ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Schengen visa-spouse of UK Citizen travelling to EU first

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

redridinghood
Newly Registered

Schengen visa-spouse of UK Citizen travelling to EU first

Post by redridinghood » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:35 pm

Hi there

I recently married my partner in the UK and my visa is to expire in 2 weeks. We are going to live in Germany or Italy but my husband has to work until the end of the month after giving notice.

My question is whether I can go to Germany or Italy first with a copy of his UK Passport and our marriage certificate and wait for him to join me before I believe I have the right to work under this visa. I am Australian.

I noticed on the form EU family members do not have to buy travel insurance/provide income from home country so would I bypass this arriving without him and be issued the visa? Or is this still a requirement?

Many thanks

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:00 pm

Being Australian, you should not encounter entry problems. If you do so on your own, then you will need to satisfy the authorities that you will not be a burden, have sufficient funds, etc. If you travel with or join your EU spouse, you will not have to have any of this.

redridinghood
Newly Registered

Post by redridinghood » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:24 pm

EUsmileWEallsmile wrote:Being Australian, you should not encounter entry problems. If you do so on your own, then you will need to satisfy the authorities that you will not be a burden, have sufficient funds, etc. If you travel with or join your EU spouse, you will not have to have any of this.
Thank you

I will have a copy of my husbands passport and marriage certificate as he will be joining me within a few weeks. Will I need to have health insurance and funds definetely also and what find of funds will be needed if I can work when he joins me within a month?

Thanks

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:11 am

RRH, for your entry into IT or DE to be entirely hassle-free (from an immigration stand point), you would need to either be (1) travelling with your husband or (2) joining him.

If you wish to go ahead of him then you will need to satisfy the authorities on what basis you wish to independently enter or reside in whichever member state you choose. I say 'independently' because at that time your EU spouse would neither be present at the member state's border or in the country.

I do not think you can be covered by EU free movement rights if you are not travelling with or joining your EU spouse, so my advice would be to travel under one of the aforementioned options.

redridinghood
Newly Registered

Post by redridinghood » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:20 pm

Plum70 wrote:RRH, for your entry into IT or DE to be entirely hassle-free (from an immigration stand point), you would need to either be (1) travelling with your husband or (2) joining him.

If you wish to go ahead of him then you will need to satisfy the authorities on what basis you wish to independently enter or reside in whichever member state you choose. I say 'independently' because at that time your EU spouse would neither be present at the member state's border or in the country.

I do not think you can be covered by EU free movement rights if you are not travelling with or joining your EU spouse, so my advice would be to travel under one of the aforementioned options.
Thanks

Will I need a return ticket to Australia or will a flight somewhere else in Europe be sufficient? Once my husband joins me I will be able to work and reside in an EU country with him but wondering how I go about explaining this? Thanks

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:27 pm

redridinghood wrote: Will I need a return ticket to Australia or will a flight somewhere else in Europe be sufficient? Once my husband joins me I will be able to work and reside in an EU country with him but wondering how I go about explaining this? Thanks
You will need to satisfy the IO of what your travel intensions are and you will have to work out what documentary proof suitably support these.

Any reason (you wish to disclose) why you cannot wait to travel with your EU spouse? It will make your life a whole lot easier.

redridinghood
Newly Registered

Post by redridinghood » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:31 pm

Plum70 wrote:
redridinghood wrote: Will I need a return ticket to Australia or will a flight somewhere else in Europe be sufficient? Once my husband joins me I will be able to work and reside in an EU country with him but wondering how I go about explaining this? Thanks
You will need to satisfy the IO of what your travel intensions are and you will have to work out what documentary proof suitably support these.

Any reason (you wish to disclose) why you cannot wait to travel with your EU spouse? It will make your life a whole lot easier.

What would you advise as proof?

A copy of his passport and a letter from him advising he is finishing work and finishing his MA, tying up everything for himself and explaining I have to go as my visa expires with his contact details, would not be sufficient?

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:53 pm

Your suggestion may help. Otherwise, you could just satisfy the not so very arduous requirements for entry in your own right.