just state unemployed/housewife etc?

Thanks.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Mon May 13, 2013 6:12 pm

Not a problem at all. There is not, and never has been, a requirement for the applicant for Naturalisation to be working, or ever to have worked in the UK.

What there is is a requirement to pay the correct amount of tax. But if income equals Nil, then income tax and NI are also clearly Nil ... not a problem.
John

SgtBellPepper

Post by SgtBellPepper » Mon May 13, 2013 7:04 pm

Thanks John. Where she has ever worked she has always paid the appropriate NI and income tax. So there is nothing owing to the taxman. However, currently she is studying. But as you say there isnt a problem. So I guess we just write housewife/student/unemployed? Or simply leave that section blank as it pertains to people currently in employment?

mgk_pune
Newly Registered

UK Border Agency reference number

Post by mgk_pune » Tue May 14, 2013 9:02 am

Hi, applogies if this was already clarified somewhere on the site.

1.1 Please give previous Immigration and Nationality Directorate or Border and Immigration Agency or UK Border Agency reference numbers

Is this reference number present on upper right hand corner of ILR sticker on my passport ? (e.g UK1234567)

Where do I find this reference number ?

az2012
Newly Registered

when to apply

Post by az2012 » Tue May 14, 2013 11:38 pm

Hi,
I am going to apply for UK citizenship for myself and my three dependents (my wife and two children) at the same time.
Here is a summary of our status:
Our Tier 1 were due to expire on 15 Dec 2012.
We applied for ILR via post, sent documents to UKBA on 04/02/2012
We received our passports with ILR stamp in Aug 2012 - ILR to us were issued on 07/08/2012 (took more than 6 months)

Now according to the following found on UKBA site, it means that I can apply for citizenship sometime between 09/05/2012 to 28/07/2012 (which is 90 days and 10 days before ILR stamp on 07/08/2012).
Does it mean I can apply between those two dates considering I am applying before completing one year period after ILR stamp?

thanks
Arvin

Section 7.5 UKBA "The residence requirements" documents found on http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... iew=Binary

7.5 Discretion to disregard immigration time restrictions in the final 12 months may normally
be exercised if: a. at the date of application, the applicant has had less than 12 months
free of conditions but has been free of conditions for more than 12 months by the time the
application is considered, provided the other requirements are met;

c. the period of limited leave was less than 10 days at the beginning of the 12 month period
before the date of application consideration of an application for indefinite leave to remain,
made more than 15 months before the citizenship application, had been protracted through no
fault of the applicant, providing ILR was eventually granted.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Wed May 15, 2013 6:55 am

You needed to keep reading! Look at 7.5.g :-
consideration of an application for indefinite leave to remain, made more than 15 months before the citizenship application, had been protracted through no fault of the applicant, providing ILR was eventually granted.
So assuming you were not at fault in the delay in the ILR being granted, you can apply 15 months after the ILR application date, in other words, now!

Any fault by you? Probably not but for example, say UKBA queried something and you took a long time to reply .... I think that is the sort of thing they are referring to.

As always, do ensure that you were physically in the UK exactly five years before your Naturalisation application date.
John

mgk_pune
Newly Registered

Post by mgk_pune » Wed May 15, 2013 9:00 am

Please can someone reply urgently ?

Applogies if this was already clarified somewhere on the site.

1.1 Please give previous Immigration and Nationality Directorate or Border and Immigration Agency or UK Border Agency reference numbers

What does previous mean ?

Is this reference number present on upper right hand corner of ILR sticker on my passport ? (e.g UK1234567)

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Wed May 15, 2013 10:29 am

mgk_pune wrote:Please can someone reply urgently ?

Applogies if this was already clarified somewhere on the site.

What does previous mean ?

If you don't know, just leave blank. It is not a mandatory field and will not affect the application.

Preacher

Post by Preacher » Wed May 15, 2013 12:29 pm

You can see this number on any letter/correspondence you got in past from Home office - it will be in top right corner - the number was allocated at your previous applications.

I think it is always better to indicate that number as it might speed up the application. Anyway, as it was already said before, it is optional, so if you cannot find it, then it still should be ok.

goga
Newly Registered

Post by goga » Fri May 17, 2013 2:25 pm

hi

I got permanent residence stamp on my passport in june 2011 on the basis of spending 5 years as a family member if EEA national. I want to apply for nationality but I am bit confused about filling up the AN form

on section 2.4 under the heading for

EEA nationals exercising EC Treaty Rights
2.4 If you are an EEA national or the family member of an EEA national, please complete the following section,
showing on what basis you were in the United Kingdom for the last 6 years. This is so we can see whether you were
exercising your Treaty Rights for a continuous period and have acquired permanent residence in the United Kingdom.

do I have to give all the details for last 6 years even though I already have permenant residence? or can I avoid this section?

I could have applied after 12 months for holding PR stamp on my passport and that could be june 2012. now it has been almost 24 months.

thanks in advance

Ayyubi72
- thin ice -

Post by Ayyubi72 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:29 pm

goga wrote:

do I have to give all the details for last 6 years even though I already have permenant residence? or can I avoid this section?
No you do not have to give details of 6 years as your PR has already been confirmed. Just ignore this section.

board
Newly Registered

AN Form

Post by board » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:21 am

Hello,
I got my ILR on the 10 year long stay basis before 1 year and I want to apply for naturalization. I got the following questions regarding the documents which I need to submit with the AN form:
1) Do I need to submit my educational documents for the last five years? and
2) Do I need to submit my tax returns for the year of my ILR with my application.