ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying to stay in the UK with my Husband

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

DTaylor889
Newly Registered

Applying to stay in the UK with my Husband

Post by DTaylor889 » Mon May 20, 2013 10:44 pm

Let me explain our situation the shortest way possible. I was living in the UK for the past 5 years. The first 3 years was as a student and the last 2 I was on an unmarried partnership visa. Then my partner cheated on me and I left the country. I went back to America (where I am from) and worked and then went traveling for a year. Well I had been in touch with a really good friend from the UK and he went traveling with me. We have been best friends for years and we decided to be something more. In january he proposed to me in New Zealand and has come back with me to America to apply for the K1 visa that will allow us to marry in the states. We have already begun the K1 visa process (which is sooo agonisingly LONG).

Our original plan was to try settling in America for a couple years and see how we get on, but the more time I spend here the more I miss the UK. So we have decided to go back but there are a couple issues that I am wondering about.

We still want to marry in USA and carry on with the K1 visa process. So we should be married about January time 2014 if all goes well. I will need to apply to join my spouse in the UK. If we moved back to the UK we will need to stay with someone first naturally until we can get off our feet. His mom is willing to let us stay rent free, but she lives in a 3 bedroom council house (she is the only one living there). Will that be a problem if she is living in a council house?

I also know someone who will hire me in a heartbeat if I were to get a visa again for the UK. Would this help us in the financial requirement?

At the end of the day if we have to we will stay in america for the duration of his green card and save up to move back to the UK. The only thing is it will be so expensive to get a green card if we're just going to end up moving back. and a bit depressing lol.

Thanks!

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Applying to stay in the UK with my Husband

Post by Amber » Mon May 20, 2013 11:24 pm

DTaylor889 wrote:Let me explain our situation the shortest way possible. I was living in the UK for the past 5 years. The first 3 years was as a student and the last 2 I was on an unmarried partnership visa. Then my partner cheated on me and I left the country. I went back to America (where I am from) and worked and then went traveling for a year. Well I had been in touch with a really good friend from the UK and he went traveling with me. We have been best friends for years and we decided to be something more. In january he proposed to me in New Zealand and has come back with me to America to apply for the K1 visa that will allow us to marry in the states. We have already begun the K1 visa process (which is sooo agonisingly LONG).

Our original plan was to try settling in America for a couple years and see how we get on, but the more time I spend here the more I miss the UK. So we have decided to go back but there are a couple issues that I am wondering about.

We still want to marry in USA and carry on with the K1 visa process. So we should be married about January time 2014 if all goes well. I will need to apply to join my spouse in the UK. If we moved back to the UK we will need to stay with someone first naturally until we can get off our feet. His mom is willing to let us stay rent free, but she lives in a 3 bedroom council house (she is the only one living there). Will that be a problem if she is living in a council house?

I also know someone who will hire me in a heartbeat if I were to get a visa again for the UK. Would this help us in the financial requirement?

At the end of the day if we have to we will stay in america for the duration of his green card and save up to move back to the UK. The only thing is it will be so expensive to get a green card if we're just going to end up moving back. and a bit depressing lol.

Thanks!
Unfortunetly the job offer must be for the applicant's partner, the sponsor. Is your fiancé working and do you have any savings?
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

DTaylor889
Newly Registered

Post by DTaylor889 » Mon May 20, 2013 11:32 pm

D4109125 wrote:
DTaylor889 wrote:Let me explain our situation the shortest way possible. I was living in the UK for the past 5 years. The first 3 years was as a student and the last 2 I was on an unmarried partnership visa. Then my partner cheated on me and I left the country. I went back to America (where I am from) and worked and then went traveling for a year. Well I had been in touch with a really good friend from the UK and he went traveling with me. We have been best friends for years and we decided to be something more. In january he proposed to me in New Zealand and has come back with me to America to apply for the K1 visa that will allow us to marry in the states. We have already begun the K1 visa process (which is sooo agonisingly LONG).

Thanks!
Unfortunetly the job offer must be for the applicant's partner, the sponsor. Is your fiancé working and do you have any savings?
Not currently. We have only just returned from traveling. But he will be going back to the UK to find a job next month and it will take us til January at least before we can even marry so that gives us time to both save up. I would have thought if I had work promised as well as he having work it would help our case. :/

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Mon May 20, 2013 11:39 pm

DTaylor889 wrote:
D4109125 wrote:

Thanks!
Not currently. We have only just returned from traveling. But he will be going back to the UK to find a job next month and it will take us til January at least before we can even marry so that gives us time to both save up. I would have thought if I had work promised as well as he having work it would help our case. :/
To rely on savings alone you'd have to have £62500. What you should perhaps consider is your partner going to another European country (not the uk) and working for 3-6 months then bring you to the UK under the EEA route see http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=120676
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

DTaylor889
Newly Registered

Post by DTaylor889 » Tue May 21, 2013 12:00 am

D4109125 wrote:
DTaylor889 wrote:
D4109125 wrote:

Thanks!
To rely on savings alone you'd have to have £62500. What you should perhaps consider is your partner going to another European country (not the uk) and working for 3-6 months then bring you to the UK under the EEA route see http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=120676
I don't see why he can't just get a job that earns over the required minimum of £18,600 in the UK and I go settle with him. I'm just wondering whether or not we would be able to start off at his mom's house because she lives in a council house or if we'd have to go rent our own place somewhere.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Tue May 21, 2013 3:36 am

DTaylor889 wrote:
D4109125 wrote:
DTaylor889 wrote:
D4109125 wrote:
I don't see why he can't just get a job that earns over the required minimum of £18,600 in the UK and I go settle with him. I'm just wondering whether or not we would be able to start off at his mom's house because she lives in a council house or if we'd have to go rent our own place somewhere.
That's providing he gets a job easily, I'm sure he will, the EEA route was just a suggestion as he's not settled in the UK at the moment and the spouse visa will need renewing again after 2.5 years. The fact that it's council accomodation shouldn't matter. The key is demonstrating that the house wouldn't be overcrowded by you living there although, you moving in may effect any benefits his mother receives which should be looked into prior to arrival.

DTaylor889
Newly Registered

Post by DTaylor889 » Tue May 21, 2013 2:43 pm

D4109125 wrote:
DTaylor889 wrote:
D4109125 wrote:
DTaylor889 wrote:
That's providing he gets a job easily, I'm sure he will, the EEA route was just a suggestion as he's not settled in the UK at the moment and the spouse visa will need renewing again after 2.5 years. The fact that it's council accomodation shouldn't matter. The key is demonstrating that the house wouldn't be overcrowded by you living there although, you moving in may effect any benefits his mother receives which should be looked into prior to arrival.
That is a good point. I don't think it does effect her but I will discuss with her about it. She is the only one living in a 3 bedroom house so it shouldn't be overcrowded. I have stayed with her multiple times and we've been fine. He should be alright as he has a lot of experience and some friends that should help him out if he needs it. He's only been gone for just over a year so it hasn't been too crazy long since he has been home. Thanks for the advice!