ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

CB ,CTC,Working tax credit & Maternity grant

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

m_man1

CB ,CTC,Working tax credit & Maternity grant

Post by m_man1 » Wed May 15, 2013 12:34 pm

hi gurus

just need your opinion on the below lines

I am a british citizen (currently seeking employment) and my spouse is on ILR from Jan 2010

we had our baby on recently my questions are

can i claim CB in spouse's name? will it effect her citizenship application?

when & how we can claim the Child tax credit? should it be in joint names or can either of them apply in his/her name

are we eligible for WTC? if so does it have to be joint application or single?

not sure if either of us are eligible for sure start grant as i am currently unemployed & spouse is on maternity leave?

can you please give me your opinions & suggestions to get us through this

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: CB ,CTC,Working tax credit & Maternity grant

Post by Amber » Wed May 15, 2013 12:51 pm

m_man1 wrote:hi gurus

just need your opinion on the below lines

I am a british citizen (currently seeking employment) and my spouse is on ILR from Jan 2010

we had our baby on recently my questions are

can i claim CB in spouse's name? will it effect her citizenship application?

when & how we can claim the Child tax credit? should it be in joint names or can either of them apply in his/her name

are we eligible for WTC? if so does it have to be joint application or single?

not sure if either of us are eligible for sure start grant as i am currently unemployed & spouse is on maternity leave?

can you please give me your opinions & suggestions to get us through this
As you are both free of immigration control as you are settled/British Citizen and assuming there was no undertaking for your spouse you are both free to claim public funds/benefits without it having any affect on a future naturalization application.

Either of you can claim Child Benefit as I assume you are both responsible for the child. You must make a joint claim for tax credits and you will not get WTC unless one or both of you are working the prescribed number of hours relevant to your circumstances. I suggest you look at http://www.turn2us.org.uk/benefits_search.aspx and run a benefit calculation.

Regarding the SSMG, you should make an application now (assuming child born in last 3 months) and if refused because you are not receiving a qualifying benefit (i.e. tax credits, JSA-IB etc..) you can apply again once you do receive the benefit.

See here for more information regarding the SSMG.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

m_man1

Post by m_man1 » Wed May 15, 2013 1:01 pm

Many thanks for the prompt response will get back to you if have further queries
thanks a ton