ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

When to apply ?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

19eggs

When to apply ?

Post by 19eggs » Fri May 24, 2013 11:04 am

Dear all,

Can anyone shed some light on when I should apply for my Naturalisation?

I am to understand that one should hold the ILR for atleast 1 year. I applied for my ILR on 16 June 2012 and received it on 2nd Jan 2013. Going by this rule, I am eligible to apply on the first week of Dec 2013. But it got me thinking, why do we have to wait for 1 year when my postal application took 6 months. Does the HO consider 1 year, from the date a successful ILR application was made ?

I read that there is a discretion rule as well.

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=132135

Does it apply to us who applied before 9th July 2012 ?

Any advice ?

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: When to apply ?

Post by Amber » Fri May 24, 2013 12:46 pm

19eggs wrote:Dear all,

I am to understand that one should hold the ILR for atleast 1 year. I applied for my ILR on 16 June 2012 and received it on 2nd Jan 2013. Going by this rule, I am eligible to apply on the first week of Dec 2013. But it got me thinking, why do we have to wait for 1 year when my postal application took 6 months. Does the HO consider 1 year, from the date a successful ILR application was made ?

Any advice ?
Please see http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=135655
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

19eggs

Post by 19eggs » Fri May 24, 2013 1:30 pm

Dear D4109125,

Thank you so much for the reply. I browsed for similar post but could not find any.

That means, I can apply in mid-September..little more than 3 months. I don't there was any fault of mine for it take 6 months. I applied and waited. Was not asked to submit any further documents what so ever ?

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Fri May 24, 2013 1:34 pm

19eggs wrote:Dear D4109125,

Thank you so much for the reply. I browsed for similar post but could not find any.

That means, I can apply in mid-September..little more than 3 months. I don't there was any fault of mine for it take 6 months. I applied and waited. Was not asked to submit any further documents what so ever ?
It is up to the discretion of the caseworker but if you satisfy the standard requirements (but for 12 months settlement) and 7.5(g) then you ought to be successful. I take it you're not the spouse or civil partner of a British Citizen?
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

19eggs

Post by 19eggs » Fri May 24, 2013 2:39 pm

No, I am afraid I am not. Ahh! It is again up to the case worker....

The reason I am asking is that from Oct 13, one has to sit for English test and Life in the UK.

I still have not taken the "Life in the UK" test as I fell under HSMP JR (it was not required whilst applying for ILR). I have done my Master's from here so I understand, I will only have to sit for Life in the UK test not the english language, unless HSMP JR applicants can bypass both.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Sat May 25, 2013 5:42 am

19eggs wrote:No, I am afraid I am not. Ahh! It is again up to the case worker....

The reason I am asking is that from Oct 13, one has to sit for English test and Life in the UK.

I still have not taken the "Life in the UK" test as I fell under HSMP JR (it was not required whilst applying for ILR). I have done my Master's from here so I understand, I will only have to sit for Life in the UK test not the english language, unless HSMP JR applicants can bypass both.
Your Master's will exempt you from the new October 2013 requirement but you'll still have to satisfy http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/briti ... ation/kol/

sys_sagar

Re: When to apply ?

Post by sys_sagar » Sat May 25, 2013 7:35 pm

[quote="19eggs"]Dear all,

Any advice ?[/quote]

it is advisable if you apply for naturalization after 1 year. To determine the date, if you see the stamp of ILR on your passport, and you can count 1 year from that date. The requirement is to apply one 1 year after ILR and not 30 days before ILR completes.