ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

what form should be used for a child over 18 for ILR?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

sowhat

what form should be used for a child over 18 for ILR?

Post by sowhat » Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:34 pm

My daughter is over 18 but entered the country when she was still under 18. What form I should use for her ILR application?

Docterror
United Kingdom

Post by Docterror » Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:19 pm

On what basis is she applying for her ILR?
Jabi

sowhat

Post by sowhat » Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:21 pm

Docterror wrote:On what basis is she applying for her ILR?
As my dependant. I am applying for ILR myself.

Docterror
United Kingdom

Post by Docterror » Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:55 pm

Then she will have to use the SET(F) form as she will be above 18 at the time of application.

Unfortunately, it would mean that her application would warrant an additional application fee and she will also need a pass certificate in the Life in the UK test.
Jabi

sowhat

Post by sowhat » Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:13 pm

Docterror wrote:Then she will have to use the SET(F) form as she will be above 18 at the time of application.

Unfortunately, it would mean that her application would warrant an additional application fee and she will also need a pass certificate in the Life in the UK test.
Oh thanks. I've just taken a look at it. It has a quite interesting statement:
Evidence of finances. Bank statements, building society savings book(s), pay slips or other financial documents as
evidence that you can and will be maintained and accommodated without recourse to public funds
Does it mean that my daughter still won't be able to pay 'home student' university fees instead of 'foreign student' fees, because it is 'public funds' as I understand.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:39 pm

sowhat wrote:
Docterror wrote:Then she will have to use the SET(F) form as she will be above 18 at the time of application.

Evidence of finances. Bank statements, building society savings book(s), pay slips or other financial documents as
evidence that you can and will be maintained and accommodated without recourse to public funds
Does it mean that my daughter still won't be able to pay 'home student' university fees instead of 'foreign student' fees, because it is 'public funds' as I understand.
This comes up often. Generally she'd need 3 years on ILR for home fees. Some uni's interpret this differently and count three years on any settlement visa but I know ours doesn't and not many do!

sowhat

Post by sowhat » Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:24 pm

Wanderer wrote:
sowhat wrote:

This comes up often. Generally she'd need 3 years on ILR for home fees. Some uni's interpret this differently and count three years on any settlement visa but I know ours doesn't and not many do!
I always thought that one has to live 3 years in the UK permanently and has a 'settled status'. This is from the A guide to financial support
for higher education students:
Basic residence requirements

Normally, you must meet three requirements to your residence and immigration status on first day of the first academic year of your (see note 1 below). On that date you must:

• have been ordinarily resident (see note 2 below)
in the United Kingdom, the Channel Islands or
the Isle of Man for the three years immediately
before this date (other than mainly for the
purpose of receiving full-time education);

• be ‘ordinarily resident’ in England; and

• have ‘settled status’ – which means you must be
settled in the UK within the meaning of the
Immigration Act of 1971.

Note 2: ordinarily resident is defined as ‘habitual and normal residence from choice and for a settled purpose throughout the three-year period, apart from temporary or occasional absences’.
Maybe I am missing something, but it does not say anything about having the 'settled status' for three years.

joe777

Post by joe777 » Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:03 pm

:?:
ive been told by INd that the form i should use for my stepson who is now 18 when applying for ILR and who was and still is dependant of my wife should be set(o) not set (f)

:?:

i thought it would be set (f) but ind and aonther forum told me the same set(f)

HELP !!! which do i use ??

Docterror
United Kingdom

Post by Docterror » Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:41 pm

joe777, even the SET(0) tells you not to use the form if the dependant is above 18 years of age and so it is the SET(F) that has to be used. The BIA is known to make mistakes when it comes to imparting information of this calibre.
Jabi

joe777

Post by joe777 » Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:53 pm

thanks, that what i thought :lol:

joe777

Post by joe777 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:38 am

hmm i phoned ind again, and they say i def need to use form set (o)
as iam applying for 'other' reason not listed, that is

'son has just turned 18 but still a dependent of his mother who is applying for ILR after completing a 2 year spouse visa'

i think where set (o) says 'any child over 18 wanting to apply as your dependant would have to apply and pay separatley on set(f)' refers to people who are claiming LONG RESIDENCE ???

thanks for any info guys.

ajani

Post by ajani » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:56 am

Joe777,
I will be applying in March 2008 for ILR. My daughter turns 18 in July this year, can you please keep this forum posted as regards the application form used to apply for ILR for your stepson.