ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

How to enter EU without visa as a spouse of British national

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Vb3d

How to enter EU without visa as a spouse of British national

Post by Vb3d » Mon May 20, 2013 12:28 pm

First, appologies if this post is in the wrong section.

I am a non-EU wife of a British national, we currently live in the UK, my husband is working, and we would love to travel to europe for short vacations.

I have read about the EEA2 application form, and just contacted UKBA, they said that I am not entitled to a resident card because I am on a spouse visa.

As far as I know, EU countries will ask for a resident card to let me enter EU with my British national husband, and they won't accept the spouse visa on my passport.

So, is there any other solution on how to travel to EU without needing to get a shengen visa?
Or am I missing something in the EEA2 application form?
If it helps, my husband worked in Poland two months before we know each other and got married.

Should we have applied for the family member visa instead on the spouse visa?
Can we do it now if I am entitled to it, or should I leave the UK first?

Thanks

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Mon May 20, 2013 12:42 pm

You can't get a Residence Card under the EEA regulations unless he has worked and lived in another member state and returned to the UK.

The Schengen visa is free for you although there is the trouble of applying for it (some embassies allow postal applications).

If you drive/take the train, you might get away without a visa. If you fly, the airline will not let you board without a visa.

You can read more discussion on this issue in this thread - Travel to Schengen, without visa, for EEA-family members

Vb3d

Post by Vb3d » Mon May 20, 2013 1:24 pm

Jambo wrote:You can't get a Residence Card under the EEA regulations unless he has worked and lived in another member state and returned to the UK.
He did work in Poland before we met and got married.
Does that count?

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Mon May 20, 2013 1:30 pm

It would only count if you have lived there with him.

Pablito
Member of Standing
Poland

Post by Pablito » Mon May 20, 2013 2:23 pm

Just apply for schengen visa there may be trouble, but its very likely also you will get it quick without any trouble. If you have still time for your trip you have a lot of time to get this sorted.

By the way why would you not want to get visa if is free of charge, and the only requirement is your marriage certificate to get it.

Vb3d

Post by Vb3d » Mon May 20, 2013 3:49 pm

Jambo wrote:It would only count if you have lived there with him.
Thank you for your help today.
Pablito wrote:By the way why would you not want to get visa if is free of charge, and the only requirement is your marriage certificate to get it.
It is not totally free, there are two different things to pay for, I am only exempt for one of them, and I have to pay the other fees, plus the hassle of appointment, trains and commuting to London, as I live far away from there.
I just want to do everything by post.

We are interested in visiting Spain and France, and neither of them do postal applications as far as I know.

Anyway, what are the embassies who do postal applications?

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Mon May 20, 2013 3:56 pm

You don't need to pay the other (VFS/TLS or any other agency) fee. The consulate should offer free appointment without using an agency.

I agree there is cost for your time and travel to London.

I know thay Germany is doing postal applications but they don't like it when you book with them but don't travel to Germany.

France and Spain consulates could be a bit of a nightmare to deal with (no personal experience. Just from reading other people post here).

Vb3d

Post by Vb3d » Mon May 20, 2013 4:25 pm

Jambo wrote:You don't need to pay the other (VFS/TLS or any other agency) fee. The consulate should offer free appointment without using an agency.

I agree there is cost for your time and travel to London.

There is still a service charge of £ 16.20, checked this site:
http://es.vfsglobal.co.uk/house_maid_visafees.html
Please Note:
A service charge of £ 16.20 is applicable for every application.

The following categories of applicants are exempted of Visa fees only:
for EU/EEA-spouses and their children (under 21), registered partners and co-habitees of EU/EEA nationals. The original Marriage Certificate or original full Birth Certificate with parents' names must be submitted together with spouse's/parent's original passport

Jambo wrote: I know thay Germany is doing postal applications but they don't like it when you book with them but don't travel to Germany.

France and Spain consulates could be a bit of a nightmare to deal with (no personal experience. Just from reading other people post here).
But if I get the visa from Germany, I still need to travel to Germany first, before I go to France or Spain. I believe that's how the Schengen visa works, you land first at the country that gave you the visa, then you move freely to any other EU country on that visa. Am I wrong on this?

And I will recheck the

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Mon May 20, 2013 8:03 pm

I am moving your thread to Europe section.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Mon May 20, 2013 8:06 pm

Vb3d wrote: There is still a service charge of £ 16.20, checked this site:
Please Note:
It should be possible to apply at the embassy directly, bypassing the service provider and fee.

Vb3d

Post by Vb3d » Mon May 20, 2013 8:29 pm

EUsmileWEallsmile wrote:
Vb3d wrote: There is still a service charge of £ 16.20, checked this site:
Please Note:
It should be possible to apply at the embassy directly, bypassing the service provider and fee.
So the site I quoted from belongs to a service provider, not directly connected to the Spanish embassy?

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Tue May 21, 2013 7:34 pm

If it mentions VFS, Worldbridge or other, then this will be 3rd party service provider.

Vb3d

Post by Vb3d » Wed May 22, 2013 12:30 pm

EUsmileWEallsmile wrote:If it mentions VFS, Worldbridge or other, then this will be 3rd party service provider.
So how to apply at the embassy? do they have their own website/system?

acme4242

Post by acme4242 » Wed May 22, 2013 3:35 pm

Vb3d wrote:
EUsmileWEallsmile wrote:If it mentions VFS, Worldbridge or other, then this will be 3rd party service provider.
Suppose to have something, saying that. we get the feeling sometimes the laws are only obeyed and followed when they are oppressive rather than when they are supporting citizens free movement rights.

TIP: read from page 86
http://ec.europa.eu/home-affairs/polici ... 620_en.pdf
3. SPECIFIC DEROGATIONS FROM THE GENERAL RULES OF THE VISA CODE
This point provides for operational instructions concerning the specific derogations from the
general rules of the Visa Code that are to be applied when it has been ascertained that the visa
applicant falls under the Directive and that there is no exemption from the visa requirement.
3.1. Visa Fee
No visa fee can be charged.
3.2. Service fee in case of outsourcing of the collection of applications
As family members should not pay any fee when submitting the application, they cannot be
obliged to obtain an appointment via a premium call line or via an external provider whose
services are charged to the applicant. Family members must be allowed to lodge their
application directly at the consulate without any costs. However, if family members decide
not to make use of their right to lodge their application directly at the consulate but to use the
extra services, they should pay for these services.
If an appointment system is nevertheless in place, separate call lines (at ordinary local tariff)
to the consulate should be put at the disposal of family members respecting comparable
standards to those of "premium lines", i.e. the availability of such lines should be of standards
comparable to those in place for other categories of applicants and an appointment must be
allocated without delay.
3.3. Granting every facility
Member States shall grant third country family members of EU citizens falling under the
Directive every facility to obtain the necessary visa. This notion must be interpreted as
ensuring that Member States take all appropriate measures to ensure fulfilment of the
obligations arising out of the right of free movement and afford to such visa applicants the
best conditions to obtain the entry visa.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Wed May 22, 2013 8:00 pm

Vb3d wrote:
I would phone and ask. Be specific - family member of EU citizen...

Some embassies give good on-line info, look around and you'll see.