ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 2 Sponsored Visa - 5 years served - Apply for ILR

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Dcb1982
Newly Registered

Tier 2 Sponsored Visa - 5 years served - Apply for ILR

Post by Dcb1982 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:17 pm

Hi,

Apologies if this has already been asked but I couldn't see anything. I am not very clued up about all of this and am trying to familiarise myself with it all before I apply using SET (O) early next year.

Is there anywhere where this process has been broken down and simplified for people like me?!? I have had a look around these boards and read about biometric results, bank statements and supporting evidence etc and it's all a bit daunting for someone who doesn't understand all of the terminology!

I am a New Zealand citizen and applied for a job in the UK whilst living at home. The people I work for organised my visa and I have a 5 year sponsored visa for the UK (it runs out next March). Since I have been here I have go engaged to a UK citizen and we are getting married at the end of the year (before my visa runs out). I do not plan to apply for ILR through her as can do it on my own, I will probably make a note of it on my application form if there is a place. I can carry on working for my current employer but they say it's up to me to take on the visa application process which is fine.

Can someone briefly explain where I should go from here to apply? Also can you breakdown the process for me so I know what to expect? Are there any tips you can give me? In any of your experience do you think there is a good chance of me being granted ILR? We plan to continue to live in the UK do eventually I plan to apply for naturalisation. Does anyone think I should get an immigration lawyer to just sort it out or would that be really expensive?

Thank you so much in advance for any help you are able to give me. The thought of applying next year is stressing me out a little bit!!!

Cheers

Dcb1982
Newly Registered

Post by Dcb1982 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:42 pm

Sorry forgot to say, do I need to take a test on UK life?
Lastly, I have read that you need a certain amount of money/salary to be considered. I earn around £30,000 p/a and we have some savings will that be sufficient?

Thanks

deleted_user

Post by deleted_user » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:45 pm

5 years served
Firstly, I congratulate you sir on your choice of words. I could not have expressed your 5 years in the UK better :lol:
Is there anywhere where this process has been broken down and simplified for people like me?!? I have had a look around these boards and read about biometric results, bank statements and supporting evidence etc and it's all a bit daunting for someone who doesn't understand all of the terminology!
No. The governments idea is to make this experience as painful for you as possible :shock:. But we are a helpful bunch on this forum and we will try and make it easy.

So first things first you should read the official guidance from UKBA here. It is important that you are doing the same job that your sponsor applied your sponsorship for. If you have been promoted but the sponsorship document still states you are doing the old job, you are going to be in trouble.

Most importantly you will need a letter from your employer confirming you are still doing the same job, are paying you well, and they are still happy to keep you employed with them after you get a visa. Thats where most trouble brews, because employers don't want to commit on your future employability or salary in a letter.

Once that is done you need to worry about leaves, if you have spent more than 180 days outside UK in any year during those 5 years you were serving.

Then you need to show proofs of your salary (payslips and bank statements), english language (if applying after Oct 2013), and Britishness.

Thats kind of the overview. Ask more specific questions as you go along and get stuck.

Dcb1982
Newly Registered

Post by Dcb1982 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:52 pm

That's brilliant, thank you :)

There should be no problem with my employers writing a letter, I am still doin g the same job, same job title, have had a pay increase but that shouldn't matter if the job title is still the same right?

I haven't had more than 35 days out of the country in any year, I only get that amount of annual leave per year anyway.

Will start collecting bank statements too...

Hopefully I should be covered for most of the things mentioned. Really hoping
The fact I am marrying a British Citizen will help too, where should I put that on the form?

Last question is about the biometric test, what exactly is it? Will I have to take a test too?

Thanks, you're right...they do make it difficult don't they!!

deleted_user

Post by deleted_user » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:28 pm

I am still doin g the same job, same job title, have had a pay increase but that shouldn't matter if the job title is still the same right?
Better, the more tax you pay!

The fact I am marrying a British Citizen will help too, where should I put that on the form?
Not too sure about that. HO don't like British citizens who marry foreigners.
Last question is about the biometric test, what exactly is it? Will I have to take a test too?
Its not a test. Its the process of collecting your biometric information, photograph and fingerprints. You will need to have all your fingers.