ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Questions about switching from Student to Spouse Visa

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ruuh

Questions about switching from Student to Spouse Visa

Post by ruuh » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:30 pm

Hi everyone,

My cousin is currently on a student visa. He has been in the UK for 3 or 4 years now and his student visa expires next April. He is both working and studying. He does not work more than allowed (I think the limit is 20 hours a week), and he goes to college as he should.

Now, he has met a girl who he wishes to marry. My understanding is that he can switch from a student visa to a spouse visa, because his student visa was given for a period longer than 6 months. I would appreciate your help with the following questions.

1. Is it form FLR(O) he needs to use?
2. When is the earliest/latest he can/should apply?
3. Will joint income be considered for the financial requirement of £18,600 in this case or will only the sponsor's income be considered? He is already living and working in the UK and will live together with his wife as soon as he is married, so it would make sense for joint income to be considered. For example, if his wife works part time and earns 7,000 a year gross, and he earns 12,000 a year gross, would that be ok?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:35 pm

It is form FLR(M) for a spouse visa/unmarried partner visa.

Is your friend applying after he gets married or before? How long has he known her? Is she British/settled??

The income requirement of £18,600 is the minimum and anything less will most likely result in refusal.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas ... ing-in-uk/
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

ruuh

Post by ruuh » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:57 pm

CR001 wrote:It is form FLR(M) for a spouse visa/unmarried partner visa.

Is your friend applying after he gets married or before? How long has he known her? Is she British/settled??

The income requirement of £18,600 is the minimum and anything less will most likely result in refusal.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas ... ing-in-uk/
Thanks for replying. OK .. FLR(M). Gotcha. He has known her a while... probably 6 months or so. She is British (was born here). About the income, my main concern is whether joint income can be shown or must it be her income only? Thanks again. :)

ruuh

Post by ruuh » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:12 pm

Having read:
You can meet the financial requirement through:
  • the income from employment or self employment of your sponsor;
  • the income from your employment or self employment if you are in the UK;
At

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas ... financial/

the issue is now resolved.