ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can I apply for naturalisation from abroad (outside the UK)?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

braing
Newly Registered

Can I apply for naturalisation from abroad (outside the UK)?

Post by braing » Thu May 30, 2013 9:04 pm

Gents and Ladies,

I got my ILR on July 15, 2012 via the 5-year work-permit route, and I'm hoping to apply for naturalisation (after the mandatory 12 months post-ILR) on July 17th 2013.

However, I wont be physically present in the UK in July, as I'll be relocating to the US at the end of June 2013 for 1-year (due to a job assignment for a UK-based company). After this one year period in the US, I'll be moving back to the UK to continue working for the same company.

I'd be grateful if someone could confirm whether or not I can apply from the USA in July. I have already seen this page (http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... 66-nat-add) which seems to suggest that this is possible. Further confirmation from someone here would definitely be of much help.

Please note that I meet the other requirements relating to number of absences. I'll only be 17 days away from the UK during this last 12-month period (i.e if I travel to US on June 29th but my citizenship application is due on July 16th).

Thanks for your time and assistance.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Thu May 30, 2013 10:08 pm

Technically possible. In practice will probably raise questions about you meeting the future intentions requirement.

teawithlemon

Re: Can I apply for naturalisation from abroad (outside the

Post by teawithlemon » Fri May 31, 2013 4:02 am

braing wrote:Gents and Ladies,

I got my ILR on July 15, 2012 via the 5-year work-permit route, and I'm hoping to apply for naturalisation (after the mandatory 12 months post-ILR) on July 17th 2013.

However, I wont be physically present in the UK in July, as I'll be relocating to the US at the end of June 2013 for 1-year (due to a job assignment for a UK-based company). After this one year period in the US, I'll be moving back to the UK to continue working for the same company.

I'd be grateful if someone could confirm whether or not I can apply from the USA in July. I have already seen this page (http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... 66-nat-add) which seems to suggest that this is possible. Further confirmation from someone here would definitely be of much help.

Please note that I meet the other requirements relating to number of absences. I'll only be 17 days away from the UK during this last 12-month period (i.e if I travel to US on June 29th but my citizenship application is due on July 16th).

Thanks for your time and assistance.
It will raise a question regarding your intention of stay UK longer in future unless you got strong connection with UK like family life in here. And also if your application get approved then you need to take an oath within 3 months.

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri May 31, 2013 5:16 am

A naturalisation application from outside the UK is likely to fail, unless you are the spouse or civil partner of a British citizen.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

ric1982
Member of Standing

Post by ric1982 » Fri May 31, 2013 8:12 am

vinny wrote:A naturalisation application from outside the UK is likely to fail, unless you are the spouse or civil partner of a British citizen.
Even then you will need a very good reason to be outside UK (e.g. spouse's relocation outside uk due to job reason etc.)

zezezee
Newly Registered

Post by zezezee » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:27 pm

Hi,

I wonder how your situation was resolved, if it had been resolved? Can you share your experience with us please.

My wife is in a similar situation. We have a travel coming up at the time when her naturalisation application is due (spouse of a BC and having lived in the UK for 3 years) and we wondered if we can leave the application to be submitted by the lawyers whilst we are out of the country.

Our case is slightly different in that we still live and will be resident in the UK after the application anyway, so we might not have any issues with the intention of living elsewhere afterwards.

Thanks!

neoseal
Member of Standing

Post by neoseal » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:08 pm

For how long will you be out of country. Lawyers can submit the application, but then on approval, your wife will need to attend the ceremony.

zezezee
Newly Registered

Post by zezezee » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:33 pm

Thanks for your reply.

Not long at long. My wife should be back in the UK within 2/3 weeks of the time anyway.

Application is due on the 18 January 2014 and she should be away from December 2013 to be back in February 2014.

Thanks

neoseal
Member of Standing

Post by neoseal » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:47 pm

Will she full fill the residence requirement including the holidays from Dec 2013 to 18th Jan 2014.

I would say that if she meets the residence requirement including the full holidays until Feb 2014, then apply when she is back here.