ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Right of Abode Certificate

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

snowflake007

Right of Abode Certificate

Post by snowflake007 » Wed May 15, 2013 12:53 pm

Hello everyone,

Can any one tell me the processing times for Right of abode certificate for baby if applied from UK and also if applied from India.

Thanks for your help

snowflake007

hi

Post by snowflake007 » Thu May 16, 2013 12:56 pm

please reply anyone. Thanks

snowflake007

anyone

Post by snowflake007 » Fri May 24, 2013 2:19 pm

seniors, would be most grateful for your help.

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Fri May 24, 2013 6:31 pm

Not many qualify for ROA on their Indian passports; a certain percentage of qualified applicants (rather their parents) choose not to do so and instead go for BP; from the remaining lot whoever has done that may not necessarily be on this forum - so keep this thread bumping from time to time should someone notice and share experience.

else be the first one and share your experience.

snowflake007

Thanks

Post by snowflake007 » Fri May 24, 2013 9:43 pm

Thanks a lot for your reply.

I believe my newborn should be qualifying as I have british nationality and my wife is Indian citizen and the child will be born in uk.
we plan for an indian nationality with a right of abode in uk sticker on it. At a later stage we may get the child a british passport and then an OCI.
would have been great if someone told us approx times for right of abode sticker as no such info is available from the site.
I hope someone replies soon.

cheers

eashkuma4
India

Right of abode

Post by eashkuma4 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:59 pm

It takes hardly 2-3 weeks within the UK

I got my son in 2 weeks

ric1982
Member of Standing

Re: Right of abode

Post by ric1982 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:42 am

eashkuma4 wrote:It takes hardly 2-3 weeks within the UK

I got my son in 2 weeks
What documents do we need to submit? and what the validity of the certificate? (I know its lifelong but the visa sticker needs to be renewed every few years)

eashkuma4
India

Right of Abode

Post by eashkuma4 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:45 am

Documents are
Either parents passports showing ILR stamp
Full Version of Child Birth certificate

The validity is expiry of passport date, every time you get a new passport you have to renew it, however the eligibility is life long

ric1982
Member of Standing

Re: Right of Abode

Post by ric1982 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:48 am

eashkuma4 wrote:Documents are
Either parents passports showing ILR stamp
Full Version of Child Birth certificate

The validity is expiry of passport date, every time you get a new passport you have to renew it, however the eligibility is life long
Thanks for the quick reply. Is it possible to get ROA if both parents are BC?

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/briti ... nts-in-uk/

Also is this the correct link for the application?

eashkuma4
India

Right of Abode

Post by eashkuma4 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:52 am

Ofcourse, it is Possible to get although both parents are British. the application and fee payment can be done online.

generally it is called as Certificate of Entitlement for Right of Abode, not just right of abode

The only thing is, you have to check with Indian High commission if they issue an Indian Passport when both parents are British.

Have you checked it already?

ric1982
Member of Standing

Post by ric1982 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:56 am

eashkuma4 wrote:Ofcourse, it is Possible to get although both parents are British. the application and fee payment can be done online.

generally it is called as Certificate of Entitlement for Right of Abode, not just right of abode

The only thing is, you have to check with Indian High commission if they issue an Indian Passport when both parents are British.

Have you checked it already?
Yes just got passport yesterday. Before my spouse become BC :)

And I think here's the actual link https://apply.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/ia ... STATE=true

eashkuma4
India

Right of abode

Post by eashkuma4 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:57 am

Okay, and now your spouse applied for BC?

You have to check if you can renewal the passport after 5 years as you both are BC

Any way, as I said you can apply

ric1982
Member of Standing

Re: Right of abode

Post by ric1982 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:16 am

eashkuma4 wrote:Okay, and now your spouse applied for BC?

You have to check if you can renewal the passport after 5 years as you both are BC

Any way, as I said you can apply
So does it mean that even now if child is IC? just because the passport expires , he/she can not apply for new passport?!!!

eashkuma4
India

Right of Abode

Post by eashkuma4 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:18 am

Not really sure about it, best thing is speak to the Indian High Commission.

I spoke to some one in Edingburgh High Commission and they informed we can renew child passport although both parents are British.

Quite confusing, so speak to them directly and they will answer

ric1982
Member of Standing

Post by ric1982 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:20 am

eashkuma4 wrote:Not really sure about it, best thing is speak to the Indian High Commission.

I spoke to some one in Edingburgh High Commission and they informed we can renew child passport although both parents are British.

Many thanks for the quick responses. It was really valuable. I didnt knew all these details but I'll sure enquire about this.

Thanks

ric1982
Member of Standing

Post by ric1982 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:12 pm

ric1982 wrote:
eashkuma4 wrote:Not really sure about it, best thing is speak to the Indian High Commission.

Many thanks for the quick responses. It was really valuable. I didnt knew all these details but I'll sure enquire about this.

Thanks
Just made the online application. For some reason the Applicant's nationality came out as British!! Did you had same issue?

Thanks,

P

eashkuma4
India

passport

Post by eashkuma4 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:14 pm

There is some one who had hte same problem, please look at other countries index

Some one wrote their experience

ric1982
Member of Standing

Re: passport

Post by ric1982 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:21 pm

eashkuma4 wrote:There is some one who had hte same problem, please look at other countries index

Some one wrote their experience
Just made the search for "ABODE AND FORM" and "ABODE" (which comes up with a lot). but nothing related to the form error.
Any idea about what terms do I need search?

eashkuma4
India

Right of Abode

Post by eashkuma4 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:12 pm

OKay I understood what you Mean,

Yes applicant Nationality is British not Indian. Since the applicant is British born but you took Indian by descent you are now going for Right of abode instead British Passport that the applicant is free from Immigration control

I selected British only

ric1982
Member of Standing

Post by ric1982 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:15 pm

eashkuma4 wrote:OKay I understood what you Mean,

Yes applicant Nationality is British not Indian. Since the applicant is British born but you took Indian by descent you are now going for Right of abode instead British Passport that the applicant is free from Immigration control

I selected British only
Not sure if that's right (I might be wrong here). Applicant's nationality is Indian (my daughter has Indian passport). and when you fill the ROA form on the desktop there is no option to choose applicant's nationality.

eashkuma4
India

ROA

Post by eashkuma4 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:20 pm

Sir,

Your Daughter is born Dual national

Let me explain - Right of Abode is given only to British nationals and not for others which is why the form itself has only British

Since your daughter is eligible for dual national, you took Indian Passport because India doesnt allow her to have another country passport

In order her to tkae away from this country and bring her back you need a visa, since she is british born visa is not given to citizens, henceforth the only way to prove she is born here is COE of ROA

FYI ROA Is given only to British Nationals who don't have a British Passport, if you have a British Passport you can still get ROA on another country passport but not COE

COE Is Certificate of Entitlement andis given only if you dont have British Passport and if you do you don;t qualify for COE

Example-if I am naturalized as British but I want to keep Indian Passport because I like to have it, then instead going for British Passport I can go for ROA ,but since we are majors India doesnt allow us to have dual nationality, but minors are exempted

ric1982
Member of Standing

Re: ROA

Post by ric1982 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:25 pm

eashkuma4 wrote:Sir,

Your Daughter is born Dual national

Let me explain - Right of Abode is given only to British nationals and not for others which is why the form itself has only British

Since your daughter is eligible for dual national, you took Indian Passport because India doesnt allow her to have another country passport

In order her to tkae away from this country and bring her back you need a visa, since she is british born visa is not given to citizens, henceforth the only way to prove she is born here is COE of ROA

FYI ROA Is given only to British Nationals who don't have a British Passport, if you have a British Passport you can still get ROA on another country passport but not COE

COE Is Certificate of Entitlement andis given only if you dont have British Passport and if you do you don;t qualify for COE

Example-if I am naturalized as British but I want to keep Indian Passport because I like to have it, then instead going for British Passport I can go for ROA ,but since we are majors India doesnt allow us to have dual nationality, but minors are exempted
Got it thanks for the detail explanation. :)

Appreciate your time and effort.

eashkuma4
India

ROA

Post by eashkuma4 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:37 pm

Sir,

You are always welcome

When I applied there was no one having experience in such thing, so literally I wasted time and money but dont want that to happen with others and share my exp

the application is straight forward and u get in 2 weeks, so just go for it

ric1982
Member of Standing

Re: ROA

Post by ric1982 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:46 pm

eashkuma4 wrote:Sir,

You are always welcome

When I applied there was no one having experience in such thing, so literally I wasted time and money but dont want that to happen with others and share my exp

the application is straight forward and u get in 2 weeks, so just go for it
Well done +1
I am sure others will use this valuable information as I am.

snowflake007

ROA

Post by snowflake007 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:54 am

Dear eashkuma4 and ric1982

Thank you guys for sharing your experience which is very valuable since very few people have an experience on this. Would like to ask you a few doubts-

1. Did you submit parents original passports when registering birth and applying for Indian passport of newborn child at CGI/HCI ?
2. How long did it take to get the indian registration of birth and indian passport for newborn child and were you able to do both things together ? Also did you apply in person or by post ?
3.Did you submit a handwritten declaration of non acquisition of british citizenship or did you apply for certificate of non acquisition of british citizenship from UKBA and how long does it take to get one in case of the latter ?

Would really appreciate your advise and experience.
Thanks