ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

WHAT BENEFITS IS MY WIFE ENTITLED

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

khan111
Newly Registered

WHAT BENEFITS IS MY WIFE ENTITLED

Post by khan111 » Tue May 28, 2013 1:17 pm

Hi There,
i am new to this forum and have read the threads trying to find any case matching my situation...!! well here it is....
my wife is a British citizen born here and i am on spouse visa just got on after the 9th july so obviously have to be a long way to go for my ILR and have to get a mid extention before getting to that stage. me and my wife are both working full time and living in a shared accomodation (just to keep the funds down and not to go for any benefits as i understood that none of us can take benefit as this will affect my mid extention and then ILR). but after visiting this forum i thought to ask experts in this matter to guide me. my wife is 6 months pregnant and so will be going off maternity leave in next couple of months and there will be only me supporting her and the child. i dont think my pay is enough for all of us so wanted to ask what benefits is my wife entitled for without having any effect on my visa extention as i am not entitled for any public fund.
your help is highly appreciated.

regards

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: WHAT BENEFITS IS MY WIFE ENTITLED

Post by Amber » Tue May 28, 2013 1:52 pm

khan111 wrote:Hi There,
i am new to this forum and have read the threads trying to find any case matching my situation...!! well here it is....
my wife is a British citizen born here and i am on spouse visa just got on after the 9th july so obviously have to be a long way to go for my ILR and have to get a mid extention before getting to that stage. me and my wife are both working full time and living in a shared accomodation (just to keep the funds down and not to go for any benefits as i understood that none of us can take benefit as this will affect my mid extention and then ILR). but after visiting this forum i thought to ask experts in this matter to guide me. my wife is 6 months pregnant and so will be going off maternity leave in next couple of months and there will be only me supporting her and the child. i dont think my pay is enough for all of us so wanted to ask what benefits is my wife entitled for without having any effect on my visa extention as i am not entitled for any public fund.
your help is highly appreciated.

regards
Well your wife can claim any benefits she is entitled to that would include child benefit when she has the baby and possibly the sure start maternity grant. You can make a joint claim for tax credits. For a full benefit entitlement check visit your local cab and ask for a 'what if' benefit calculation when your wife is on maternity leave/has baby. Don't forget to mention that you're subject to immigration control.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

khan111
Newly Registered

Post by khan111 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:45 am

hi guru
thanks for the reply i will try and find out about 'what if' benefit checklist but do you have any idea if my wife can claim for housing benefit on her name while i being on immigration control and not effecting me if i am living with her?? also i am working full time with an annual income of 17500 before tax, is she still entitled for housing benefit on her and baby behalf??

regards

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:52 am

khan111 wrote:hi guru
thanks for the reply i will try and find out about 'what if' benefit checklist but do you have any idea if my wife can claim for housing benefit on her name while i being on immigration control and not effecting me if i am living with her?? also i am working full time with an annual income of 17500 before tax, is she still entitled for housing benefit on her and baby behalf??

regards
She is entitled to make a claim. However, as you are subject to immigration control the applicable amount must not include an amount for you. Given the fact that local authorities keep including couples I would avoid a claim until you are settled, however, if you need to claim it will be as a couple thus, your income will be taken into account although, the amount must not include an amount for you as you are subject to immigration control. Popping into your local CAB is your best bet.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

khan111
Newly Registered

Post by khan111 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:05 am

thanks

i will visit my local council and find out first what is the available options and will keep you posted!!

regards