ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation Cretificate Name change

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

boo02
Newly Registered

Naturalisation Cretificate Name change

Post by boo02 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:12 pm

Hi all, it seems that many of you are very experienced with the way that UKBA deals with naturalisation applications, so I really hope you can help me with my question here which I'm really puzzled about.

In my British naturalisation application form, I have requested that a different name to be used for my certificate of naturalisation rather than the names on my passport, because I don't use my passport names at all and I'm only known to friends and colleagues as my adopoted names. I received an email about a month after my application date from a case officer, informing me that if I wanted my adopted names on my certificate of naturalisation, I'd have to get a change of name deed and he can delay my application while I get that. Alternatively I need to tell him if I wanted to use my passport names.

I was very keen to "correct" my names especially for at a start of a new nationality, and I work for a law firm so it was really easy for me to get a change of name deed. So I sent back an email attaching my change of name deed the next day. That was 17th May. However since then I haven't heard back at all, not even an email acknowledging it. On 28th May I got worried and emailed the case worker asking if there's anything else he needs, but haven't got any replies either.

Does any of you know what I should do now? If the Change of Name deed is causing all the delay, do you think I should email the case worker and tell him to forget about my request and just proceed with my application using my passport names?

I'm really confused and I would really appreciate your thoughts! Many thanks in advance!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:18 pm

I left my daughters middle name off the MN1 application form by mistake. They also contacted me query the name difference between the passport and the form. I sent a letter on 2nd May and an email acknowledging my error and on Friday, 31st May I received her BC registration certificate in the mail and the certificate was dated 23rd May.

So my guess is that it takes about 3 weeks or so. Also, in the letter I received from the caseworker, they had given me a deadline of 8th May by which I had to respond.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

boo02
Newly Registered

Post by boo02 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:31 pm

many thanks CR001 for sharing your experience with me. Did you get any acknowledgement from UKBA/your case officer after you sent them your letter & email on 2 May?

ric1982
Member of Standing

Re: Naturalisation Cretificate Name change

Post by ric1982 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:09 pm

boo02 wrote:Hi all, it seems that many of you are very experienced with the way that UKBA deals with naturalisation applications, so I really hope you can help me with my question here which I'm really puzzled about.

In my British naturalisation application form, I have requested that a different name to be used for my certificate of naturalisation rather than the names on my passport, because I don't use my passport names at all and I'm only known to friends and colleagues as my adopoted names. I received an email about a month after my application date from a case officer, informing me that if I wanted my adopted names on my certificate of naturalisation, I'd have to get a change of name deed and he can delay my application while I get that. Alternatively I need to tell him if I wanted to use my passport names.

I was very keen to "correct" my names especially for at a start of a new nationality, and I work for a law firm so it was really easy for me to get a change of name deed. So I sent back an email attaching my change of name deed the next day. That was 17th May. However since then I haven't heard back at all, not even an email acknowledging it. On 28th May I got worried and emailed the case worker asking if there's anything else he needs, but haven't got any replies either.

Does any of you know what I should do now? If the Change of Name deed is causing all the delay, do you think I should email the case worker and tell him to forget about my request and just proceed with my application using my passport names?

I'm really confused and I would really appreciate your thoughts! Many thanks in advance!
Hi,

We applied for my spouse. We have a asked to put slightly different name on the naturalisation certificate.

e.g. Maryben John Smith to Mary John Smith. Do you think/know if this is a complicated change which could delay the application? Would they ask for deed poll?

Thanks,
Last edited by ric1982 on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:11 pm

No, but I did send the letter by 1st class signed for delivery mail so knew that it had been received and the email I sent I put a read receipt on it and saw when it was read/opened.

I don't think they send a second acknowledgement if additional documents are sent.

I was going to contact the caseworker this week if I had not heard or received anything but then it arrived. So maybe wait till mid June and see if you get anything.

I hope you hear soon.

Char
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

boo02
Newly Registered

Post by boo02 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:41 pm

Thanks Char! You've done well including a read-receipt on your email, wished I'd thought of that! Really hope that I'll hear back from them soon.

ric1982 - although I'm not an expert at all, but in my opinion you would need a change of name deed, even if the change to your name is small. I think you could get prepared by getting a change of name deed first, but that's just my opinion. My case is a bit different as I ask for a completely different name to be included.

boo02
Newly Registered

Suggestion

Post by boo02 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:55 am

An update: my naturalisation application has been approved, and my approval letter and naturalisation certificate were both issued in my old name. A few days after my approval letter arrived, I have received a separate letter from my case officer suggesting that I send back my naturalisation certificate in order for him to re-issue another one in my new name.

Looking back, my sugestion to anyone in the same situation with their names would be, to apply using your old name don't bother with change-of-name at this stage. Once you have your naturalisation certificate, then get your change of name deed, and send that in with your application for your first passport.

However, if you would like to have your naturalisation certificate issued in your new name (for whatever reason), then you could follow any instruction you may receive to send back your old certificate for them to issue you a new one (like the one I got), and wait for that before you can apply for your first passport. Obviously that would be a longer process.

Hope this helps.