ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA family permit application advice

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

stevez
Newly Registered

EEA family permit application advice

Post by stevez » Sun May 26, 2013 4:22 pm

Hello,

My spouse and I are planning to move to the UK at the end of August. We are a married gay couple (married in NY). Based on everything I have read, the gay marriage component should not be an issue.

He is an Austrian citizen that will be taking a fulltime professor position at a university near London. I am an USA citizen.

In the online application process, some questions have arisen that hopefully someone can help me with. Our goal is for me to arrive in the UK with him with EEA family permit in hand.

1) In the application I am asked how long I plan to stay. I plan to stay as long as he is working at the University. This is an indefinite length. The response that seems best is the expiration date of my passport. Does anyone have suggestions on what I should place here?

2) In step 7 of the application we are asked specifics about the EEA's current work situation. He currently works for a university in the USA. He has signed a contract for a postion in the UK that begins in September. The application does not allow me to put in a start date in the future. We were thinking we could put a start date of the signed contract date which is May 15. Does anyone have suggestions of what to do for this field? Should we just include info for the current job in USA and then include a letter explaining the situation?

3) There are also questions about where we will live in the UK. We will not lease an apartment until we arrive a couple of weeks before the position begins. Initially we will stay in bed and breakfast. Should we put down the address of the bed and breakfast? Or should we put down the address of the employer? Should we include a letter explaining the situation?

Thank you very much for your responses.

Cheers,

Steve

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Sun May 26, 2013 10:08 pm

Steve,

Your marriage / civil partnership ought to be recognised by the UK. Therefore, as far as the UK is concerned, you are the family member of an EU citizen. This gives you a number of rights, which I think you've been researching yourself.

As a non-visa national, you can apply for an EEA family permit if you chose to do so, though it is not mandatory. If you chose not to, see below.

Once in the UK, you can apply for a residence card (form EEA2). Having or not having a family permit will have no bearing whatsoever on whether this application will be successful or not.

One point to bear in mind is that, your right to live in an EU country will depend on the activities of your family member - worker, self-sufficient or student.

(I had edited a small typo in case anyone is wondering...).
Last edited by EUsmileWEallsmile on Sun May 26, 2013 10:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Pablito
Member of Standing
Poland

Post by Pablito » Sun May 26, 2013 10:08 pm

As an USA citizen I think you don't need visa to enter to UK, therefore you don't need to apply for visa which suppose to only facilitate entry for those who are visa nationals , once in UK you will be able to apply for residence card when your partner is already employed.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Sun May 26, 2013 10:10 pm

Pablito wrote:As an USA citizen I think you don't need visa to enter to UK, therefore you don't need to apply for visa which suppose to only facilitate entry for those who are visa nationals , once in UK you will be able to apply for residence card when your partner is already employed.
correct.