ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

naturalisation process

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

vkv82
Newly Registered

naturalisation process

Post by vkv82 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:56 am

Folks,

i and my wife are in line to apply for naturalisation in few months time.

I am a regular visitor of this site and have read many posts in relation to my query.

I would appreciate if more experienced members of this forum can confirm something for me.

It about the Process of naturalisation and associated timescales.

For "Student -> WP -> Tier 1 -> ILR" as main applicant and one dependent; i understand the naturalisation process as follows:

1. When ready, We fill up the form and take all the required docs to NCS. They will check and forward our application to HomeOffice (HO). Original will be returned to us.
2. Assuming application is approved, HO will write to us in XXX weeks time with a confirmation/ approval letter, ceremony date letter and a Form that we will have to complete and return in 7 days.
3. As per the ceremony letter, we either attend on the given date or ring Local council with XXX Days to arrange a private ceremony.
4. We should receive our Citizenship certificate on the day of Oath Ceremony.
5. Then we apply for British passport which further could take XXX days

Please tell me if i understand the process correctly?
and a reasonable estimate of days marked as XXX ? I know HO website may say up to 6 months for everything. But i am after some reasonable estimates based on experience.

Thanks
VK

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: naturalisation process

Post by CR001 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:22 pm

vkv82 wrote:Folks,

i and my wife are in line to apply for naturalisation in few months time.

I am a regular visitor of this site and have read many posts in relation to my query.

I would appreciate if more experienced members of this forum can confirm something for me.

It about the Process of naturalisation and associated timescales.

For "Student -> WP -> Tier 1 -> ILR" as main applicant and one dependent; i understand the naturalisation process as follows:

1. When ready, We fill up the form and take all the required docs to NCS. They will check and forward our application to HomeOffice (HO). Original will be returned to us. Yes but you need to make an appointment for NCS and pay a fee for the service
2. Assuming application is approved, HO will write to us in XXX weeks time with a confirmation/ approval letter, ceremony date letter and a Form that we will have to complete and return in 7 days. What form would this be and what is the purpose of this form??
3. As per the ceremony letter, we either attend on the given date or ring Local council with XXX Days to arrange a private ceremony. You receive a letter to contact council and you need to make an appointment for the ceremony
4. We should receive our Citizenship certificate on the day of Oath Ceremony. Yes
5. Then we apply for British passport which further could take XXX days Yes

Please tell me if i understand the process correctly?
and a reasonable estimate of days marked as XXX ? I know HO website may say up to 6 months for everything. But i am after some reasonable estimates based on experience. I applied in October last year and mine took 6.5 weeks from submission to approval. I booked my ceremony for 2 weeks after the approval/invitation arrived. My daughters MN1 took 2 months

Thanks
VK
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

vkv82
Newly Registered

Post by vkv82 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:15 pm

many thx for your reply CR001.

Let me frame my questions properly here.

1. In case of approval ; what does the HO send back to the applicant following the application made at NCS?
i.e. Is it an approval letter ? or Is it a ceremony appointment at local NCS? or Is it a form ?
Does applicant need to wait for more time for anything else from HO?
Do these doc(s) come in One post altogether?
Can the applicant contact the council for Private ceremony straightway after receiving the approval docs?

2. I have heard a word 'Interview' quite often in the posts. Is this the 'Initial appointment' at NCS ? Or is there any separate Interview at a later stage during the process?

guys, please be patient with my not-so-normal questions. I am trying to arrange the travel dates for my Wife and daughter. So just making sure i understand the process and approx. timelines.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:24 pm

vkv82 wrote:many thx for your reply CR001.

Let me frame my questions properly here.

1. In case of approval ; what does the HO send back to the applicant following the application made at NCS?
i.e. Is it an approval letter ? or Is it a ceremony appointment at local NCS? or Is it a form ?
Does applicant need to wait for more time for anything else from HO?
Do these doc(s) come in One post altogether?
Can the applicant contact the council for Private ceremony straightway after receiving the approval docs? Some people receive an approval letter and then a couple of weeks later the invitation letter where you need to contact the council to make an appointment either group or private ceremony. Other people (myself included) received one letter which is approval and invitation together and again, you contact the council and make whichever appointment you prefer.

2. I have heard a word 'Interview' quite often in the posts. Is this the 'Initial appointment' at NCS ? Or is there any separate Interview at a later stage during the process? Interview is done for British passport application. There is no interview for Naturalisation process. NCS is an appointment for submitting your application only.

guys, please be patient with my not-so-normal questions. I am trying to arrange the travel dates for my Wife and daughter. So just making sure i understand the process and approx. timelines. May I ask what travel and before or after submitting application??
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

vkv82
Newly Registered

Post by vkv82 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:43 pm

Thanks again CR001

1. I understand this now. Applicant may receive one letter or multiple letters from HO following their application approval. Either way, applicant needs to then call up the local council office to book for a Public / Private Ceremony slot.

Since we would be applying jointly my query is what happens in case my wife is not in the country when that Approval letter / Invitation letter comes through. Can i call up the council and book the slot (public/private) for both of us? OR Does she need to be in the country?

2. Okay, So the interview is for Brit Passport only which will happen when we have our citizenship certificate in Hand.

yes sure, we are looking at the travel plans just after submitting the docs at NCS. I am trying to work out how long would she (wife) be able to stay in India without causing any delays in the process.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:49 pm

Whichever way you receive the letter(s) you usually have to book appointment within 21 days I think (cant remember but might be 15 days) and you have to attend the ceremony within 3 months of approval otherwise you have to apply again unless there are compelling compassionate reasons. I am sure you could book appointment for both of you as you will have the relevant reference numbers on your letter.

Please bear in mind that applications over the summer generally take a little bit longer as its generally the busiest time.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

vkv82
Newly Registered

Post by vkv82 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:45 pm

Many Thanks CR001

Once the applicant gets the Citizenship certificate, how long on average do you reckon it further takes to get the British passport?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:19 pm

vkv82 wrote:Many Thanks CR001

Once the applicant gets the Citizenship certificate, how long on average do you reckon it further takes to get the British passport?
The guidance states approximately 6 weeks for first time adult passports but some applications do take less time and again, June to September is the busiest time for applications. A friend of mine applied, attended interview and received her passport all within 4 weeks.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

vkv82
Newly Registered

Post by vkv82 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:27 pm

Many Thanks CR001

I appreciate your time over my queries.

VK

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:29 pm

vkv82 wrote:Many Thanks CR001

I appreciate your time over my queries.

VK
You are welcome and good luck with your applications. Please update us on the timelines sticky.

Thanks

Char
Char (CR001 not Casa)

vkv82
Newly Registered

Post by vkv82 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:23 am

folks

i have just heard from one of my colleague that the Applicant receives a a piece of document along with the approval letter and that document needs to be completed (possibly ticking the right option) and returned to Council within 7 days.

Is that correct?

Does this doc need to be signed by applicants?

Please chip in with your experiences.

black_bird

Post by black_bird » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:36 am

hi all :)

being quite new to this board Im surprised to see there will be an interview when applying for passport.

will there be more interviews when renewing for a new UK passport then? Does anyone know if a person move away from the UK after having passport granted (say to work in france for few years), at passport renewal, is there a chance that passport renewal will get refused?

Thanks!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:39 am

vkv82 wrote:folks

i have just heard from one of my colleague that the Applicant receives a a piece of document along with the approval letter and that document needs to be completed (possibly ticking the right option) and returned to Council within 7 days.

Is that correct?

I received no such document with my approval/invitation letter, so perhaps if your colleague is able to elaborate more. Also, from reading other approval posts, no one has mentioned this at all. The advise I have already given you above is the correct sequence of events.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:46 am

black_bird wrote:hi all :)

being quite new to this board Im surprised to see there will be an interview when applying for passport.

will there be more interviews when renewing for a new UK passport then? Does anyone know if a person move away from the UK after having passport granted (say to work in france for few years), at passport renewal, is there a chance that passport renewal will get refused?

Thanks!
The interview for first time British passports has been in place for quite a while already. However this is not applicable for passport renewals and if you choose to live elsewhere, you should have no issue renewing your passport.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

vkv82
Newly Registered

Post by vkv82 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:52 am

CR001 wrote:

Is that correct?

I received no such document with my approval/invitation letter, so perhaps if your colleague is able to elaborate more. Also, from reading other approval posts, no one has mentioned this at all. The advise I have already given you above is the correct sequence of events.

I have just had a word with my colleague on this. He had received a document just after the approval letter (not quite the same day). This document asked him to make a choice between 'Oath' & 'Affirm' and then type in the date on the ceremony and send it to Council. He thinks (cant surely remember) that the doc didnt need to be signed.

black_bird

Post by black_bird » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:53 am

CR001 wrote:

Thanks!
The interview for first time British passports has been in place for quite a while already. However this is not applicable for passport renewals and if you choose to live elsewhere, you should have no issue renewing your passport.
THANK YOU!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:23 am

vkv82 wrote:
CR001 wrote:

Is that correct?

I have just had a word with my colleague on this. He had received a document just after the approval letter (not quite the same day). This document asked him to make a choice between 'Oath' & 'Affirm' and then type in the date on the ceremony and send it to Council. He thinks (cant surely remember) that the doc didnt need to be signed.
When you call the council to make an appointment they will also ask you which you want to do. It really is not a big issue or one that will create problems. Whether you do oath or affirmation is a personal choice.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

vkv82
Newly Registered

Post by vkv82 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:48 am

thx CR001

i was only concerned whether there is any document that needs to completed and returned to council or not. As said before, family is planning to go away and i might go too for few weeks. So, i was kinda hoping that friend of mine can check our posts for Approval letter and let us know. We will then (even from abroad) be able to call up the council to book a private slot for the ceremony.

So, knowing the actual process is important for me especially if there is any piece of doc that requires applicants attention.

black_bird

Post by black_bird » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:37 pm

CR001 wrote:

Thanks!

THANKS!!

I wonder if there are examples of people being granted british citizenship, but being refused for getting british passport?!!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:44 pm

black_bird wrote:
CR001 wrote:

Thanks!

THANKS!!

I wonder if there are examples of people being granted british citizenship, but being refused for getting british passport?!!
British citizens are entitle to a British passport. What exactly are you worried about. The interview is only so that IPS can confirm you are who you say you are as questions will be asked that hopefully only you will know.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

black_bird

Post by black_bird » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:54 pm

CR001 wrote:
black_bird wrote:
CR001 wrote:

Thanks!

THANKS!!

British citizens are entitle to a British passport. What exactly are you worried about. The interview is only so that IPS can confirm you are who you say you are as questions will be asked that hopefully only you will know.
THANKS :) Yes it just sounded confusing. Sorry I am only new here, wanted to understand it all, only just got my ILR on Monday.... So nothing specific really.

May I double check with you about days of absence, is it less than 100 days in the 12 months period and less than 300 in 5 years? WHOLE DAYS only as ILR?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:45 pm

black_bird wrote:May I double check with you about days of absence, is it less than 100 days in the 12 months period and less than 300 in 5 years? WHOLE DAYS only as ILR?
Applications based on 5 years residence :
Residential requirements
To demonstrate the residential requirements for naturalisation, you must have:
* been resident in the UK for at least five years (this is known as the residential qualifying period); and
* been present in the UK five years before the date of your application; and
* not spent more than 450 days outside the UK during the five-year period; and
* not spent more than 90 days outside the UK in the last 12 months of the five-year period; and
* not been in breach of the Immigration Rules at any stage during the five-year period.
Applications based on 3 years residence as spouse of BC/settled person
Residential requirements
In order to demonstrate the residential requirements for naturalisation you need to:
* have been resident in the United Kingdom for at least three years (this is known as the residential qualifying period); and
* have been present in the United Kingdom three years before the date of your application; and
* have not spent more than 270 days outside the United Kingdom during the three-year period; and
* have not spend more than 90 days outside the United Kingdom in the last 12 months of the three-year period; and
* have not been in breach of the immigration rules at any stage during the three-year period.
Char (CR001 not Casa)