ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Is british national not an EEA national

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

helpwithilr
Newly Registered

Is british national not an EEA national

Post by helpwithilr » Tue May 21, 2013 2:38 pm

Hi All,

I have been looking to get a french visa for my wife. The site says she doesnt need a visa if the biometric permit says 'family member of EEA national'. My wife's card says 'Spouse of person with ILR' (she got the spouse visa when I was on ILR).

I called UKBA to see if we could change her permit to say 'family member of EEA national' because I am a british citizen now. The lady told me I am a British national but not an EEA national so the permit cannot be changed.

Sprry if this sounds daft but are british nationals not EEA nationals?

MPH80
Respected Guru

Post by MPH80 » Tue May 21, 2013 2:57 pm

UK citizens are part of the EU yes ... BUT ...

When an EEA national is in their home country - home law applies.

So - a UK citizen, inside the UK, is subject to UK immigration law. The permit that you are referring to in your post is issued to EU citizens from other countries bringing their non-EEA spouse to live here. This works regardless of which country you are from - so a German living in Germany has to obey German immigration law, but a Spanish person living in Germany falls under EU rules.

You could gain access to this kind of permit IF you went to another EU country, exercised your treaty rights (working/studying) and then returned with your wife - at this point you'd count under EU law rather than British law.

Confusing I know. It took me a little while when I first encountered it.

However, the flip of this is that your wife is entitled to a free schegen visa purely on the virtue of being married to you - so yes you have to apply, but it should be a very straightforward application.

M.

helpwithilr
Newly Registered

Post by helpwithilr » Tue May 21, 2013 3:07 pm

thanks mate. a lame law but law nonetheless