ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Living expense in UK after HSMP...

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Paulhsmp

Living expense in UK after HSMP...

Post by Paulhsmp » Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:01 am

Hello,

I had a check with one of my friend regarding the living expense in UK after coming there through HSMP. This is meant for a 2 member family.
Can you comment on this?
Is there any other expense, which we should count on?

Category...................GBP..................INR
House Rent................650..................55900
House hold+food....... 300..................25800
Water + electricity..... 200..................17200
Council Tax................150..................12900
Petrol..........................100..................8600
Insurance....................50...................4300
Telephone..................40....................3440
TV...............................25....................2150
Total........................1515...............130290

simar

Re: Living expense in UK after HSMP...

Post by simar » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:06 am

Paulhsmp wrote:Hello,

I had a check with one of my friend regarding the living expense in UK after coming there through HSMP. This is meant for a 2 member family.
Can you comment on this?
Is there any other expense, which we should count on?

Category...................GBP..................INR
House Rent................650..................55900
House hold+food....... 300..................25800
Water + electricity..... 200..................17200
Council Tax................150..................12900
Petrol..........................100..................8600
Insurance....................50...................4300
Telephone..................40....................3440
TV...............................25....................2150
Total........................1515...............130290

car maintaince cost yearly is purly on luck. This is what I have to pay since last year

car insurnce yearly 350
car break down cover 100

MOT after one year -- 50 + 450 on repair of car before issuing MOT

More repair on car last year -- 1000

UK driving licence fee 40+ 60

learning lessons 20 pound per hour -- cost around 500

All above numercial figures are in pounds

Lucky I pass the test in first go.

I will suggest to try buy new car even on monthly installment rather than try get old one from private dealer. Or at least try buy not more than 2 year old car

These inital cost will come up on very first year

By by the way even after making so called salary jump from 35 k to 45k All I am looking to is 1 bed room flat for around 190k with monthly payment to 1150 pounds + 75 personal insurnce for next 30 years . As this is what is avaible here in market if want to live in good area . Life after hsmp is not that simple.

Paulhsmp

Post by Paulhsmp » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:29 am

Hi Simar,
It seems that you have spent around 2000 pounds for your car towards the maintenance, petrol, driving licence, insurance etc etc...
I really wonder about these expences.

In India, I have a salary of 9 Lakhs per annum and I consider it as a good amount for a proper living in India.
I am thinking about UK because of better living style, a dust free environment and some savings...

How much do you consider as a minimum required salary to go with an average living in UK for a family of two members.
I have 6 years of Experience in embedded domain.

It is in the range of 30k pounds, 40k pounds, 50k pounds or even more.
If I get an offer of 30k poundsper annum, should I accept it?

Please share your views.

indian234

Post by indian234 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:35 am

you said you got an offer of 30K, just calculate your net income and match with your indian income.

regards

Paulhsmp

Post by Paulhsmp » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:52 am

Hello Indian234,

Right now I don't have any offer in hand.
I am trying to figure out what is the acceptable salary in UK.
I am giving telephonic interviews in these days.

Regarding your question...
In my salary in India, around 2 lakhs will go as tax and other deduction.
Living expenses including the rent, car, house hold etc etc may come around 3 lakhs per year..
What left (around 4 lakhs ) will go as a saving.

In Uk, if we get a salary of 35k pounds per annum, after tax there will be 25k or 27k.
In that I calculated a living expence of 18k to 20k. (See the first posting)
What left is 7k pounds per annum will go as savings.

Hello Indian234,
By your question, are you trying to tell that 30k is very small amount??! or otherwise?

sjgul

Post by sjgul » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:55 am

http://netsalary.blogspot.com/ can give you an idea of your in-hand salary at £ 30K , £ 40K and £50K etc.

The cost of living in UK is very high. Ir-respective of your number of years of experience in India , you would get in the range of £ 35K +/- 2K outside of London. This is ok for a healthy and good living but don't expect much savings in this country.

A home worth rent £ 650 is USD $ 1300 which you can get in the costliest San Jose, California and USD $ 650 in Texas which is a nominal £ 325 per month but not possible in UK. A home in Central London of even 1 BHK would cost £ 1000/- whereas outside London , not less than £ 600-£650.

Petrol cost is very high.

In a nutshell, I have realised , cost of living too high , IT salaries OK OK (not high) as compared to US and India and possiblity of getting a 20-30% jump after leaving current/first job of a low salary is also not possible as
1). no other employer ready to give that much salary jump.
2). Salary can't be lied as P-45 document needs to be shown to next employer at the time of joining.
3). Salary increments in the same company in the range of 2-4 % only p.a. irrespective of your joining salary and number of years of experience.

£ 30K salary is not a salary to come here , no less than £ 35K should be accepted outside London; In London , no less than £ 45K.

Cheers.

Paulhsmp

Post by Paulhsmp » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:22 am

Hi sjgul,
Your reply was useful.

So I consider a salary of 40k out side London as a decent salary for me.
Am I right?

Also...
Will it cause any issue if I receive and accept an offer, process the HSMP under urgent treatment and later join a different company on a different offer.
What I am asking is...
Is there any legal issues if I do so? Will this affect anyway to my Visa.

sjgul

Post by sjgul » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:28 am

Yes , £ 40K is decent enough , I assumed you had an HSMP, but anyhow getting an offer and applying for urgent treatment and then later on leaving the company does not put you in any legal binding. You are free to take another offer.

The only thing which I want you to consider is settlement cost and then extension after 2 years as per the current extension criteria and possibly different extension criteria which may be changed abruptly any time by HO :lol:

ashishashah
India

Post by ashishashah » Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:16 am

Ok..Let me try to give more inputs..

I am from India..My sal was 11 lakhs in India..

I came to UK on HSMP..here from last 2 months...But i ahve realizsed that cost of living is very high..I work and stay Just outside London ..

Rent is 700 and other expenses are 400 ..I paid 900 as Deposit (and chances of getting it back fully is nil)..

My saving is aorund 1000/1200 GBP per month (which is around 1 lakh INR)..

So yearly savings is 12 lakhs..In India i was saving like 4 laks per annum.

But now i feel that all this hassles is not worth for 8 laks per annum extra..
I mean staying in Home country is a different experience then in abroad (not only UK , and country abroad i mean)..
I had been to US as well..US is cheaper then UK..

So choice is yours..

Hope it helps..
Ashish

tomkin

Post by tomkin » Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:49 pm

ashishashah wrote: Rent is 700 and other expenses are 400 ..I paid 900 as Deposit (and chances of getting it back fully is nil)..
Why wont you get your deposit back ?? Have you brought down the roof.

This is not Bangalore.

ashishashah
India

Post by ashishashah » Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:24 pm

Hi,

From what ever i heard from my collegues and posts in non -immigration forums, landlords are not keen to give the full deposit back...Depends upon their mood,wish(greed) , how much they want to pay you back...

So lets c ..

I dont know about Banglore buddy, but in Bombay normally landlords give full deposits back..

Ashekt

Post by Ashekt » Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:32 pm

I found this article really interesting and I am sure everybody have various situation and observations.
I would consider myself a little more lucky as my Indian Salary was way less than verything quoted here although I have worked with the best of companies in India but when I came along with my spouse on HSMP, we both were on equal platform in terms of work experience. We started working as contract employee and gradually do build upon. Now my spouse have a Perm job of arnd £50K and very soon I would also be drawing around the same sum after getting a perm job for which the process in on....you should have a figure in mind but that does not in any case means that if u were drawing a certain sum in India u would draw a particular sum here...that's purely by luck and good break....I always have an opinion that working in the home country is better as u r comfortable but still I think there are 10-12 years of ur life where u can give the maximum so be here for that time and then after that u have an option to go back....working in UK is always financially benificial...I live in London and our expenses comes out to be arnd £1400 pm...we don't have a car and we pay arnd £650 as rent inclusive everything...travelling cost must be arnd £350 (for 2) and internet and phone arnd £50 and rest misc and grocery...
outside london it is much cheaper....but than salary levels also reduces...

simar

Post by simar » Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:48 am

Paulhsmp wrote:Hi Simar,
It seems that you have spent around 2000 pounds for your car towards the maintenance, petrol, driving licence, insurance etc etc...
I really wonder about these expences.

In India, I have a salary of 9 Lakhs per annum and I consider it as a good amount for a proper living in India.
I am thinking about UK because of better living style, a dust free environment and some savings...

How much do you consider as a minimum required salary to go with an average living in UK for a family of two members.
I have 6 years of Experience in embedded domain.

It is in the range of 30k pounds, 40k pounds, 50k pounds or even more.
If I get an offer of 30k poundsper annum, should I accept it?

Please share your views.

Try come on 35 k . Then make jump after a year. to 40+ level. Also if your spouse can work. That will be good. 9 lakhs per annum is now less earning salary on embedded domain. Other option u can have is even try Microsoft hyd ( embedded testing team)or Bangalore companies . for 18 -21 lakhs plus. Then also the saving is same.
The salaries in India have gain fast in last 2 years. I got this fast jump from 35k to 45k within year via threat to resign (after making dependency of me for critical work). You have to speak softly & play aggressivly, be in India or uk . Anyway ,Every one will have different sitiuation to face
The embedded domain most of work is either in Cambridge or on M3-M4 corridor. best of luck.

ashishashah
India

Post by ashishashah » Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:27 am

Very intresting...Frankly if you are in IT , and doing well in India, then think twice ....I am not saying, DONT..But only if you get 'good' salary in UK..

The point is in last 2 years, Salary in India is higly competative,so if you do proper calculations , your savings in UK would be slightly more..

I my self have come to UK 2 months back, but after looking at the costs /rents etc, i am thinking that have i made the right decision??I had a very comfortable life back in Bombay...Was not saving that much...
But not bad

Ashekt

Post by Ashekt » Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:38 pm

Ashish,

I guess it is too early to deoce if u have made a right decision or not...when u first come here u always struggle to adjust with the currency conversions but when u start earning u gets comfortable...is ur wife working as well...it would be good if both of u r working....i m not from an IT background but I know jobs in India are good...but even u if stay here for some years u won't be at loss as u r still earning but also having international exposure to ur CV..u can then go back to India also...I have never regretted coming here although the only point which is not good is the feeling of missing ur family and friends....
so my advice is hang around and things will settle for sure...I find job life much better here as it was really stressed in India...working long hours is a trend there....

ashishashah
India

Post by ashishashah » Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:04 pm

HI Ashekt,

May be you are right...that is the reason i am not deciding any thing as of now...
My wife is not working...she is a Homoepathic Doc, which is not recognised in UK :(...

May be when things are settled , i might feel better..

Thanks for the advice..

Ashish

Ashekt

Post by Ashekt » Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:08 pm

Good that's the spirit Ashish...

Don't worry there are n number of jobs here...if she cannot do something with homeopathic job she can look for something...if she is a graduate she might get some good job....keep looking on the site for jobs and also in newspapers....I am sure things would work out for both of u...

Paulhsmp

Post by Paulhsmp » Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:20 pm

Whether the recent changes in the immigration policy has affected the salary of Software professionals in UK?
Is UK still a good place to work?

sandip_panigrahi
Newly Registered

UK is still a good place to work

Post by sandip_panigrahi » Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:25 am

paulhsmp,
Me too looking for HSMp in a couple of months from now.
I have already been to UK and stayed there for a year,and believe me its a good place out of this crowd which we get into in India everyday.Cost of living is quite high,I was staying in Birmingham and was spending some 1000-1200 GBP per month.

If I get something around 35k GBP it will be a good option still.IT market is still in green in the UK and what more,its just 8 hours from India.
Last but not the least,staying in UK has helped a lot in the sense of doing quality work and also has boosted my CV.So as of now ,I put a YES option for the UK.The international exp will count a lot in the long run.