ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Statements of self assessment and NI contribution

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

ih2013
Newly Registered

Statements of self assessment and NI contribution

Post by ih2013 » Sun May 19, 2013 8:05 am

Dear All,

I need your urgent help here regarding on how to approach the situation and if anyone has encountered the same issues maybe you could make some suggestions.

My husband and i have submitted the joint application for citizenship 6and a half weeks ago. I received a letter (dated 13/05/13) through the post yesterday (18/05/13) requesting alternative residence information for my husband which is 'Original HMRC statements of self assessment and NI contributions showing payment dates' for the last 5 years. The information needs to reach them by 3rd June 13. Failure to provide it will result in the application being refused. I assume refusal will be for me as well considering it is a joint application.

Is HMRC going to provide me with these information in such a short time? It usually takes them 14days.

What do I do if I don't receive the documents on time.

PS - when submitting the application I have sent (as per the requirement list) the latest self-assessment statement. Why would they ask for more? We do have all tax returns, all paid bills for NIC ( but they want statement).

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Sun May 19, 2013 10:24 am

Contact the HMRC first thing tomorrow morning and urgently request these. They are able to print them off the system and send to you within a week. Stress the urgency of the request so it can be prioritised.

During my self-employment the HMRC always sent SA statements through the post after my SA had been assessed. Did your husband not receive his?

If you act decisively and quickly you should be able to meet the deadline in good time.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Statements of self assessment and NI contribution

Post by Amber » Sun May 19, 2013 10:25 am

ih2013 wrote:Dear All,

I need your urgent help here regarding on how to approach the situation and if anyone has encountered the same issues maybe you could make some suggestions.

My husband and i have submitted the joint application for citizenship 6and a half weeks ago. I received a letter (dated 13/05/13) through the post yesterday (18/05/13) requesting alternative residence information for my husband which is 'Original HMRC statements of self assessment and NI contributions showing payment dates' for the last 5 years. The information needs to reach them by 3rd June 13. Failure to provide it will result in the application being refused. I assume refusal will be for me as well considering it is a joint application.

Is HMRC going to provide me with these information in such a short time? It usually takes them 14days.

PS - when submitting the application I have sent (as per the requirement list) the latest self-assessment statement. Why would they ask for more? We do have all tax returns, all paid bills for NIC ( but they want statement).
If you can't get the evidence in time write to the ho and ask for an extension perhaps another two weeks, explain you have requested the information from the hmrc and will send it as soon as it arrives.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

ih2013
Newly Registered

Post by ih2013 » Sun May 19, 2013 11:10 am

Plum70 wrote:Contact the HMRC first thing tomorrow morning and urgently request these. They are able to print them off the system and send to you within a week. Stress the urgency of the request so it can be prioritised.

During my self-employment the HMRC always sent SA statements through the post after my SA had been assessed. Did your husband not receive his?

If you act decisively and quickly you should be able to meet the deadline in good time.
I will certainly do that, nonetheless should I not get them on time is there a chance of getting an extension?

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sun May 19, 2013 11:48 am

I assume refusal will be for me as well considering it is a joint application.
I do not think that is correct. Each application will be considered on its own merits.

I am surprised by the request for more information from HMRC, given UKBA have access to the HMRC computer system. When signing the Naturalisation application form, the declaration that was signed, specifically authorises UKBA to check the HMRC records.
John

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Sun May 19, 2013 12:06 pm

Has you husband provide a passport covering the 5 years of residence?

It is unusual for the HO to ask for additional tax information unless you haven't provided evidence of 5 years of residence in the first place.

ih2013
Newly Registered

Post by ih2013 » Sun May 19, 2013 12:12 pm

Jambo wrote:Has you husband provide a passport covering the 5 years of residence?

It is unusual for the HO to ask for additional tax information unless you haven't provided evidence of 5 years of residence in the first place.
There is no requirement for 5 year evidence when applying, just the last year.

The 5 year evidence was provided for the Indefinite Leave to remain. We are EU citizens, we don't get stamps on our passports when traveling in EU.

We needed 5 years qualifying period for the ILR.

ih2013
Newly Registered

Post by ih2013 » Sun May 19, 2013 12:14 pm

John wrote:
I do not think that is correct. Each application will be considered on its own merits.

I am surprised by the request for more information from HMRC, given UKBA have access to the HMRC computer system. When signing the Naturalisation application form, the declaration that was signed, specifically authorises UKBA to check the HMRC records.
Why would they do it? I don't know. The time given is very short considering their letters arrive 4-5days after the date of the letter.

ih2013
Newly Registered

Post by ih2013 » Sun May 19, 2013 12:17 pm

John wrote:

By sending a joint application we paid less. This makes me think that being joint, if one is refused the other will be too. Even though there is no reason for refusal. We have sent the documents requested.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Sun May 19, 2013 12:19 pm

ih2013 wrote: There is no requirement for 5 year evidence when applying, just the last year.
are you taking about residence or self assesment? Evidence for 5 years of residence is required even if you have PR.
The 5 year evidence was provided for the Indefinite Leave to remain. We are EU citizens, we don't get stamps on our passports when traveling in EU.

I presume you mean Permanent Residence (following EEA3). ILR is a granted for people under the UK immigration rules, not EU regulations. For naturalisation purposes PR and ILR are the same.

Having obtained PR doesn't mean you meet the residence requirements for naturalisation as the residence requirements are different (EEA regulations allow upto 6 months of absence each year. BC requires less than 450 days in 5 years).

If your passport is not stamped, you might be required to provide evidence of residence. This doesn't need to be HMRC records and other evidence (utility bills for example) can be used.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sun May 19, 2013 12:44 pm

By sending a joint application we paid less. This makes me think that being joint, if one is refused the other will be too.
They are separate applications, the only concession being about application fee. There is no evidence that if one application fails then the other must also fail.

Is there any doubt about your husband being physically in the UK exactly five years before UKBA received the Naturalisation applications?

Also when did he start exercising Treaty Rights in the UK?
John

ih2013
Newly Registered

Post by ih2013 » Sun May 19, 2013 12:44 pm

Jambo wrote:
ih2013 wrote: There is no requirement for 5 year evidence when applying, just the last year.
are you taking about residence or self assesment? Evidence for 5 years of residence is required even if you have PR.

I presume you mean Permanent Residence (following EEA3). ILR is a granted for people under the UK immigration rules, not EU regulations. For naturalisation purposes PR and ILR are the same.

Having obtained PR doesn't mean you meet the residence requirements for naturalisation as the residence requirements are different (EEA regulations allow upto 6 months of absence each year. BC requires less than 450 days in 5 years).

If your passport is not stamped, you might be required to provide evidence of residence. This doesn't need to be HMRC records and other evidence (utility bills for example) can be used.
I don't mean PR as we came with a different scheme.

He worked continuously, paying all the taxes and taking less than 15 days holiday per year.

They have attached an annex to the letter giving examples of what documents to send. For self-employed it is just the self-assessment statements and statements of NIn contribution. Both.

In support of the application the documents for self-employed is the last HMRC self assessment statement which I have sent however it does not suffice.

It would be very easy if there will be bills or bank statements etc as he has them all. He also has all the bills with proof of payment for the NIN from 2008 however it is not what thy asked. They want the statement showing the dates when payments were made.

ih2013
Newly Registered

Post by ih2013 » Sun May 19, 2013 12:51 pm

John wrote:
By sending a joint application we paid less. This makes me think that being joint, if one is refused the other will be too.
They are separate applications, the only concession being about application fee. There is no evidence that if one application fails then the other must also fail.

Is there any doubt about your husband being physically in the UK exactly five years before UKBA received the Naturalisation applications?

Also when did he start exercising Treaty Rights in the UK?
It should be no doubt whatsoever (we received ILR in April 2010 and we could have applied for naturalisation in 2011). It can be proven with bank statements/ invoices sent to clients/ tax returns/bills

He has been in continuous employment since in 2005.

My circumstances were all the same, the only difference is that I am employed and a letter from employer was enough, plus P60s.

My husband hasn't done his tax return for year 2012-2013 and that may be a problem as they want all record to April 2013. The tax return can be completed until Dec 13 if done online. Usually the statement is sent after completing the tax return. the short period given will unable him to complete everything. He will see his Accountant tomorrow and hopefully he will manage.

ih2013
Newly Registered

Re: Statements of self assessment and NI contribution

Post by ih2013 » Tue May 21, 2013 11:46 am

ih2013 wrote:Dear All,

Dear All,

Please advise if you know. The above mentioned letter (requesting additional information) has a different reference number to one on the Acknowledgement letter. Is that normal?

Additionally, the Statement for NI Contribution had to be done in writing and it could take up to 65days (it is a special format agreed between UK Boarder Agency and HMRC which does not show amounts, just dates).

As far as the Statements showing dates of paid taxes are concerned, I rang HMRC yesterday and they have told me that they never encountered such a request and that the statement will not show paid taxes but it will show the tax returned done. DOES ANYONE KNOW IF BY 'STATEMENTS FROM HMRC CONFIRMING DATES OF PAYMENT OF TAXES' HOME OFFICE MEANS THE SELF ASSESSMENT STATEMENT OF ACCOUNT? As these statements don't show dates of paid taxes and apparently HMRC doesn't give any other statements.

They will however send me those statements for the last 5 years as well as the tax returns. I am not sure if it will be what HO asked for.

The time frame to provide the requested information is extremely short.

Help on hand
Newly Registered

Post by Help on hand » Tue May 21, 2013 1:31 pm

I believe, it is evidence of payment, means you might have the other parts of receipt if paid in Post office or confirmation of payment sent to you if u paid online.