ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Residency Qualifying period

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

ya75khan
Newly Registered

Residency Qualifying period

Post by ya75khan » Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:37 pm

Hi Guys,
I have a very simple question. I have searched a lot but not getting a definite answer.

In the case of spouse of British Citizen, three year residency is required.

Does this period has to be immediately before the application being made?
i.e.
If a spouse remain in UK from Jan 2010 to January 2013 ( more than three years and all criteria of residency are met).
Then goes abroad for six months.
Can he then apply for naturalization on the basis of the 3 year period he spent ending in January 2013? even though he has spent six months abroad subsequently?

Ayyubi72
- thin ice -

Post by Ayyubi72 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:45 pm

It has to be immediately before the application date.

For naturalisation, your have to count everything backwards form the date of application. You have to count three years backwards from date of application.

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:46 pm

residential qualifying period is from the date of application (ie date application received by UKBA) counting backward 3 years (or 5 years).

Ayyubi72
- thin ice -

Post by Ayyubi72 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:30 pm

ban.s wrote:residential qualifying period is from the date of application (ie date application received by UKBA) counting backward 3 years (or 5 years).
I said that already :lol:

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:18 pm

You are confusing residence and presence.

1 - you must have been resident in the UK either 3 or 5 years, but for permitted absences and

2 - you must have been physically present in the UK either 3 or 5 years prior to the HO receiving the application.

You must also be careful as travelling outside for 6 months + during your application could raise questions about your future intentions.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.