ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UK Citizen to marry NZ Citizen

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

blackcat
Newly Registered

UK Citizen to marry NZ Citizen

Post by blackcat » Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:16 pm

Hey all. I have been a spectator of this board for some time and just recently signed up.

My fiance moved over from the UK to be with me in NZ in July 2006. We plan to marry by the end of 2007. He is on a Work Holiday Visa for 23 months and he is due to go back to the UK in July 2008.

I am trying to make sure we get on the right path for visa's and whatnot. I will be going back with him in July 2008. What would I need to do for a marriage visa. And is their any preference to what country you marry in?

Please advise.

Regards.

Tara
22, Hamilton, New Zealand.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:26 pm

The two of you will presumably get married in NZ, and after that marriage you will want to apply for a 2-year spouse visa, in order to be allowed to live in the UK with your husband (as he will be).

Lots of information on the BHC website.
John

blackcat
Newly Registered

Post by blackcat » Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:31 pm

Thanks John for pointing me in the right direction, I will check out that website now.

Muchly appreciated :)

Tara

lizzy90
Newly Registered

Post by lizzy90 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:43 am

Hello Tara,

I'm in a similar situation where I'm about to get married to a UK citizen and I'm from NZ.

I am going over on a fiance visa in a few months. If you are planning to stay in the UK it may be better to get married in NZ and then go over on a spouse visa - it saves you money not having to apply for two visas (fiance then spouse).

But if you plan to return to NZ you can do a visit for marriage. The British High Commission in Wellington website has the forms you can download.

http://www.britishhighcommission.gov.uk/

They have been real busy at the moment but you can call them too.

Good Luck and Congratulations :)