ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Working for foreign employer in the UK on Tier 1 (G)?

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

katwmn6

Working for foreign employer in the UK on Tier 1 (G)?

Post by katwmn6 » Wed May 22, 2013 4:24 pm

Hi all,

I am on Tier 1 (General) and am up for ILR in March 2014. I am trying to earn enough money for my income threshold and am considering a job offer from a small company based in Ireland. The job is based in the UK and my earnings would be paid into my UK bank account in GBP, but the employer is an Irish company with no UK branch.

My questions:

(1) Would claiming earnings from a foreign employer pose complications for my ILR application? (i.e. will I still be able to apply for ILR in-person at a PEO or would income from a foreign company automatically warrant additional scrutiny?)

(2) Would claiming earnings from a foreign employer jeopardise my UK experience points? (I presume not, as I would physically be present in the UK, but I cannot see anything in the immigration rules that defines exactly what qualifies as "earned in the UK".)

(3) Are there any requirements that I or the foreign company must meet for the earnings to be eligible? (e.g. company registration with/payment to HMRC, payment of class 2 NICs, etc)

(4) Would there be any advantage to having the employer register a UK-based company to employ me instead? (This is may be a possibility if there are any issues with working for the Ireland-based company, as the employer is aware of my ILR income requirement.)

I have been searching the immigration rules for clarification on the above and cannot find anything. I would very much appreciate any insight/direction to the applicable section(s) of the immigration rules.

Many thanks in advance!

sheraz7
Respected Guru

Post by sheraz7 » Wed May 22, 2013 10:16 pm

I believe if you contact HMRC then they might give you an alternative how to regularize foreign income into UK taxable income system. HMRC should have option relating to it:

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/migrantworkers/tax-non-uk.htm
Please donot send PM. Write in open forum to facilitate others too.
REGARDS