ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Name change before naturalisation

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

haider14
Newly Registered

Name change before naturalisation

Post by haider14 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:46 pm

Hello guys and thanks for having this wonderful useful board.

A friend of mine is facing the following situation:

She is going to apply for the citizenship next year. But she would like to change her name.

She wants to shorten her long first name by deleting letters and keeping the first four letters.
She also wants to use here grandfather name as sure name instead of her current one as it is long too.

Anyway, her ILR and current foreign passport identify her by her long names.

Is it possible to have the citizenship certificate issued with her new names? or she must apply with the names she already got on the ILR?

She also wants to use the short names in the British passport when she applies for it later.

Some friends advised her with something called Deed Poll but she got confused as there many websites offer that and doesn't know which one is the right one and also because the ukba site said that minor name change my not need a deed poll.

Can someone please advise about this matter or share with us what they have done so we help my friend or any other person who is in the same situation?

Many thanks

selva

Re: Name change before naturalisation

Post by selva » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:54 pm

haider14 wrote:Hello guys and thanks for having this wonderful useful board.

She is going to apply for the citizenship next year. But she would like to change her name.

She wants to shorten her long first name by deleting letters and keeping the first four letters.
She also wants to use here grandfather name as sure name instead of her current one as it is long too.

Is it possible to have the citizenship certificate issued with her new names? or she must apply with the names she already got on the ILR?

She also wants to use the short names in the British passport when she applies for it later.

Some friends advised her with something called Deed Poll but she got confused as there many websites offer that and doesn't know which one is the right one and also because the ukba site said that minor name change my not need a deed poll.

Can someone please advise about this matter or share with us what they have done so we help my friend or any other person who is in the same situation?

Many thanks
Its look like your friend is changing first name and also surname, so she needs to do a deed poll so that both name can be legally connected. If she does it before applying for citizenship certificate then yes she can get the new name on citizenship certificate and later on her passport.

haider14
Newly Registered

Post by haider14 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:41 pm

Its look like your friend is changing first name and also surname, so she needs to do a deed poll so that both name can be legally connected. If she does it before applying for citizenship certificate then yes she can get the new name on citizenship certificate and later on her passport.
Thanks Selva for the reply.

Is there any specific company that issues the deed poll or it is just any company google shows when she searches for that?

and when she gets the deed poll, what will be the procedures when applying for the naturalisation?

Because the ILR will be showing the old name, so does she need to only attach the deed poll to the application or some other forms are needed to be filled?

ravikd

Post by ravikd » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:05 pm

I am in same situation. There is no surname on my current passport so I would like to add it on my first British Passport. I ordered a deed poll from deedpoll(dot)org(dot)uk. According to their website, it's accepted by Identity and Passport services. Deed poll should be executed in presence of a witness. I have got my citizenship approved and naturalization certification on old name(without surname). I am going to apply for my first British passport on Saturday (attaching deed poll). Will keep you posted.
haider14 wrote:

Is there any specific company that issues the deed poll or it is just any company google shows when she searches for that?

and when she gets the deed poll, what will be the procedures when applying for the naturalisation?

Because the ILR will be showing the old name, so does she need to only attach the deed poll to the application or some other forms are needed to be filled?

haider14
Newly Registered

Post by haider14 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:41 pm

Good luck mate... Keep us updated.

ravikd wrote:I am in same situation. There is no surname on my current passport so I would like to add it on my first British Passport. I ordered a deed poll from deedpoll(dot)org(dot)uk. According to their website, it's accepted by Identity and Passport services. Deed poll should be executed in presence of a witness. I have got my citizenship approved and naturalization certification on old name(without surname). I am going to apply for my first British passport on Saturday (attaching deed poll). Will keep you posted.
haider14 wrote:

haider14
Newly Registered

Post by haider14 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:35 am

selva wrote:

Many thanks

Does she need to change her name in her original foreign passport?

ravikd

Post by ravikd » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:04 am

No,she needs not. She will have to execute a deed poll just before applying for the first British passport (after ceremony). I did the same and went through fine.

haider14 wrote:
selva wrote:

Many thanks

Faizuks
Newly Registered

Post by Faizuks » Wed May 29, 2013 4:53 pm

I am on the same situation here in UK. I have got approved for naturalisation and attending ceremony on 9th july..

I am hoping to submit Deed Poll when I attend the ceremony..

When I surrender My Indian Passport, Can I get name changed on the surrender certificate and OCI card?

Do I have to do any thing else apart from Deed Poll to change my name?
ravikd wrote:No,she needs not. She will have to execute a deed poll just before applying for the first British passport (after ceremony). I did the same and went through fine.

haider14 wrote:
selva wrote:

Many thanks