ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Overstayer leaving the uk

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

sarahdo
Newly Registered

Overstayer leaving the uk

Post by sarahdo » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:27 pm

Hi, I've overstayed in the uk for 4 months now, and recently i decided to voluntarily leave the uk . My ticket is bought for next sat. My question is, what will happen to me at the airport? Am I allowed to leave? And if I give them the addresses and telephone numebr of where i've been staying while overstayed, will they call to verify ? And will that family who supported me have any problems with the UKBA ?If yes, is it possible I tell them i dont know the addresse where ive been staying to not have any problem ? Please help me out.

ijamesf

Post by ijamesf » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:35 pm

My fiance and i recently and voluntarily returned to her home country after she had overstayed, to marry and apply for a spouse VISA.

Of course you are allowed to leave

We got through check in and security fine, only when we got to the gate to board the plane were there UKBA officials waiting, not necessarily for us, they were just double checking all passports and anyone who had overstayed details were taken, we were not taken away from the gate, nothing scary etc, we didnt miss the plane. They just took the info for data tracking purposes i assume.

They did not make any checks whilst we were waiting and they did not stamp the passport.

The airport was Heathrow, but they told us UKBA would be at all major airports on flights where it be most likely to catch up with overstayers. i.e. direct flights back to countries where immigration to the UK is high etc.

We applied for the VISA a couple of weeks later and were successful.

To my knowledge no checks were made to addresses where we lived or my friends and family that supported our application, in relation to the airport check or the application.

So try and relax and be prepared to hang around if the UKBA are at the gate.

egoneo

Re: Overstayer leaving the uk

Post by egoneo » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:04 am

sarahdo wrote:Hi, I've overstayed in the uk for 4 months now, and recently i decided to voluntarily leave the uk . My ticket is bought for next sat. My question is, what will happen to me at the airport? Am I allowed to leave? And if I give them the addresses and telephone numebr of where i've been staying while overstayed, will they call to verify ? And will that family who supported me have any problems with the UKBA ?If yes, is it possible I tell them i dont know the addresse where ive been staying to not have any problem ? Please help me out.
you don't have to give them anything. you are saving them the money and hassle of deporting you so theyll be happy to see you go. Theres no immigration control on outbound anyone can leave the country if you have a ticket. Its only when you come in they ask all the questions.

however if you decide to return you better have a damn good reason why you overstayed for four months. they most likely wont give you a visa again because they wont be sure if youll overstay again.

yankeebrit

Post by yankeebrit » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:30 am

If they don't stamp people out how will they ever be able to find out if someone overstayed?

ijamesf

Post by ijamesf » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:28 am

Talking from my experiences, and as said above, they do not stamp you out but they will make a note of your passport number and previous VISA number which is stamped into your passport upon entry to the UK.

They also asked a few questions about my wife's stay but as long as you have answers they won't dig for any more information than that and you'll be on your way.

ijamesf

Post by ijamesf » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:41 am

It appears our stop on the way out has had repercussions.

Although my wife now has a valid VISA her record has been marked as someone with poor immigration and everytime we go through the border she is confronted with further questions and doubt of legitimacy from the UKBA official which causes delay to journeys and stress to us both.

Each time the VISA has had to be rang through for it to be checked.

However, when passing through calais after a short trip accross the channel when it happened again, the UKBA official said she has put in a request to head office to remove the black mark over my wife's name to stop it happening again. No promise on it being succesfully removed or not though!

We will wait and see, no intention to go abroad anytime soon though so we wont know until we try i guess!