ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

English B1 Level for Settlement OR Naturalisation ?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

vkv82
Newly Registered

English B1 Level for Settlement OR Naturalisation ?

Post by vkv82 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:03 am

folks

i have seen a lot of threads on the requirement of 'English B1 Level' certificate for applicants applying for naturalisation from End of Oct 2013 onwards.
Now then, i have gone through this link -> http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... am-mig.pdf
and there is abs nowhere they mention any such thing required for naturalisation applicants. Yes, there is one for ppl applying for Settlement. But ppl already holding the ILR and applying for naturalisation should not need to do this B1 english level test.

Please correct me if i am wrong here !?

lets take an example of someone who passed 'Life in UK Test' and got ILR in Nov 2012 and he is intending to apply for naturalisation Nov 2013.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: English B1 Level for Settlement OR Naturalisation ?

Post by Amber » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:07 am

vkv82 wrote:folks

i have seen a lot of threads on the requirement of 'English B1 Level' certificate for applicants applying for naturalisation from End of Oct 2013 onwards.
Now then, i have gone through this link -> http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... am-mig.pdf
and there is abs nowhere they mention any such thing required for naturalisation applicants. Yes, there is one for ppl applying for Settlement. But ppl already holding the ILR and applying for naturalisation should not need to do this B1 english level test.

Please correct me if i am wrong here !?

lets take an example of someone who passed 'Life in UK Test' and got ILR in Nov 2012 and he is intending to apply for naturalisation Nov 2013.
Those who apply for naturalisation on or after 28/10/13 will have to satisfy the new test regardless of when they were settled, unless they were settled with the inclusion of the B1 requirement.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

legalalien
United Kingdom

Post by legalalien » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:08 am

Hi vkv I think this will also apply for ILR holders who had their old style KOL test before october 2013:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... t-koll.pdf
The situation is different for those who applied or apply for settlement before 28 October 2013.
They will have satisfied the KoLL requirement by either passing the Life in the UK test or by taking an ESOL qualification (probably at a level below B1) and this by itself will not be sufficient should they later apply for naturalisation. They will need to satisfy the new KoLL requirement but if they have already passed the Life in the UK test will not need to retake it. For some people this will mean passing a relevant speaking and listening qualification for the first time. Others will need to pass a speaking and listening qualification at a higher level than they had to demonstrate to be
granted leave to enter or leave to remain in the UK.

vkv82
Newly Registered

Post by vkv82 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:16 am

thanks a lot 'legalalien'

the link you have posted seems to be the correct one.

And yes, i was wrong.

Regards
VK

antouk

Post by antouk » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:19 pm

Also, if the applicant posses a degree taught in English(can be verified in PBS calculator), they need not take ESOL/IELTS exam.
-HSMP(2008)->Tier 1(2009)->ILR(2013)->Naturalisation(2014)->OCI(2014)-

vkv82
Newly Registered

Post by vkv82 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:58 pm

@antouk

1. if the applicant holds a degree taught in english from UK and he has already proved it earlier visa applications i.e. tier 1 or ILR; then Yes, no need to do B1 level

2. if the applicant holds a degree taught in english from some other country then i suppose you need to get it checked with NARIC and make sure that you are exempt from the B1 test

antouk

Post by antouk » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:17 pm

vkv82 wrote:@antouk

1. if the applicant holds a degree taught in english from UK and he has already proved it earlier visa applications i.e. tier 1 or ILR; then Yes, no need to do B1 level

2. if the applicant holds a degree taught in english from some other country then i suppose you need to get it checked with NARIC and make sure that you are exempt from the B1 test
Statement of intent has not talked about getting NARIC check done. They already have a database of degrees taught in English, so probably degrees will be verified against that database. But thats just a guess.
-HSMP(2008)->Tier 1(2009)->ILR(2013)->Naturalisation(2014)->OCI(2014)-

Ayyubi72
- thin ice -

Post by Ayyubi72 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:26 pm

I think a chill pill is the best thing until rules are published.