ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UK Introduces A Tough New Points Based System For Migration

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

CHINN

UK Introduces A Tough New Points Based System For Migration

Post by CHINN » Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:02 pm

makon

Post by makon » Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:34 am

If you want to read about this in detail, then download the document via:

http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/documents/ ... -migration

mayana

Post by mayana » Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:06 pm

We all have to wait and see, this will certainly favour some people and unfavourable to others.

Mayana

metheanonymous
Newly Registered

Post by metheanonymous » Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:37 am

mayana wrote:We all have to wait and see, this will certainly favour some people and unfavourable to others.

Mayana

Can anybody guide me how the extension process is working. Whts the visa length given when u apply for the first time then for how long first extension is given and then how many extension are needed before we reach dream land.

Cheers

mayana

Post by mayana » Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:16 am

metheanonymous wrote:
mayana wrote:We all have to wait and see, this will certainly favour some people and unfavourable to others.

Mayana

Can anybody guide me how the extension process is working. Whts the visa length given when u apply for the first time then for how long first extension is given and then how many extension are needed before we reach dream land.

Cheers
Your comment;Can anybody guide me how the extension process is working.
My comment; The route to extension is determine by the type of permission granted to you by HO. Please visit this link to determine which best suits you;http://www.workingintheuk.gov.uk/workin ... ammes.html

NOTE
This section provides details of most of the schemes available to people wishing to come to the UK to work. You can access details through the links on the left-hand side of the page.

I hope this helps you.

Mayana

vc

Post by vc » Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:53 pm

Some interesting lines in the command paper (page 24) for Tier 1 - "Tier 1 is a route to settlement.......... we are considering the possibility of allowing the most successful to move directly to settlement after 2 years".

MSI GEEK

Post by MSI GEEK » Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:23 am

At the start of 2008, Tier 1 will completely replace the current HSMP scheme.

It will use a points-based approach to assessing which migrants should be allowed to enter or remain in UK. (similar to current HSMP scheme)

The points model and the pass-mark for Tier 1 is still unknown (subject to extensive research, analysis & testing by the Home Office).

By repeatedly changing the rules of entry & remain for Highly Skilled Professionals, the Home Office is sending a very wrong signal to all British employers.

Edelweiss

Similar to Australia?

Post by Edelweiss » Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:29 pm

I love the way the article says that the scheme is similar to the Australian scheme. There is one huge difference. You don't have to keep applying for extensions under their scheme. Once you have passed the initial application you have permanent residence. That means that you can plan your future and don't have to keep adjusting to changes made by the government. I really get upset when they compare themselves to other countries but are actually doing things so completely differently.

olisun
Diamond Member

Re: Similar to Australia?

Post by olisun » Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:06 pm

Edelweiss wrote:I love the way the article says that the scheme is similar to the Australian scheme. There is one huge difference. You don't have to keep applying for extensions under their scheme. Once you have passed the initial application you have permanent residence. That means that you can plan your future and don't have to keep adjusting to changes made by the government. I really get upset when they compare themselves to other countries but are actually doing things so completely differently.
Yeah but at the same time the Australian immigration don't make a decision within a week, or do they?

Edelweiss

Post by Edelweiss » Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:37 am

No they don't, but I would much rather have a long decision process and know that my future is secure, than a quick decision, which can constantly be reversed and changed at the whim of ministers who don't care about my life or future. Don't you?

metheanonymous
Newly Registered

Post by metheanonymous » Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:46 am

mayana wrote:
metheanonymous wrote:

Mayana

Cheers
Your comment;Can anybody guide me how the extension process is working.
My comment; The route to extension is determine by the type of permission granted to you by HO. Please visit this link to determine which best suits you;http://www.workingintheuk.gov.uk/workin ... ammes.html

NOTE
This section provides details of most of the schemes available to people wishing to come to the UK to work. You can access details through the links on the left-hand side of the page.

I hope this helps you.

Mayana
I would be switching from IGS to HSMP so I wanted to know what would they grant me under this.. VISA FOR 1 YEAR/ 2 Years and when will first extension will be due (AFter 1/2/3 Years) and for how long the Extension would be granted(2 Years/3 Years) before I reach "Indefinite Status". This info is not available on the link u sent so In short how many extensions would be required before we reach the dreamland. I have done MSc Computer Science and have acquired 1 year experience thru course placement and 1 more year under IGS.

Cheers!

MSI GEEK

Post by MSI GEEK » Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:45 am

No they don't, but I would much rather have a long decision process and know that my future is secure, than a quick decision, which can constantly be reversed and changed at the whim of ministers who don't care about my life or future. Don't you?
Initial grant of " 2 years " for HSMP is too short.

Since the rules are subject to change, many people on HSMP permit/visa will be living out of their suitcases. Also, employers will be reluctant to consider them for permanent jobs.

Compare with:

Australia - 457 subclass visa - 4 years
USA - H1B visa - 6 years

[/b]

coyote
Newly Registered

Post by coyote » Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:04 pm

Edelweiss wrote:No they don't, but I would much rather have a long decision process and know that my future is secure, than a quick decision, which can constantly be reversed and changed at the whim of ministers who don't care about my life or future. Don't you?
Australia also has provisional schemes which require you to "prove" your worthiness (visa subclasses other than the independent migration). But atleast it has one route which assures permanent residence before you land in the country. It doesn't take that long, less than an year. Compare this to 5 years in the UK.

I think UK immigration will realize that it's important to attract and retain the best and hope that the 2 year HSMP to ILR would be implemented in due course.

Although comparing countries and legislations without considering the context is useless, I'm also tempted to agree with others that Australia has a much more stable approach to immigration. Having lived in both countries, I find UK laws so experimental and treat people the same. But we also need to bear in mind that Australia has a rich experience dealing with immigration than UK.

So the best message to immigrant hopefuls from countries outside EU would be to inform them the ground situation and set the proper expectation. Personally I think most people should treat the HSMP as a route to work permit and actively seek for it from the beginning. The same message goes to students entering IGS. They'd better look for WP once they are in IGS rather than wait to to qualify for HSMP. But then this is just my suggestion.

coyote
Newly Registered

Post by coyote » Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:08 pm

MSI GEEK wrote:
Initial grant of " 2 years " for HSMP is too short.

Since the rules are subject to change, many people on HSMP permit/visa will be living out of their suitcases. Also, employers will be reluctant to consider them for permanent jobs.

Compare with:

Australia - 457 subclass visa - 4 years
USA - H1B visa - 6 years

[/b]
457 and H1B should not be compared against HSMP but Workpermit. They are employer bound and HSMP is not. Workpermit can be obtained for 5 years if I'm not mistaken.