ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying for British Citizenship following ILR

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

z4ydi

Applying for British Citizenship following ILR

Post by z4ydi » Thu May 16, 2013 12:53 pm

My wife joined me in the UK on a spouse visa 29/April/2011.
She applied for her ILR 2 months ago and received her ILR (in the form of Bio-metric Resident Permit BRP) 3 days ago - I know she can apply after the first anniversary of her ILR for British Citizenship. However I heard that one can apply for citizenship the same day the ILR is issued or later. Can she apply for British Citizenship now? Please advise.

Note: She has lived in the UK since 29/April/2011 and has not traveled outside since.

Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu May 16, 2013 1:06 pm

She can apply for citizenship on 29th April 2014. The requirement for a spouse of a BC is that they must have been resident for 3 years as well as meeting the other standard requirements.

If she had been resident for 3 years and received ILR today, she would be able to apply for citizenship today, but this is not relevant in your case.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.