ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Days Absent for Young Person British Citizenship Application

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

mteja
United Kingdom

Days Absent for Young Person British Citizenship Application

Post by mteja » Sun May 26, 2013 5:07 pm

Hello Good people

Am about to apply for both my daughter and myself British Citizenship.

Myself:- Currently separated,got my ILR thro Spouse route. Will be finishing my 5years in September.(2yrs Spouse Visa + 3years ILR). Number of days absent 100days in entire 5yrs.

My daughter 16yrs, got her ILE in Oct 2011. She had to finish 2years with her ILE before applying for British Citizenship. She has been out of UK 210days by the end of the 2years.

My question how many days is she supposed to be out of UK. Does that mean if we were to apply at the same time we might have to wait until she makes up the 210days?

Or how does it work?

What is the time we could both apply together? Will she still be able to apply as a child if she will be 17years. As her birthday is February.

Pls someone advise
togetherness as one

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Days Absent for Young Person British Citizenship Applica

Post by Amber » Sun May 26, 2013 6:29 pm

mteja wrote:Hello Good people

Am about to apply for both my daughter and myself British Citizenship.

Myself:- Currently separated,got my ILR thro Spouse route. Will be finishing my 5years in September.(2yrs Spouse Visa + 3years ILR). Number of days absent 100days in entire 5yrs.

My daughter 16yrs, got her ILE in Oct 2011. She had to finish 2years with her ILE before applying for British Citizenship. She has been out of UK 210days by the end of the 2years.

My question how many days is she supposed to be out of UK. Does that mean if we were to apply at the same time we might have to wait until she makes up the 210days?

Or how does it work?

What is the time we could both apply together? Will she still be able to apply as a child if she will be 17years. As her birthday is February.

Pls someone advise
See http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/briti ... thercases/

I take it the child was born abroad if so you'd stand a greater chance of registering the child once you become British.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

mteja
United Kingdom

Post by mteja » Sun May 26, 2013 6:40 pm

D4109125
Thanks for your reply.

Yes she was born abroad

What's the difference of applying at the same time?

Does that mean it wont be successful if we did apply together?
togetherness as one

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Sun May 26, 2013 6:51 pm

mteja wrote:D4109125
Thanks for your reply.

Yes she was born abroad

What's the difference of applying at the same time?

Does that mean it wont be successful if we did apply together?
Yes you can apply together although the case will rely on discretion though, if you are also going to be British this will support your case. If you look at the link it shows what requirements the caseworker looks at. The fact that your child is settled is also in her favour.
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

mteja
United Kingdom

Post by mteja » Sun May 26, 2013 7:16 pm

d4109125

Thanks once again for your reply.

But say if she was refused, and i was granted, when would she be eligible to reapply again?

Also technically am still married, as not divorced yet. Not sure if that would add up any weight in both the applications?

How many days is she supposed to be away for the 2years?
togetherness as one

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Sun May 26, 2013 8:26 pm

mteja wrote:d4109125

Thanks once again for your reply.

But say if she was refused, and i was granted, when would she be eligible to reapply again?

Also technically am still married, as not divorced yet. Not sure if that would add up any weight in both the applications?

How many days is she supposed to be away for the 2years?
There is no requirement as its discretionary. The longer in the uk the better. Is the mother/Father British and is your spouse British?

mteja
United Kingdom

Post by mteja » Sun May 26, 2013 8:33 pm

Am the mother and am yet to apply, so not A British. My X husband who we are now separated but not divorced yet is a British!! And we both got his support in our initial applications ie ILR & ILE respectively.
togetherness as one

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Sun May 26, 2013 8:39 pm

mteja wrote:Am the mother and am yet to apply, so not A British. My X husband who we are now separated but not divorced yet is a British!! And we both got his support in our initial applications ie ILR & ILE respectively.
If the marriage was a legal marriage recognised as such in the uk then as you're the spouse of a British Citizen and you can apply as such until the decree absolute comes through. You could have applied after 3 years and can apply now it appears. At the time the child was born was the father settled or British?
Last edited by Amber on Sun May 26, 2013 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mteja
United Kingdom

Post by mteja » Sun May 26, 2013 8:44 pm

Oh Yeah I understand that!
And yes its legally recognised as I got my spouse Visa and ILR thro my marriage.

My main concern was my daughter.

How many days is she allowed to have been out in the UK in the 2years waiting period?
togetherness as one

mteja
United Kingdom

Post by mteja » Sun May 26, 2013 8:45 pm

Missed this! The father of my child no idea where he is never seen him for the entire 16years I have my daughter.
togetherness as one

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Sun May 26, 2013 8:53 pm

mteja wrote:Missed this! The father of my child no idea where he is never seen him for the entire 16years I have my daughter.
Ok so the biological father is not your husband? When your child was granted ILE who said that she could not apply to register for 2 years? Of you are eligible to naturalise now perhaps you should and then apply to register your daughter.

mteja
United Kingdom

Post by mteja » Sun May 26, 2013 9:08 pm

No he is not the biological father.

I rang the Home Office Number, and they said because she is above I think it was 13years she needed to be in the UK for 2years before she qualifies?

A question that I still am wondering is, in her 2years in the UK how many days absence counts?

I don't think I can apply now until my five years finishes which ends in September? Because I don't have my husbands passport to take it like now.

Also the reason I wanted to put in both the application at the same, I think I do save a few £££. As it would be an adult and child applying together?

Correct me if am wrong pls
Last edited by mteja on Sun May 26, 2013 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
togetherness as one

mteja
United Kingdom

Post by mteja » Sun May 26, 2013 9:17 pm

And also the reason I haven't applied my BC yet(after the 3years)is I haven't got his passport. Which I will need when submitting either in NCS or direct.

Hence I am waiting for the 5years in total(2years spouse + 3yrs ILR) to be able to apply for my BC.

But trying save on the cost by putting both my application and my daughters together! Hence my initial question
togetherness as one

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Sun May 26, 2013 9:34 pm

mteja wrote:And also the reason I haven't applied my BC yet(after the 3years)is I haven't got his passport. Which I will need when submitting either in NCS or direct.

Hence I am waiting for the 5years in total(2years spouse + 3yrs ILR) to be able to apply for my BC.

But trying save on the cost by putting both my application and my daughters together! Hence my initial question
It is true that the HO will expect to see 2 years of residency however, you were saying two years after settlement and that is not the case. As I said if you become British now you stand a better chance as it unlikely the child can and will go anywhere else. Was your husband born in the UK and if so, do you know where?

mteja
United Kingdom

Post by mteja » Sun May 26, 2013 9:55 pm

Sorry abit confused...

My history...2years spouse visa, 3years in September ILR..that is a total 5years. If I was with still with my husband on my third year I could have applied my BC? But as we are not together waiting for 5years?

My daughter been in UK under 2years, on ILE. But in the 2years she has been out of the UK for 210 days.

My husband was born and bread in UK up North. Yes I know where he was born. I infact got copies of his birth Certificate,but they are very old need renewing.

If that's the case might have to apply my BC in September and then apply my daughters later. When applying separate how much will be her BC fee?
togetherness as one

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Sun May 26, 2013 9:58 pm

mteja wrote:Sorry abit confused...

My history...2years spouse visa, 3years in September ILR..that is a total 5years. If I was with still with my husband on my third year I could have applied my BC? But as we are not together waiting for 5years?

My daughter been in UK under 2years, on ILE. But in the 2years she has been out of the UK for 210 days.

My husband was born and bread in UK up North. Yes I know where he was born. I infact got copies of his birth Certificate,but they are very old need renewing.

If that's the case might have to apply my BC in September and then apply my daughters later. When applying separate how much will be her BC fee?
As you have your husband's birth certificate, your marriage certificate and you are settled and have been in the UK for 3+ years etc.... you can apply to naturalise now. You do not need to have your husband's passport the birth certificate will suffice.

Your daughter would be applying with discretion therefore none of the guidance is strict however, once you are British her chances would be improved.

mteja
United Kingdom

Post by mteja » Sun May 26, 2013 10:02 pm

Thanks a lot.

I really have appreciated all your input advise etc

Many thanks

I guess the ball is on my side now! :lol:
togetherness as one