ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British citizenship or settlement visa

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

makiz63
Newly Registered

British citizenship or settlement visa

Post by makiz63 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:57 pm

I am a British by naturalisation. I want to apply for my child who was born and lives outside uk to join me. The child is 16 years old.

I am not sure if I can apply using the MN1 forms or just normal visa settlement. One of the parent lives with the child as we are not together.

I have read the MN1 forms but the information is confusing and not clear.

Thanking you in advance for your help

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:00 pm

If the child was born before you naturalized, he or she must apply for a settlement visa. It seems from what you have stated that sole responsibility might be an issue

englishlife

Re: British citizenship or settlement visa

Post by englishlife » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:41 am

makiz63 wrote:I am a British by naturalisation. I want to apply for my child who was born and lives outside uk to join me. The child is 16 years old.

I am not sure if I can apply using the MN1 forms or just normal visa settlement. One of the parent lives with the child as we are not together.

I have read the MN1 forms but the information is confusing and not clear.

Thanking you in advance for your help
ILR

makiz63
Newly Registered

Post by makiz63 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:34 am

Thank you for your responses, it seems I will have to apply to Settlement Visa

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:39 am

I assume you were only recently naturalised and not when the child was born?
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

makiz63
Newly Registered

Post by makiz63 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:22 pm

I have had a look again and I am confused again. Its clear that I cant apply for British Citizenship and hence have been looking for the ILR or settlement visa. There are 2 options but am not sure which form to fill in either the VAF form or the SET(F) form.

VAF4A application form - partners, children and other family of UK citizens or settled persons (settlement)
SET(F) Application for permanent residence in the United Kingdom as a family member of a permanent resident
If we qualify for the SET one can we apply for this from UK even though the child is not here
The information is just too much on immigration and its so confusing

This site is so helpful, wonder what we could do without it

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:29 pm

SET(F) is not relevant, and is only for people already inside the UK. Before you go wasting time and money on visa applications, you really need to find out if the child actually qualifies. If the mother is still in charge of the child it's not going to work. You need specific legal advice on the child's status with regard to your sole responsibility; just because you remit money for his welfare is not sufficient and you can't expect the application to succeed without this.