ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Isle of Man

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ca2lejero
Newly Registered

Isle of Man

Post by ca2lejero » Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:20 pm

Hey, people! Have a question. Does Isle of Man have its own immigration laws, or the UK laws apply? If yes, are they easier, harder? I understand it´s not a separate country... What is it then?
Thanks a lot.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: Isle of Man

Post by Wanderer » Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:20 am

ca2lejero wrote:Hey, people! Have a question. Does Isle of Man have its own immigration laws, or the UK laws apply? If yes, are they easier, harder? I understand it´s not a separate country... What is it then?
Thanks a lot.
Yep - u need to have like 10 million pounds! It's a tax haven for the seriously rich!

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:29 am

Wanderer wrote: Yep - u need to have like 10 million pounds! It's a tax haven for the seriously rich!
You must be thinking of Jersey. Isle of Man immigration controls are comparatively light touched in comparison.

Incidentally, immigration control in the IOM, Jersey and Guernsey has two components:

- Immigration Rules, modeled on the UK (similar, but not identical). These do not apply to British citizens; and
- Controls over house purchase, rental and employment. These apply to anyone without "local" status.

The nationality rules are the same as the UK.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:00 am

JAJ wrote:
Wanderer wrote: Yep - u need to have like 10 million pounds! It's a tax haven for the seriously rich!
You must be thinking of Jersey. Isle of Man immigration controls are comparatively light touched in comparison.

Incidentally, immigration control in the IOM, Jersey and Guernsey has two components:

- Immigration Rules, modeled on the UK (similar, but not identical). These do not apply to British citizens; and
- Controls over house purchase, rental and employment. These apply to anyone without "local" status.

The nationality rules are the same as the UK.
U sure JAJ? I remember a trip to IoM in the eighties, followed by me wanting to live there, followed by them with 'no u bloody well can't"!

I know u can't get there with a job offer, but theres not that many of them, but i'm sure it was more difficult in some way....

It is a tax haven tho - ISTR income tax is 10% and thats it, no more....

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:04 am

Wanderer wrote: U sure JAJ? I remember a trip to IoM in the eighties, followed by me wanting to live there, followed by them with 'no u bloody well can't"!
http://www.gov.im/cso/immigration/faqs.xml#20

I am a British citizen. What do I have to do to live in the Isle of Man?
If you are a British citizen you do not require any clearance from the Immigration Office to live in the Isle of Man, but you may require a work permit issued under the Isle of Man Control of Employment Acts if you want to work on the Island (or take up self-employment).

It is a tax haven tho - ISTR income tax is 10% and thats it, no more....
Last time I checked the top income tax rate was 20%. VAT is levied at the same rate as in the UK.

PaperPusher
Respected Guru

Post by PaperPusher » Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:33 pm

ca2lejero wrote:Hey, people! Have a question. Does Isle of Man have its own immigration laws, or the UK laws apply? If yes, are they easier, harder? I understand it´s not a separate country... What is it then?
Thanks a lot.
This may be useful, from http://www.gov.im/cso/immigration/faqs.xml#23 :

I am a foreign national. What are the requirements if I want to come and live on the Isle of Man?

The admission of foreign nationals is regulated by the Isle of Man Immigration Rules. The Rules lay down the requirements for the entry and stay of foreign nationals in the Isle of Man. The Isle of Man Rules, whilst not identical to the United Kingdom (UK) Rules, are based on the UK Rules and are very similar. However, they are not identical and there are some provisions in the UK Rules that do not apply here and some in the Isle of Man Rules that do not apply in the UK. There are also, as in the UK, provisions in the Rules that apply only to Commonwealth citizens. It is important that people interested in emigrating to the Isle of Man check to see what the requirements are as it may be that an entry clearance is required. Without the necessary entry clearance the passenger may be refused entry to the United Kingdom or the Isle of Man. The requirements are laid down in a Statutory Document called "Statement of Changes in Immigration Rules" available from the Tynwald library for £8.60 (www.tynwald.org.im). You should check with the library though as they may require a contribution towards the cost of posting them to you. The UK Immigration Rules are published on the world wide web at http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/ind/hpg.htm

http://www.gov.im/lib/docs/cso/isleofma ... sfinal.pdf for "Statement of Changes in Immigration Rules"

It says this at http://www.gov.im/lib/docs/dti/employme ... eofman.pdf

In general terms Control of Employment legislation applies to British and European passport holders.
Persons who are overseas nationals are likely to be subject to control under the U.K. Immigration Act and
need to seek advices of the Overseas Labour Section at the address given below ..........
Overseas Labour Section
Department of Trade & Industry
Employment Services
Hamilton House
Peel Road
Douglas
Isle of Man
IM1 5EP
Phone: (01624)682390
Fax: (01624) 682388

Hope this helps. :)

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:33 am

PaperPusher wrote: I am a foreign national. What are the requirements if I want to come and live on the Isle of Man?
All this is good information, however it doesn't alter the fact that living on the Isle of Man may not count when it comes to applying for UK ILR or vice versa. For example, it definitely does not count for obtaining EEA/Swiss rules Permanent Residence after 5 years in the UK.

And it's not clear whether EEA rules Permanent Residence (obtained in the UK) would be honoured by the Isle of Man Goverment.

Irish citizens (who don't need ILR) are really the only foreigners free to move between the UK and Isle of Man without any concern for the impact on British ILR/citizenship.

It makes sense to become a British citizen first, then move to the Isle of Man. Or naturalise in the IOM before moving to the UK itself.

Note that British citizens naturalised in the Isle of Man will not have the right to EEA free movement of labour provisions unless they have a parent/grandparent born in the UK itself, or have lived in the UK for 5 years. Same goes for children who are born in the Isle of Man to British citizens or ILR holders.