ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Exceptional Circumstances for Elderly Dependant Relatives?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

LankanFunkin

Exceptional Circumstances for Elderly Dependant Relatives?

Post by LankanFunkin » Sat May 18, 2013 12:54 pm

Hello all,

I'm yet another ILR (very soon to be naturalised) struggling to find a way to bring a parent to the UK. I'm hoping my circumstances may allow for a more favourable review by the UKBA, and I'd appreciate anyone's comments, thoughts or feedback.

Here are the details:
- my mother is aged 68.
- she has a history of high sugar, high cholesterol, and is at a high risk of stroke. She is on medication for the latter two.
- she has very bad memory loss. This has been worsening over the last 2 years. I have repeatedly gone back to Sri Lanka to help her get medical attention, but mental health issues are often under-diagnosed in Sri Lanka, or even simply overlooked. On my last trip, I *finally* found a good doctor, who said that the degree of memory loss may be due to Alzheimer's, and its confounded by depression and a silent stroke (silent stroke was found on a MRI scan)
- my mother's other cognitive functions are fine - i.e. she can dress herself better than most 20-year olds, and takes care of herself in most ways. Why I say in most ways, is because she forgets to take her medication, including her cholesterol and other heart meds.
- I asked my mothers new doctor is she could live alone. She said absolutely not - this is the very stage that she will forget that the oven/stove is on, etc. Essentially, she will be a liability if left on her own. It is also not recommended that she drives, as she doesn't remember roads.
- home help is an option, but as mentioned, finding people who are patient and know how how to deal with such mental health issues will be extremely difficult in Sri Lanka.
- my mother has finances. But because of her memory loss, she has lost track of accounts, bonds, etc. For her own day-to-day expenses & liquidity, I maintain an account for her, and make deposits which the bank delivers to her (she doesn't know how to use an ATM). Every time I go back to Sri Lanka, I also leave her with cash.
- for the level of caring that's needed, I personally feel its something that can only be provided by family. I am an only child, but my wife is very much on board about bringing her to the UK, and we have ample means. My employer even has allowances for forking at home, paying for home help etc.

I would really appreciate any constructive thoughts on this.

Also, given the complexities and hurdles, I am seriously considering hiring a lawyer. If anyone has a favourable recommendation, please private message me.

Thanks!
Last edited by LankanFunkin on Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sat May 18, 2013 1:05 pm

I've sent you a PM.

Shiftingsands
Newly Registered

ILR for my mother

Post by Shiftingsands » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:37 am

My mother is 68 years old and has visited us 4times in the past 4 years. She returns to India well before the expiry of 180 days limit on her multiyear family visitor visa.

I am going to be eligible for UK citizenship in September 2013. However, in the recent past my mother's physical condition has started to deteriorate. Whilst in India she lives alone in a flat owned by me. My two younger sisters live around 30kms away in a different town. One of them lives with her in-laws and the other one lives in a small house. Both of them live in rented houses and have their own families and children to look after.

I have been to India thrice in the past 6 months to attend to my mother. She has had Diabetes Mellitus and Hypertension for years. She's also had other medical complications in the past. Now, she is limping and we had various investigations done last week. It turns out the she has spondilities of the lower back as well as osteopenia in her knees. Being overweight isnt helping either.

She is fully dependant on me financially and lives in a flat owned by me (bought before i immigrated to UK).

My query is: whether it is possible to apply for an ILR for her. I am finding it increasingly difficult to look after her wellbeing and it affects my work as well as financially. I can support her better in the UK as I own a 4 bed house and have a reasonable income.

Can anyone help with advice.
kind regards